Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Chumble Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
As practice for level design, I'm making a level that consists of a series of rooms. These rooms will either contain puzzle elements, enemies to fight or both. The rooms are fairly small and set next to each other. The room is constructed from a single wall in a square. There are no doors.

The first problem is that players can use their cameras to look into other rooms. Part of the fun is not knowing what's coming up next. I tried several different methods of creating something to block the player's vision while the character was outside the room. The most effective method was to duplicate the wall object used for a room, drag it up to rest on top of the walls and modify the properties so it would automatically generate a roof. Then I enabled fading and set fade opacity to 0 so when the player is under the roof, the roof disappears completely. I thought I was golden until I realized I could still maneuver my camera just right and see through the roof while not in the room, making the whole thing pointless.

This may also be due to some difficulties I had in that process. For some reason, my walls refused to generate a "roof". Instead, I had it generate a floor and I offset the height so that it was placed at roof level. I'm not sure if this made a difference or not.

The second problem is that AI pathing is too smart. I have a button in Room 1 that, when used, will teleport the player to a location in Room 2. But if I simply right click into Room 2 while in Room 1, the AI pathing has the player move to the button, press it to teleport then walk to where I clicked in Room 2. I want the players to need to find the button. This is all negated if the characters can simply locate the teleporting object like this. Is there any way to prevent the AI from figuring this out?

Thanks,
Chumble

enthusiast
enthusiast
you already messed around with RegionTriggers?

C
Chumble Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Wow, a region trigger seems to be just what I need for the first issue. Thanks!

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
can you share how you did this? I need to know as well and haven't messed with triggers yet.

old hand
old hand
https://docs.larian.game/Triggers#Region_Trigger

But it's pretty straight forward, find the region trigger root template.

Place one.

I usually change the physics on the sidebar to a box unless I need a special shape.

Set the size.

Now you can't see past the trigger's bounds while you are inside it. You also cannot see inside it while on the outside.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
hmm those work but i guess what im looking for is more of a fog of war, or something not so limited to a single room at a time. maybe more character vision based.

old hand
old hand
I'm not sure if there's a way to "re fog" unfogged areas. I suspect not though.

There is in the atmosphere settings a thing called distance fog. You could make it extremely thick and dark and make the near distance really close to the player, meaning you can't see far.

One of the built in atmospheres has this by default:
ARX_HorrorSleep_Cave_PitchBlack

But it's REALLY dark. It should be possible to do it in the light but you might still be able to see too well for your purposes. Also if someone enables character outlines that probably defeats the purpose as well.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by SniperHF
But it's pretty straight forward, find the region trigger root template. Place one. I usually change the physics on the sidebar to a box unless I need a special shape. Set the size.

Now you can't see past the trigger's bounds while you are inside it. You also cannot see inside it while on the outside.

I'm not seeing this work. Does it not apply to preview mode in the editor? Or can you not have one region trigger inside another?

old hand
old hand
Make sure you have the shroud enabled, I believe that setting is in Edit > Level Data.

EDIT: Oh and there are some problems with the shroud/regions in GM mode. I think they are disabled by Larian. You can search the forum for Shroud and probably find answers on that. I don't use GM mode.

Last edited by SniperHF; 02/10/17 06:00 AM.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard