Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
i notice a lot of people don't like the red prince (especially since his romance ending sucks) but am i the only one who actually likes his character, i mean he plays the arrogant lizard pretty well, and i enjoyed his romance up until that god awful ending, am i alone in this?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
not at all. my interpretation of his character is that he mostly postures as a haughty, pretentious royal, but has a depth of character beneath it if you take the time to become his friend

strictly speaking every character in this game is grossly underwritten (except maybe for ifan and lohse), but there are enough hints in his dialogue that suggest a deeper personality than he lets on

journeyman
journeyman
I agree. I thought I was going to dislike him and was considering dumping him from my party early on. But I decided to keep him around and ended up liking him quite a bit. He's still kind of an elitist jerk, but he's also intelligent, insightful, and very pragmatic. He's a well written and voiced character, maybe a lot of people just didn't give him enough time to grow on them.

I contrast, while I also like Lohse I feel like she doesn't have enough character development or dialogue. Her situation, at least up until Arx, seems a little one dimensional. Seems like some wasted potential. Still probably my second favorite, but more could have been done with her.

With Beast, I like his personality, disposition, and story. He feels more fleshed out than Lohse, but less than Red Prince.

Haven't played with the others yet, although from what I've observed as playing Fane I think I would like him a lot as well.

veteran
veteran
I like the Red Prince as a character, I just strongly dislike pretty much all aspects of his origin story.

Lhose doesn't seem to have a great deal to do in terms of origin story, but Beast has even less.

I really like his character. I don't like him as a PERSON, because he is a big jerkwad, but seeing his arc with his red princess waifu and going from "jerk who wants to be emperor of all" to "jerk who wants to be a benevolent emperor" is neat. He has an arc, not a significantly moral arc, or one where he has a radically motivation shift; but he ends up having a greater perspective on things and finding satisfaction with what he has.

He's cool, really liked him. My only real issue with him is that he has the same tropes as Fane which makes them feel redundant when standing together.

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
W
OP Offline
W
to be fair, he is a lizard, so being a elitist jerkwad is kinda expected

J
JLC Offline
stranger
stranger
J
He's actually my favorite character. The adventure just doesn't seem right without his smug arrogant presence. So far my least favorite characters are beast and ifan. No problem with them as people, both are cool dudes, I just don't find their story arcs all that interesting.

Last edited by JLC; 02/11/17 01:24 PM.
Y
Y
The Red Prince is a very well developed character that has got progression and(when comparing to other things in the game) well crafted and varied quest. All character should be like him in this regard. I think Larian have done a good job with him and should have done the same good job with a lot of other writing/story related...well, issues in the game. Conceptually the ending of his quest is brilliant, but is presented abysmally, which is a rather embarrassing let-down, to be frank.

Personally, I am also fond of him for his roleplaying part, and enjoy his company. I really started liking him after his private confession at Amadia's shrine in act 1. Wish that the origin characters in the game had more to say about what is going on around.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Red Prince is actually probably my favorite character. I feel his dialogue is super well written and he makes a lot of sense. His ending did feel a little forced but honestly he was never about his main quest but the steps along the way.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
I've played as the Red Prince longer than any other avatar, so that's something.

LSLib Contributor | My Mods: DOS2, DOS2DE | 560K Steam Workshop Subscribers
W
OP Offline
W
i agree, the journey was awesome, but the ending is still disappointing, especially if you romance him

T
stranger
stranger
T
He probably makes me laugh the most.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I loved the Red Prince. I Lone Wolfed with him on my first playthrough as a Summoner with him tanking. I love how deep he became. I laughed hysterically when he and my human undead decided to be lovers out of nowhere.

J
stranger
stranger
J
I love the Red Prince...yes even the romance (until the end then i just don't like Sadah but still love Red Prince). I even accept his jerk nature on the fact that i feel its more of him trying to mask his fears and insecurities. Its just an added layer of depth to his character that i feel most others don't have.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Everything he does is an intended pretense to disguise his actual intentions. He is a master tactician and you are just his pawn. Get on his level.

He is my favourite character by the way...

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard