Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
As much as I like the Turn-based of DOS2, I believe that more instances like "attack of opportunity" could add a lot of variety and unpredictability to the battlefied.

A couple things that come to mind:

Cover- very obvious, especially considering that Elevation already exists, to a degree

Reactive turns: instead of standard progressions, powerful enemies and/or players with a special trait could opt for this: take an action EVERY time someone finishes a turn. It may sound OP, and in fact it would work mostly for bosses, but I am a fan for rules as symmetrical as possible

Attacks of opportunity: possibility for them to appear with ranged weapons and/or spells too

Triggers (?): the possibility of setting counter-attacks or immediate, automatised reactive actions (like, get injured: drink a potion IF you have it in inventory etc).

I understand that someone will immediately argue it could be a lot of work: this is a pre-alpha, it's supposed to involve potentially very different and brave possibilities.

old hand
old hand
Could be a lot of work :P

But really, combat could still be made more dynamic. A cool reaction could be that you equip a melee weapon for 0 AP when an enemy gets near you if you have a bow equipped, though that'd only be worth it if bows had reduced accuracy or damage up close (which I think they perhaps should).

Cover should hopefully arrive still, though I'm surprised we haven't seen it. Didn't they show it in videos in the past? Seems like something that really needs to be integrated into every combat situation, so I'm a little nervous it might have been ditched since many combat encounters don't seem like they have any possible cover in them, though that obviously could change.

Characters or bosses getting turns every other character sounds really hard to balance. Maybe could work for a couple unique bosses.

Contingency skills would be cool, like if you're damaged by fire this turn, you instantly cast rain or something.

Dynamic reactions could definitely create a lot more room for making unique combats.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Very good impressions for the Scales creator!

Examples of Trigger/reactive Commands, which could be granted by talents and/or specific skill bonuses:

Counterattack: character retaliates physical/magical attacks with a physical attack, no AP cost, returns to original place;

Miss&Hit: character gets chance to evade physical attack and counterattacks with a physical one. No AP cost, counter is done even if evade fails;

Medic: automatically uses weakest available healing potion on self when injured;

Nurse: automatically uses status healing item on self when inflicted with a negative debuff;

Hospitaller: automatically uses resurrection spell (or scroll) when party member is killed. they are resurrected in the place they died, no teleport;

Sentinel: random chance to get damage in place of party member, damage received is cut by 50% but does not trigger counters. only works with direct physical or magic attacks, AoEs do not trigger it.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 18/11/16 11:05 AM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Cover sounds like a nice addition. I don't know the specifics of how it'd be programmed, but perhaps your line of sight could check to see if it travels over a wall or other object and lower the accuracy or damage appropriately.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Editorial
Cover sounds like a nice addition.
No, it is not.

Even elevation is unnecessary complication to the fun battles. Cover in 3D battles sounds like a recipe for frustration. Would I see a pixel of feather on the enemy hat to be able to aim my spell from this position or that position?

No thank you.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by gGeo
Originally Posted by Editorial
Cover sounds like a nice addition.
No, it is not.

Even elevation is unnecessary complication to the fun battles. Cover in 3D battles sounds like a recipe for frustration. Would I see a pixel of feather on the enemy hat to be able to aim my spell from this position or that position?

No thank you.

That's your opinion. Pointless, truly.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard