26/02/16 11:20 AM
R
redtuesday Offline OP
stranger
redtuesday  Offline OP
stranger
R

Hi,

haven't bought the game yet (although I followed the game a while after the kickstarter) since I heard the story is only so-so. But now with the enhanced edition out and the game on sale again on gog.com I will probably get it. Mainly because the editor interests me, but I would like to ask a few questions after reading this forum section a bit.

- if I buy the gog version can I use the editor (if the editor for the EE get's released)?
- I read that it's possible to manipulate ingame assets, but is it possible to create your own assets in blender, 3dsmax, clara.io, whatever, with your own animations etc. and import it into the game?
- is it true that the scripting language has only if, but no else if, and no or "||" ?
- can I use C++ instead of the scripting language (using an api or something else)?
- if I don't want to mod the main story, but instead want to make a standalone mod I have to reimplement all the convenience functions that are present for the main story (read that somwhere here, but can't find it now)?
- can I import my own music and ambient sounds?
- can I create completly new spells with new soundeffects, graphics etc.?
- basically, how powerful is the editior? Let's be unrealistic and say I have 50 workstations and I have 100 tentacle arms which can simultanously use these 50 workstations, given enough time, would I be able to create Planescape Torment with it (no, I don't plan on doing that, I don't have 100 tentacle arms, the copyright problems aside)?

Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #579746
26/02/16 05:04 PM
26/02/16 05:04 PM
SniperHF Offline

old hand
SniperHF  Offline

old hand

Originally Posted By: redtuesday
Hi,

haven't bought the game yet (although I followed the game a while after the kickstarter) since I heard the story is only so-so. But now with the enhanced edition out and the game on sale again on gog.com I will probably get it. Mainly because the editor interests me, but I would like to ask a few questions after reading this forum section a bit.

- if I buy the gog version can I use the editor (if the editor for the EE get's released)?
- I read that it's possible to manipulate ingame assets, but is it possible to create your own assets in blender, 3dsmax, clara.io, whatever, with your own animations etc. and import it into the game?
- is it true that the scripting language has only if, but no else if, and no or "||" ?
- can I use C++ instead of the scripting language (using an api or something else)?
- if I don't want to mod the main story, but instead want to make a standalone mod I have to reimplement all the convenience functions that are present for the main story (read that somwhere here, but can't find it now)?
- can I import my own music and ambient sounds?
- can I create completly new spells with new soundeffects, graphics etc.?
- basically, how powerful is the editior? Let's be unrealistic and say I have 50 workstations and I have 100 tentacle arms which can simultanously use these 50 workstations, given enough time, would I be able to create Planescape Torment with it (no, I don't plan on doing that, I don't have 100 tentacle arms, the copyright problems aside)?

1. The main problem with having ONLY the GOG editor is you can't upload your mod to the steam workshop where the vast majority of players are. But yes you can use the GOG editor.

2. You can create and import assets to some extent. I'm not a graphics person so I really don't know to what extent. I know that on occasion I've run into instances of being locked out of certain modes due to lacking developer privileges.

3. Yes and no on the scripting. The "story editor" scripting engine is limited in this regard. Character and Item scripts have more statement options.

4. Standalone mods, yeah you need to re-implement some of the basic systems. From looking at some of the difference between the EE and the original it seems like more of them are available without re-implementing. That said it's not that hard. Took me about 3 days and that was with minimal knowledge of scripting.

5. Sounds are almost a total no-go right now. Hope this isn't the case with the EE but who knows. What you can do is open up the audio packages and replace sounds but that only gets you so far.

6. Spell effects, dunno for sure. Visual probably but sound I doubt it.

7. The main thing I'd say about the editor is, it's designed to make Divinity games. In the context of that framework you can spit out content pretty damn fast. The problem is if you want something deeper like say tentacle arming PS:T you'd run into unanticipated roadblocks and it's hard to say exactly what they would be. If you had access to all of the import options I'm quite sure the editor would do what you are asking. The dialog editor is a pain in the ass though and not made for extensive branching conversations. Supposedly D:OS 2 editor's Dialog editor is better but that will not be in the D:OS EE editor.

The thing I woulds say to do is wargame it out. Make an example of each thing you want to import into the game and see if it works. This won't be possible till the EE editor is a thing.

One thing to keep in mind while searching this forum, if you go to the bottom by default it only shows threads from the last three months. Change it to from the beginning and do the same when using search. Some of the older stuff is erroneous but there are useful threads back there too.

This is probably the most useful thread around regarding assets:
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=564303#Post564303

Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #579783
27/02/16 05:34 PM
27/02/16 05:34 PM
R
redtuesday Offline OP
stranger
redtuesday  Offline OP
stranger
R

Hi SniperHF,

thanks for your comprehensive anwser.

1. oh, but that should not be a problem. Until I am proficient enough to create the things I like with the editor the game is probably even cheaper than now with the sale. laugh (but I have to say I don't like it that steam monopolizes the modding scene since most people buy it there. sigh.)

Yeah, the thread you linked was the thread I found so far. Will read it to get a better understanding about the asset possibilies. smile

Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #580850
30/03/16 04:49 PM
30/03/16 04:49 PM
norlin Offline

stranger
norlin  Offline

stranger

Is it possible to make fights in real-time?
In the default game, I can use any spells/skills outside battle and each has a real-time timing.

So, theoretically, is it possible to make diablo-style-hack-n-slash game with the editor?

Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #580854
30/03/16 06:05 PM
30/03/16 06:05 PM
A
Abraxas* Offline
addict
Abraxas*  Offline
addict
A

Principally it is possible to create a real-time combat system but as far as I noticed there would be some notable limitations; and they touch, primarily, features a hack-n-slash game would absolutely need.

- you need to press two buttons to attack enemies (ctrl + click)
- you don't move to an enemy if you ctrl+click on him and hold the buttons; you have to set your 'waypoint', wait for arrival and attack then
- so you need to target very precisely to hit (means you would need quite big enemies; but that's convention of the genre)
- there is no permanent attack when you hold attack buttons
- animations are too slow (could be changed though)
- EE forces you to wait for the animations being completely executed until you can attack again
- no pause option (problematic for real time combat where you control several characters; for hack n slash it does not matter)

These are the first things I can think of. Real time combat in general would be okay, I think (already tried it out a bit), as long as you control just one single character. But the hack-n-slash would be more a click-n-fail game.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #580943
01/04/16 05:26 AM
01/04/16 05:26 AM
Cromcrom Offline
addict
Cromcrom  Offline
addict

DO NOT buy the game expecting a good editor. And not even the EEE, as the bug report thread is growing, just like the first one. You could end frustrated, not being able to do very basic things, or at the cost of mind bogling tweaks and waste of time.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: Abraxas*] #581804
27/04/16 05:19 AM
27/04/16 05:19 AM
norlin Offline

stranger
norlin  Offline

stranger

@Abraxas thanks a lot!

Quote:
EE forces you to wait for the animations being completely executed

BTW, this thing is annoying even in main game - for example, when I want to heal all party after a battle, I'm expecting to execute healing from the first person, quickly switch to second mage – cast second heal and so on. But the game blocks EVERYTHING while skill animation working...

Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #581805
27/04/16 05:28 AM
27/04/16 05:28 AM
SniperHF Offline

old hand
SniperHF  Offline

old hand

Agreed, very annoying. There are a lot of little things like that for me that make me still prefer classic.

Re: How powerful is the editor? [Re: redtuesday] #581810
27/04/16 08:41 AM
27/04/16 08:41 AM
A
Abraxas* Offline
addict
Abraxas*  Offline
addict
A

Quote:
Agreed, very annoying. There are a lot of little things like that for me that make me still prefer classic.

Agree. I'm even thinking about modding Classic Version after most things for EE are done.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan