Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Is there any update Larian can provide about the ability to add new sounds or music to a game? I still find this to be a major hole in functionality and it would be nice to get an idea whether we're likely or unlikely to ever see it. Even if we can't have full blown assets that can be associated with sound triggers or events, a simple API in the story and/or behavioral scripts to play an MP3/FLAC/OGG file packed in the mod folder somewhere would be really useful.

Thank you.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
I second this question. It's something that's deeply wanted \o/

apprentice
apprentice
+1 to topic

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Bumping since no word either way from Larian, in case it was missed.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Not much word on anything lol. They won't talk about what is in the works even though yhe players were the investors.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I would also like a response to this. The level of depth that can be added to a package, even a simple skill mod or scripted story interaction, can be greatly improved by quality **custom** sound design that we don't have access to.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree, custom sounds are rather essential. Any update on the topic would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Nimue_de; 22/01/18 03:20 PM.
addict
addict
Hey everyone,
apologies for the late response.

The main initial hurdle is our dependency on the external code that handles the sound (WWise). To be able to even consider the feature, we have to communicate with the external company to find what the best possible way is to provide you guys access to (parts of) this proprietary solution. This communication step is where we are currently at. Hence, I currently have no concrete information to give in terms of development. Once I have a more concrete answer, I can come back to you on this smile

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the update Kevin, it's appreciated!

What about the other brute force option of a story script interface to play sounds similar to what exists for playing movies? Is that not feasible?

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
addict
addict
The idea is the same, but the availability of the tools is the problem.

Videos can be created publicly (For Bink specifically, bink 1 at least is public) and our video manager simply requires the appropriate video file as input.

The sound system behaves similar, but the sound files are not in a publicly available format. The sounds are imported into the external tool and specialized banks are created from that data. The solution concerns finding a way to make editing those banks available. Either through access to the proprietary bank creation tools, by creating and giving a sort of sound template file that wraps the minimal amount of proprietary files/encoding/.. or providing a custom solution for importing public file formats (which internally in code would again mean releasing some part of the code that interfaces with the proprietary system).

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 26/01/18 03:23 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I see. I was hoping there was pipeline or library interface at your disposal outside of WWise altogether for generating sound in the game but it sounds like you're wedded to a WWise solution or bust. Good luck, please keep us updated when more information comes in, whether good or bad.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
stranger
stranger
Hi! Any updates on this matter? Even if a workaround - if possible? Or results of discussions had with WWise?

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by 1stM8
Hi! Any updates on this matter? Even if a workaround - if possible? Or results of discussions had with WWise?

Yes, support for adding sounds was added in the Definitive Edition: https://docs.larian.game/Definitive_Edition#Sound_Modding

stranger
stranger
Thank you Tinkerer for the quick reply and link!

stranger
stranger
Awwwesome!! A custom campaign really doesn't get it's own personal vibe without being able to use custom music. Thanks a ton for including that Larian Studios!

apprentice
apprentice
Where do I place the .Wav files? (which file folder)

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I just place mine under "../Mods/<mod name>/Localization" and that seems to work. Haven't packed it for external use though so I still need to test that.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
apprentice
apprentice
I assume this is dead in the water now?

I wonder why there is no simple support for .mp3 file formats? I don't even care that I can't set music through soundbanks or music triggers. I personally use the point sound triggers to play my music (and HUD music scripting in some events) but the size of the .wav files are super inflating the mod size. I'm down to 800megs (from 1.4gigs) and I know it could be even smaller if I can compress the music files and they be recognized by the engine/game.

anyways.. I'm not really expecting much, just a curiosity, really.

T
addict
addict
T
Support for compressed audio was in fact added quite a while ago (before 27 March 2019 is the best I can tell), but I have to admit I don't know which formats exactly are supported.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard