Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Today (3/28/2017) introduced patch 3.0.50.423, the Summoning and Polymorph update.

Along with adding two new classes with their own mechanics and skills, a large variety of minor changes have been made to varying mechanics, features, interactions, quest flow, monster abilities and placements and more.

========================================
Putting this in it's own special spot.

The Summoner vendor is Nebora the tinkerer woman near the entrance to Fort Joy's camp. Big tent next to the main gate into the fort itself.

The Polymorph vendor is Doctor Leste found near the Caverns, go straight down to the beach from Nebora's tent and you'll find her.

=======================================

Some things I have noticed personally.

Ifan is now a Wayfarer. I don't really understand that change, doesn't really feel like it fits thematically, but since you can change his class anyways I guess it doesn't matter.

The same for Sebille, she is now a Rogue again doesn't really matter, but just an observation.

Ifan now fights with you and Elodi for The Shakedown quest, this is probably because some players will be drawn to that before they ever find any more companions and helps point out Ifan right away.

The Saltwater Crocodiles aren't as punishing now in my experience, they can also teleport player characters with their Scale-Portation ability.

If you talk to Stingtail for The Imprisoned Elf quest with Sebille or The Red Prince next to you you get into a sort of argument/debate with them about who is going to converse with Stingtail first as Sebille wants to kill him and The Red Prince seems to let him eat the Drudanae. So you really don't want them nearby if you want to convince him to hand over the orange.

Skillbooks got new icons, they look really cool compared to the old ones.

When you get near a mound and have enough Wit to find it they appear and give a little shimmer of gold rays to indicate that you found it. Probably not the best color as it is hard to notice, but I'm sure it'll help some players notice them easier since in dirt patches it can be hard to see that you found one without an indicator.

Last edited by Kokoro-Sensei; 29/03/17 06:59 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Initial impression, cool looking skills! A little puzzled that bullrush scales with dex but tentacle lash scales with strength. If anything, it seems like it should be the other way around.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Pyrofox
Initial impression, cool looking skills! A little puzzled that bullrush scales with dex but tentacle lash scales with strength. If anything, it seems like it should be the other way around.

Didn't realize different polymorph skills scaled with different attributes. That's cool and I guess that makes the attribute bonus for the skill make a little more sense. I agree that those attribute scaling for skills seems reversed of what it should be. What do the other abilities scale off of?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Baardvark

Didn't realize different polymorph skills scaled with different attributes. That's cool and I guess that makes the attribute bonus for the skill make a little more sense. I agree that those attribute scaling for skills seems reversed of what it should be. What do the other abilities scale off of?

They're the only starting skills that scale. I should note that as well as the attributes, tentacle lash also scales off level and bull rush also scales off your weapon.

veteran
veteran
Turning an enemie into a chicken regardless of their armor state and for only one AP seems to be quite broken.

I wonder, will this work with bosses or is there some kind of polymorph immunity now?

Purely polymorph skillset seems to be pretty pointless, because you can't create a surface for your Incarnate.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Looking at the skills more it seems less like they're badly balanced and more like they're just totally not done. I'd imagine the totems and chicken are gonna be actually balanced for reals eventually, cause now they are silly.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right topic for this but I was wondering about the item drop/pickup when an NPC is killed - why does the NPC (like Stingtail's pyro skillbooks) not drop everything he has - especially after doing a trade and seeing the skillbooks, then killing said NPC and only receiving either what you traded previously or one or two skillbooks?

Just curious on the mechanics of that, and whether it should change or not?

Personally I would say for "realism" sake drop what you saw them selling (whether or not you have a bad rep with them or not) - but I also see the downfall to it being that why even have an NPC when you could just kill him for the skillbooks and not even worry about caring about the NPC's story...

veteran
veteran
Regarding the fact how many traders there are in this game and how there is no kind of 'risk' in killing of some traders. Dropping everything they sell, would make to easy to get gold, so its a game mechanic to prevent it, even tough it defies logic. But having so many merchants and having them getting new stuff all the time defies logic pretty well too.

Ifan's backstory (in character creation) has changed a bit. Given the theme, I think that Wayfarer fits as well as any other.

As per the other thread about it, the Bull Horns/Rush attack isn't fixed but based on the weapon type you're using and will scale with Str/Dex/Int accordingly.

Conjuring/Polymorph - I don't think they're meant to be an automatic pair on one character, but even so the Incarnate and Totem powers appear to count 'empty' ground as an element too. The totem, at least, spawns as a wood-element totem and deals physical damage.

apprentice
apprentice
The above poster is correct about how bullrush scales, that's interesting.

Random feedback on Conjuring, I think it would be fun if your Incarnate grew in size when you infused it

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
I didn't see any changes to crafting, is there any change to this yet? Im curious on the differences will be between the two games...?

OP Offline
Nothing listed in patch notes, so I'd assume no, but there could be some changes.

I'm not going through all the combinations to find out though. :p

A
stranger
stranger
A
Really enjoying the summoner, especially blood totems/minions. Blood is everywhere.

They do physical damage and I typically go with a team heavily focused on that type of damage (nothing is immune). The minions are great, especially with the melee infusion (bullrush/whirlwind) and eventually enough totems on the ground that all phys shields are gone asap for my physical bros to mop up. The minions can scamper after any archers or magic users that are being annoying to get hold of and the totems blow down the opposing tank shields.

The blood minion gets its own 'heal' even without infusion, so it has some good survivability while hunting down the stragglers.

The minion infusions are based on the 'class' stats, so the range infusion gets boosted by dex, melee infusion boosted by str, so could see where you might have your tank/archers also spend a point to get access to those minions.

Have not gotten a great handle on the polymorph best usage however. Currently have my ranger using it on the side mostly just for mobility (bull horns and flight), but typically not as much a difference maker in fights like summoner. Still on my first playthrough after patch though, so later skills may make a difference.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Aelender

The minion infusions are based on the 'class' stats, so the range infusion gets boosted by dex, melee infusion boosted by str, so could see where you might have your tank/archers also spend a point to get access to those minions.

The Incarnate stats don't scale off of the Summoner's stats. Only the Summoning Skill and the level of the caster matter. The caster's Intellect, Finesse, and Strength are not used at all. You can right-click an incarnate to inspect its stats to confirm this.
That being said, tanks and archers make just as good of summoners as anyone else. Exactly the same even.

A little puzzled that bullrush scales with dex but tentacle lash scales with strength. If anything, it seems like it should be the other way around.

I thought the same thing. It turns out, Bullrush is a weapon-based skill. It scales off of Finesse for most people because the template starts using a Spear, and they are Finesse based. Use a 2H Sword or Mace instead and then all (both) of their damaging abilities will scale off of Strength.
Tentacle Lash is not a weapon-based ability, and therefore doesn't take the character's weapon into account.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Ah, you are correct, I was mis-reading the tool tip on the minion skill after range infusion and it mentioned increase in damage bonus based on finesse. I thought it meant finesse for range and str for melee, but its finesse for both, and apparently the minion's finesse, not the casters (tried upping caster finesse but did not change damage numbers)

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard