Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The Chronicles of Divinity is an expansion to the main campaign spanning from start to finish (and beyond) and will be released in episodes.

Many of the new zones and smaller levels will also be available in GM mode.

Basic features (Finished or In Progress):

• â—½ New main quests spanning over multiple acts.
    â—½ Dozens of new side-quests.
    â—½ Sail the High Seas with your own ship.
    â—½ One new Origin character with her own quests.
    â—½ Interactive "World Companions" and "World Events".
    â—½ Two new classes (so far), Shapeshifter and Prowler.
    â—½ New Source Masters, max cap of Source Points increased to 5.
    â—½ Minor visual tweaks and overhauls to the main campaign.
    â—½ Dynamic power scaling - Event and story based, following the player's level unless influenced by unique events.
    â—½ The Source Forge - One of Braccus Rex's many lost relics. Discover it and learn how to enhance your gear - Level it up to your level! Open up a whole new world of build opportunities. Or be lazy and find the master craftsman, if you happen to have a hefty wallet.
    â—½ New unique gear: Head/Neck/Ring slots sometimes offer new skills.
    â—½ Random world loot & enhanced loot tables.
    â—½ Entirely new spells, and re-balancing of existing spells.
    â—½ Custom atmospheres designed specifically for each zone.

Immediate future plans:

• -- Start playtesting and squish bugs before launching Episode 1.
  • -- New Origin/Custom-specific special abilities unlocked at level 15.

As this has sort of become a hobby of mine, filling 2000 hours so far and going strong, I have a vague impression on how long it'll take me to finish the project. So the idea thus far is to finish up Fort Joy and then the zones for Driftwood and quests surrounding that, including some to help clarify some of the main story, then I can release the first episode while working on finishing up Driftwood and Nameless Isle, then release episode 2 while I work on Arx.

And keep going like that until I feel I've finished telling the story I want to tell smile

Development Team:
The Composer - Director | Story Writer | Scripter | Swiss Army-Knife
Skumleren - Mapper | Combat Encounter Designer
Milena - Asset producer | Mapper
Kalavinka - Dialogue writer
Baardvark - Item designer | Combat Encounter Designer
LadyCassandra - Quest Writer | Voice Talent

FAQ

• What if I don't like level scaling?

Hence the dynamic part. It's both out of necessity, it's literally only just me scripting at the moment and the rebalancing task for the whole campaign would be huge (!), but the way it currently works adds a whole new layer of possibilities.

Basically what this means is, enemies won't necessarily be exactly your level. I can fluidly change the level ranges of larger zones, type of monsters, or even have it change depending on in-world actions by the player. Say at some point you encounter a violent dragon. He's a world boss four levels above you. Tough! But earlier on you learned about dragons from a scholar in Driftwood, I could have that reduce the level gap between you and the dragon. This isn't actually a scenario, but a demonstration how it could be.

• When will you be done?
    Playtesting for the first episode will start very soon. A couple of weeks after is when I hope to publish it for everyone.

Episode 1 has taken a month longer than I had expected at the very start, but natural in retrospect as there has both been tons of childhood technical issues with the engine, as well as the learning curve. Having passed that and worked through good / less good workflows of going about with things should hopefully speed things up for the rest of the story :]

Last edited by The Composer; 23/06/18 01:45 PM.
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Sign me up, that sounds great!

old hand
old hand
WOW! Usually it takes months to see a mod with this kind of quality. Great intro video. Very excited.

addict
addict
Sounds and look great already, good job hehe

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
apprentice
apprentice
Woah! I have no words to describe this, amazing job dude, keep going!

Ummm... Hi?
old hand
old hand
Very impressive, Composer! This looks like it will be a real hit, good luck.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks guys! That's very encouraging to hear :]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wooohoo! Really impressive!

The camera movement / panning in your video you did by ingame camera splines / movement or manually?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Manually. I'd do splines in the future but now I just wanted to make a relatively quick video to get a post going, and save that "Woah" impact for when I am ready to show some actual gameplay and story moments. Did the preview window in the editor in a separate window, resized it to fit my screen and did Control+Shift+F11 then "DirectorMode On" along with some FoV settings to hide cursor and such, move around while recording and just scale up the window ever so slightly in Adobe Premiere to hide the editor border hehe

apprentice
apprentice
Looking really nice and detailed, good luck.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Meanwhile if you need some help on new scripting/skill actions I can give you a hand.
I like expanding the main campaign idea lol. Nice work smile

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
Also an idea for you if you can make it will be an immense work for campaign;

Make an island that have a castle which can be accesible via boat or a ship. Like Baldur's Gate or Pillars of eternity or other this kind of game types in rpg.

You can save the castle and own it. (Maybe a story based saving ? )

You can upgrade your castle building, hire mercenaries to defend its grounds, Can collect taxes, and while you are away there can be a script counter for attack on your castle can be invoked while you can defend it by your hireable mercs & more stuff like that ?... Can be fantastic smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Yuhnis
Also an idea for you if you can make it will be an immense work for campaign;

Make an island that have a castle which can be accesible via boat or a ship. Like Baldur's Gate or Pillars of eternity or other this kind of game types in rpg.

You can save the castle and own it. (Maybe a story based saving ? )

You can upgrade your castle building, hire mercenaries to defend its grounds, Can collect taxes, and while you are away there can be a script counter for attack on your castle can be invoked while you can defend it by your hireable mercs & more stuff like that ?... Can be fantastic smile

Hehe, cool idea! Though not something I'd divert my time to at this time, perhaps as an addition after the main story (after you've completed the game). In fact there is an island already, for similar but not similar at all purposes. That quest line begins in Fort Joy and develops in Reaper's Coast smile

As for helping hands, I'd welcome it! Anything to chip down labor to increase development speed. I'll throw you a discord link when that becomes relevant smile

Last edited by The Composer; 11/10/17 02:06 PM. Reason: Typos & Extra text
addict
addict
BY LUCIAN'S BEARD...

I mean ... where to start... genuinely blown away by that trailer ... jeez man, you have a trailer and everything,...

... just keep going I guess, because I NEED to see more (X_X)

Good luck from everyone here at Larian that's currently falling off his/her chair by that trailer and keep us posted on the forums as always so we can assist smile This is just amazing.

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 11/10/17 02:24 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Damn, Kevin! That's cool to hear laugh As far as hype to continue working goes, that goes a long way! Which leads me to an important question... When will we see the ability to add new sounds / voice / music to the editor?

I spent an hour or two quickly setting up a soundbank in Wwise with some .wem files with music of my own, added them to the soundbank and tried importing that .bnk to the editor (from inspecting the game files, that's the impression I got you're using) but it didn't see any files in my soundbank so clearly something is missing. I just couldn't figure what, if it's the file formats, encoding, something else... So I decided not to spend hours upon hours hitting my head at a wall!

... Probably still gonna try to find a loophole when I don't feel like scripting/mapping either way haha!

old hand
old hand
The pressure is on!

Larian tweet

horsey

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Haha sure is! Appreciate it a lot!

S
stranger
stranger
S
You made my day man. im so glad to read this post. keep the good work

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for all the love and encouraging words everyone, progress keeps its pace! Some of today's endeavors:

Can't really say much here without spoiling story.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beginning of a semi-frozen running lake with waterfalls:
[Linked Image]

Fine-tuning some aspects of a quest-line starting at the initial tutorial boat (Or, can start. Otherwise it can start at a later time if people somehow miss it.)

[Linked Image]

M
M
really nice mate! This can be a great addition to the game and hopefully will give alot of people another reason to play divinity a 2nd or 3rd time smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard