Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#594957 31/10/16 12:42 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Maybe I'm being a tad cynical, but Divinity: Original Sin's opening section of Cyseal was considered highly polished compared to the rest of the game and I'm sure this was in no small part to the Alpha and Beta periods.

I understand the Alpha is only for Act 1, but would extra time be given to the rest of the beta testing to ensure that everything is up to the same standard?

I understand that people are impatient for the game to be released, and that most reviewers rarely venture deep into games, but wouldn't it be better for the game as a whole that all the later content got as much critical balancing and testing as the beginning act of the game... to save us having to leave it whilst the first few patches are made.

Last edited by Wellzy4eva; 31/10/16 12:43 PM.
old hand
old hand
I'm already really impressed with how polished the first act is, and there's only been one patch. So if Larian got the first act so good on the first go, I'm not as afraid the later acts will be weaker without an open alpha all the way through.

I think they're most interested in everyone's impressions on the overall systems and flow of gameplay and tone of the game, most of which we can see in act 1, not as much if such and such quest is good. Specific feedback and bug hunting is good, of course, but that's more in the domain of professional testers, imo. Mass testing of late game balance is probably the biggest loss, but hopefully Larian learned their lesson from D:OS 1.

It's just probably not in their economic interest to release a full alpha. Many people can't resist the temptation to play through the alpha, but then won't want to play again on full release. It's best to get as many players on release as possible, which boosts sales. A full alpha takes some oomph out of the official release.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't think either of you are wrong. It does make a lot of sense to release all of the Acts at the same time, so that the product is very polished at release. The people that are playing Alpha are not your average players, and will likely do several play-throughs, to find every aspect of adventure. At the same time, this isn't Blizzard Entertainment, and they don't have the time and resources to devote to such a prolonged and massive undertaking of feedback without any substantial income to offset it. My hope is that they will do the game justice, and take their early praise as a challenge to do even more, and not a waiver to expedite the release. Gamers like myself who play both Pillars of Eternity, and this game, are looking for a champion. Everything I have seen thus far points to this game, but that remains to be seen... I would rather wait, than be disappointed.

Last edited by Stimwalt; 31/10/16 10:04 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Baardvark

It's just probably not in their economic interest to release a full alpha.

Originally Posted by Stimwalt
At the same time, this isn't Blizzard Entertainment, and they don't have the time and resources to devote to such a prolonged and massive undertaking of feedback without any substantial income to offset it.

I must admit in my naivety that I hadn't really thought about the financial implications of extending an alpha from an employee point of view, I think it's because Larian products do not feel like a budget title, even if Kickstarting should easily point out that mistake.

I was also taken aback by the Kickstarter page that had estimated Delivery for Divinity: Original Sin 2 as December 2016 and we're still Alpha testing the first act in November, but I understand this date has now been changed.

I appreciate both of your feedbacks. hehe

S
stranger
stranger
S
The intro probably needs the most refining. Original Sin I was pretty clear on why you were on the beach and why you were headed towards Cyseal. Original Sin II, I was pretty confused by the lack of background information. Not a real good explanation of what Fort Joy is and why exactly you would walk straight into a prison fortress.

Last edited by SourceHunter; 06/11/16 11:23 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard