Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
Can the Steam version of the game be run without Steam? That is, if I were to delete Steam all together, but save the game directory, would I still be able to play D:OS 2?

I went to look for my EA keys in the Vault under D:OS 2, but it said I didn't have any yet. It was my understanding that as a KS backer I would get these.

Also, any word yet on a possible GNU/Linux release?

edit: I figured out the EA key part. I need to choose between GOG and Steam first, then a key shows up.

If the Steam version is free of Steam's DRM than I can add it to Linux Steam as a non-Steam game and still use my Steam Controller. Assuming I can get the game to run.

Last edited by nstgc; 27/02/17 10:46 AM.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Support
Support

Steam needs to be installed to download and update that version of the game, but other than that is not required (if you don't care about the online lobby, friend invites or eventual achievements). You can exit out of Steam and start the game directly from the executable.

The GOG version has the (optional) Galaxy client for automatic updating, in addition to the full installer downloads and separate patches (not all patches are kept online, so if you miss more than a couple you'd need to use the Galaxy client to update or download the latest full installer).

There have not been any announcements about other platforms.

nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. That's what I was hoping for.

Originally Posted by Raze

There have not been any announcements about other platforms.

I know. I backed it with full knowledge that it may never get a port. Still, I can hope and, in the mean time, I can try to get it running via less than ideal means. It was stupid of me, but I did it anyway.

edit: I even acknowledged that I may not get the game to run at all. I can just hope for the best and make better choices next time to avoid getting burned.

Last edited by nstgc; 27/02/17 01:33 PM.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard