Hello everyone who reads this! I hope this tutorial is as helpful to you as I plan for it to be!

First off, this thread is long, but only a small part is the actual tutorial. If you want to come out knowing how to do some pretty neat stuff super easily, then just read it.

So one of the things that bothered me was how many novice skills there were total for each school, but not all were listed in character creation...except for Man at Arms. Why the favoritism? After many hours of trial and error, blood, sweat, tears, and frustration (due to being new to this and also hardly any help because it doesn't exist) I've figured out how to add and remove the skills/spells that you can choose from during CC.

Also, just a side note: after how much time I put in to this, I realize the reason not all of the spells from each school is listed because even though there are more Novice spells out there, not all novice spells are usuable by level 1 characters. All of the ones that exist but are not listed at start are either level 2 or level 3 spells, even though they're still novice class. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE LEVEL REQUIREMENT TO MAKE IT SELECTABLE IN CC.

Note 2: This helps a lot! When you open the files with NotePad, it will probably be a hideous jumbled mess. I don't know the formatting is so terrible, but if you select all, and copy/paste into this (or any other) online notepad, the formatting fixes itself and it completely readable! You can then copy and paste the new formatting from online back into the game file so that it will stay readable. This will NOT mess up the game. I tested it.

Link to online notepad: https://anotepad.com/

And now I present to you the currently best tutorial on the webz for editing initial spells:

In order to edit selectable spells in character creation, there are 2 files you need to change.

One in gamedirectory/data/public/shared/stats/generated/skillset.txt
and the other in gamedirectory/data/public/shared/stats/generated/data/skilldata.txt

You should probably skip down and do the second file first though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skillset.txt determines what skills/spell are available in character creation. When you open it, you will notice "New entry (character creation)" followed by some text that mainly lists the skills you can choose from.

The text when displayed in Notepad is messy, but following the "character creation" section, you should be able to add in whatever skill you want using the following format without quotes: "add skill "Skill_NameHere"

If the game does not register the new skill it could be due to the messy formatting of the text in Notepad. To fix this, you can just give the skill it's own seperate line in all the mess.

Be careful you don't have duplicates or this will cause one skill to use 2 points, and the icon of said skill may disappear.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second file is in gamedirectory/data/public/shared/stats/generated/data/skilldata.txt

Skilldata.txt has a bunch of crap that honestly I don't know what it is, but I do know you need it.

In this file, you'll need to use the find function (control+f) and search for the spell you want to add.

The name will usually start with the type of cast the spell is, followed by what the name is the game sees it as. An example is "Summon_Wolf" or "Target_Fortify". This is the name that you want to use for the other file.

The final thing you need to do, is look for the required skill level of the spell, as in character creation you can only use novice spells. So if the skill you want to add is either Adept, or Master, you need to change it to Novice. If you don't change it, it will not show up in the character creation menu, even if you add the name to the other file.

YOU CAN USE RESTRICTED SPELLS!
I just added this in an edit because I didn't think to use it before, but you can set spells only enemies use to be selectable in character creation. I just successfully added a skill to summon shadow creatures to the witchcraft school by adding it's name to the list and changing the element to Source :D

You can change the school of a spell by changing the "element" traits.
The options are: Air, Fire, Water, Earth, and Source (Witchcraft).

In order to change Man at Arms skills, Scoundrel skills, or Expert Marksman skills, you must change the element to "None", and then change the "Ability" type to either Warrior, Rogue, or Ranger.

You can change the ratio of health that healing spells do by changing the "Healing Multiplier", NOT "Heal Amount".

Here is a list of a few of the spells. The ones listed are the ones that I changed in my own game. You'll have to find the others:

check levels too
A * symbol means the spell is higher than novice.

melee defensive stance "Shout_MeleePrecisionStance"

doctor "Target_Doctor"
ranged precision stance "Shout_RangedPrecisionStance"
splintered arrow "Projectile_SplinterArrow"
absorb the elements* "Target_EndureElements"

adrenaline "Shout_Adrenaline"
trip "Target_Trip"
venomous strike "Target_Poison"
winged feet* "Shout_EtherealSoles"
fast track "Shout_FastTrack"
precise incision* "Target_PreciseIncision"

avatar of fire "Target_ImmuneToBurning"
firefly "Path_FireFly"
self immolation "Shout_FireSurfaceSelf"
wildfire "Target_Haste"
smokescreen* "Path_CreateSmokescreen"

slow current "Target_Slow"
cleansing water* "Target_CleansingWater"
ice wall* "Wall_Ice"
water of life* "Shout_WaterOfLife"
ice shard "Projectile_IceShardStart"

avatar of storms "Target_ImmuneToElectrifying"
blitz bolt "Projectile_BlitzBoltStart"
wind of change "Target_RemovePetrification"
headvice* "Target_InstantPressure"

avatar of poison "Target_ImmuneToPoisoning"
fortify "Target_Fortify"
summon wolf* "Summon_Wolf"
petrifying touch* "Target_PetrifyingTouch"

decaying touch "Target_DecayingTouch"
lower resistances "Shout_NullResistanceStart"
summon undead warrior "Summon_Undead"
mute* "Projectile_Silence"
destroy summon* "Target_BanishSummon"

Divinity Original Sin How to change spells
How to change start spells
How to change skills
How to change start skills
Initial skills
Initial spells

Last edited by shaggy08251993; 06/03/16 09:26 PM.