Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Even if our reality is grim, and the seed of distrust sprouts time and again to separate the species of Rivellon, let us stand together in the face of this adversity, and sow the seeds of a free and peaceful future for us all.

I propose that we, united under a single cause, put our best efforts into devising a spell that can calm even the most aggressive of animals, so that those who share a connection with them might converse for all of our benefits. No longer will we have to mistrust those who are different, because we chose to solve this concern.

If our combined ingenuity and knowledge are employed in the pursuit of a solution to this issue, I promise you that we will find a way to a serene future not only for ourselves, but for our children and their children's children. They shall know no violence or hostility if they choose to avoid it.

Never before did we have such an opportunity to propose ideas such as this with hope in our hearts. To mark these joyful times, allow me to express my thanks to those who made this possible, to the forum users for their enduring passion and dedication, and to Larian for their boldness and inventiveness. Best wishes to all of you.

apprentice
apprentice
I will mercilessly slaughter every cute animal I come across just because of this thread. Especially dogs and cats.
And then drain them of their source.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I propose the spell to permanently calm animals be called 'Foot Dive' or 'Psycho Crusher'.

Please, Larian, give us (me) foot dive loops.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Klavi
I will mercilessly slaughter every cute animal I come across just because of this thread. Especially dogs and cats.
And then drain them of their source.

I am not sure how your reply is relevant to the topic, but I wish you a great time. smile

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Limz
I propose the spell to permanently calm animals be called 'Foot Dive' or 'Psycho Crusher'.

Please, Larian, give us (me) foot dive loops.

I would like to point out that Pet Pal is part of the game, and Swen Vincke also brought attention to it several times. While I am not too invested in this idea, I feel that my proposed spell is in line with the vision of the game.

I certainly think that the addition of this spell could lead not only to interesting interactions, but more choices for the players.

addict
addict
So far, aside from those that are inherently hostile (like the source hounds once triggered), we can talk to any animal, because they are almost all passive.

Presumably any animal goes hostile for a reason, reason being that you attacked them or caused their assigned faction to hunt you. Only part that would make sense to give a chance to remove hostility is the part where they did not decide for themselves to hate the player(s).

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I think you are right, EinTroll. My intention with this proposed spell was to remove unprovoked hostility. I've written that it should be permanent only to imply that it has not duration.

It might not have much use in the first act of the game, but it could come in handy more so in the later acts.

Thank you for contributing.

A
addict
addict
A
Well, your idea isn't bad per se it leaves open chance for abuse and could potentially break quests or something. We can't know for sure

But! Id say you wanted I high level source ability to permanently calm/mind rape/charm/etc one creature that could possibly work.

It'd be costly to use and make one way whether or not it's worth it

Also you'd have to tie its requirements to something to learn

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Not exactly what I had in mind, but I think that yours is an interesting idea, aj0413! You are right that this spell needs to be balanced carefully.

When my proposed spell is cast on an animal, there could be two possible outcomes. Either there is a text "bubble" above them, saying that they are too angry with the player to even initiate conversation, or they become passive for the rest of the battle. If they became passive, and the combat ends, they are available for conversation. However, if the conversation goes south, it could lead to another combat. I was thinking that this spell would "nudge" the animals' mood a little, so that Pet Pal could be potentially used.

Maybe, if another version of the spell is used which requires a source point, it would "mind rape" the creature so that they would be always ecstatic to see the player. However, the ability to complete quests should always come first, so I think that these spells should be limited where necessary.

I was thinking that either a spell tome could teach this spell, or a second tier Pet Pal ability.

Thank you for contributing, aj0413! You raised some important concerns.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard