Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Testad Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Can we please have core threads to each aspect of the game.
Lets be helpful to the devs, imagine how hard it is to search thru all those suggestion threads.

Suggestion: Make a classic character portraits

Reason: Someone like me might prefer it more than what we have now. I really liked the portraits on some of the gameplay trailers.

Community please can someone create a few threads like this.
[SUGGESTIONS] Gameplay SP\Co-op
[SUGGESTIONS] Multiplayer Arena
etc...

Last edited by Testad; 19/09/16 07:55 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I prefer the old portraits too, the new ones look weird. I prefer a portrait made with love and delicacy rather than the ones made by the self graphic engine. Please Larian, just make some unique and atractive portraits with the classic style, please :( (Sorry for my bad english, i'm still learning).

W
stranger
stranger
W
I feel this is another one of those things (like the dialogue system rework) that's largely going to come down to opinion. As soon as I booted up character creation and saw that the profile matched the customisation options I'd selected, I was immensely happy. I'm not a huge fan of abstract hand-painted character portraits. As much as I appreciate the time and effort that goes into them, if they don't look like my character, they don't really serve their purpose.

The solution to appease both parties would be have the option to use one of a handful of hand-painted portraits, or to use the existing system (a 3D model that matches your customisation specifications). The issue with this, however, is one of resources, as hand-painting a number of portraits for every race and gender combination, with enough options to reasonably cover the customisation options, would be a reasonably time-consuming task.

Either way, as far as opinion carries, I love the new system.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Yes 2d portraits were awesome. Why did they change it?
At least put them as alternative Larian so people can use however they like

Last edited by redwire; 27/11/16 10:11 PM.
Support
Support

It was changed because there is no practical way to create enough 2D portraits to accurately represent the available combinations with customization of 3D models.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by S. Referencial
I prefer the old portraits too, the new ones look weird. I prefer a portrait made with love and delicacy rather than the ones made by the self graphic engine. Please Larian, just make some unique and atractive portraits with the classic style, please frown (Sorry for my bad english, i'm still learning).

The 2D portraits didn't account for like... 90% of the customization options that were allowed by the game in D:OS. It's not practical and pisses a lot of people off to have portraits that don't accurately reflect their PC.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

It was changed because there is no practical way to create enough 2D portraits to accurately represent the available combinations with customization of 3D models.

This. It's not that difficult to understand. Last game people complained that while you could customize your character's appearance any way you liked, the portrait - the thing which you'll be seeing constantly throughout the entire game - almost NEVER matched the actual appearance you created.

So sorry, but frankly I don't think the new portraits look bad enough to complain about. You are of course free to complain about it, but I just wanted to add a dissenting voice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In the first game, it did always bother me that my character's portraits didn't look quite like my characters.

R
stranger
stranger
R
3d portraits arent bad but having both of them doesnt hurt anyone right?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by redwire
3d portraits arent bad but having both of them doesnt hurt anyone right?

By having "both of them" do you mean "just add in the existing 2D portraits for humans from D:OS 1", or "add in the D:OS 1 portraits and also add in a bunch more"?

R
stranger
stranger
R
I mean 2d portraits from D:OS 2's previous gameplay footages. They must be somewhere in database already.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by redwire
I mean 2d portraits from D:OS 2's previous gameplay footages. They must be somewhere in database already.

The 2d portraits were used for origin characters, which, at the time probably weren't able to be customized.

veteran
veteran
It's like Dragon age, which is fine.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I get why people like the hand drawn portraits, but now they are using really detailed character models they are just redundant. You don't need a picture to convey what your character is suppose to look like, you can zoom in and see exactly what they look like!
The use of portraits were already kinda awkward in OS1.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard