Next Thread
Print Thread
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Hi everyone,

Right now, in D:OS2, we have 8 skill trees (Necromancer, Warfare, etc...). It's the exact same number than in D:OS1 with only one changing : Sorcery became Necromancer (not really the same type, Sorcery being most debuff/buff while Necromancer is damages and healing based on damage).

I read forum a lot and saw a few times people saying "I miss sorcery, hope it'll be in next skill trees" or "we'll see what are the others skill trees".
Question : Is it confirmed there will be some more ?

I know that kickstarter went to 2 millions and unlocked what was called Skill Tree 1 & Skill Tree 2, saying something like "Did you think we would limit you ?" but what about it really ? I've never found an official source saying there would be more skill trees or the meaning of "limitless" for them smirk

Thanks for answer

veteran
veteran
Polymorpher and Summoning Master won the votes. In theory, that should mean that Polymorpher and Summoner abilities should appear along side the others, along with a set of 16 skills, but we've heard nothing about them yet.

There is so much potential for polymorph. Really looking forward to the non-combat applications the most.

A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Thank you for the informations =)

journeyman
journeyman
If I am not mistaken the skills window also shows 2 more skill trees that you can't access yet. (Don't have the game open to verify)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hopefully, once those are done we'll also get the runner-ups.

Summoner and Polymorph are mechanically going to be pretty damn borring, considering one is just the summons from the original gutted from their respective trees and put into a new one, and the other will end up as a visually intensive collection of stat buffs.

Things like Alchemist or Bard sound far more interesting in terms of actual gameplay.

A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Hum do you remember all the possibilities you could have vote for ?

I agree with you, Summoning is explicit and even if could be nice in combat (was good in the first one), won't bring anything outside them. Polymorph sounds a little more interesting, maybe ways to change someone in sheep and steal all things in his house ?

journeyman
journeyman
Trap Master
Bard
Unarmed Combatant
Summoning Master *
Juggernaut
Guardian
Alchemist
Polymorph *

But it was said that there are no plans to add the runners up.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Ugh those other ones sound so good. I hope skills with those flavours show up.

A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Yeah, unarmed would have been nice, was something too try !

S
S
Ugh- summoning master sounded too cool for adding little.

I disagree with polymorph. NWN shifter.. NWN2 druid.. D&D alter self. So many cools things that COULD be done. But yeah, a few of those sounded pretty cool too

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by Naqel
...just the summons from the original gutted from their respective trees and put into a new one...

Not true:
Summoning Master - To be able to summon allies is a very powerful skill, but as a master you'll be able to summon more than one extra ally. Other skills will include redirecting incoming damage to your summons; sacrificing them to heal you, or blowing them up to wreak havoc among massed enemies.

I voted Bard, but am still happy.

As for Polymorpher - As a polymorpher, your body is your oyster. Grow sharp-as-swords horns, poisonous tentacles (with the bonus of further reach) or even wings that allow you to dash and dive across the battlefield. You can even change completely into - what? Something monstrous, that's for sure...

That "dash and dive" indicates they'll have abilities tied to the form, not just buffs.
Perhaps allowing forms so small that they don't usually trigger combat?

Last edited by hairyscotsman; 12/10/16 11:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
It would be great to get some kind of confirmation from Larian that Polymorph and Summoning Master are still happening.....but the silence is a bit deafening at the moment and most of the stretch goals for DOS didn't end up happening at all so that's not a very reassuring precedent....I hope everything goes well but they should say something about this.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Honestly i have no doubt that Polymorph and Summoning Master gonna be in. I mean its much easier to implement new skill trees than to create a solid DM mode. DM mode is not gonna be an easy feat. I dare say this feature will make or break D:OS2, just like it did with Sword Coast Legends. Larian were pretty bold to declare a DM mode. I'm excited for the DM mode but worried at the same time.

Anyway i digress, back to skill trees. I hope Larian will surprise us and add in at least 2 or 3 of the unselected skill trees mentioned in the poll. For the simple fact that we have an over abundance of INT based, Mage-centric skill trees, a whopping 7 magic skill trees compared to the measly 3 we have for Might/Rogue/Support. Skill trees like bard, alchemist and unarmed combatant have potential to introduce fresh new gameplay concepts and mechanics to the game. On the other hand, Polymorph and Summoning Master are literally just another subset of the current circle of magic we already have, specialization if you will.

Last edited by ImariKurumi; 12/10/16 03:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ImariKurumi
I hope Larian will surprise us and add in at least 2 or 3 of the unselected skill trees mentioned in the poll. For the simple fact that we have an over abundance of INT based, Mage-centric skill trees, a whopping 7 magic skill trees compared to the measly 3 we have for Might/Rogue/Support. Skill trees like bard, alchemist and unarmed combatant have potential to introduce fresh new gameplay concepts and mechanics to the game. On the other hand, Polymorph and Summoning Master are literally just another subset of the current circle of magic we already have, specialization if you will.

I really, really doubt that will happen. As in under a 3% chance.

Adding additional skill sets is a lot of work: animations, artwork, design, balancing... During the early Kickstarter days I suggested adding a 3rd vote for more skill trees as a stretch goal, but they were more interested in... other things.

If they were going to add in more skill sets, they would just have said "Polymorpher is going to be in no matter what, so pick two more."

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I really, really doubt that will happen. As in under a 3% chance.

Adding additional skill sets is a lot of work: animations, artwork, design, balancing... During the early Kickstarter days I suggested adding a 3rd vote for more skill trees as a stretch goal, but they were more interested in... other things.

If they were going to add in more skill sets, they would just have said "Polymorpher is going to be in no matter what, so pick two more."

I agree....especially since Polymorph, Summoning Master, and the Shapeshifting Mask aren't even in the game yet....I honestly am worried that even these three things may be in trouble, forget extra skill trees.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally, it'd be best if for the sake of a more interesting leveling system the skill categories were completely abandoned, or at least much less strict.

It'd be much more fun to mix and match skills freely, and enhance them by choosing universal bonuses, than it is to lock the player into a school of skills.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Well, personally I've found plenty of very fun combinations cross trees, shapeshifting does sound to me like a tree of the body rather than mind, depending on the transformations available I would bet it would include some very good options for cross class warrior,rogue,support,ranger.

phoenix diving spellcaster is really fun, netherswapping warrior is as well.

Without the individual skill tress there is no consequence to your choice regarding what you pick.

I am tired of games allowing you to become with a single character the end all grandmaster of every skill/spell tbh.

Last edited by Zervox; 13/10/16 12:18 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard