Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Hello everyone. So this will be my first ever forum post on divinity!

So basically I've been messing around with DOS2's GM mode a lot lately and it's has been a great overall experiece, aside from the fact that I feel there's a very limited ammount of maps, and that the ones that do exist are rather tiny for the plans I have in mind, and other issues, but they're not important right now.

The reason I'm making this post is because when the players roam around the map, the scenario looks really dull and lifeless, with every NPC staring blanky at nothing. Even the base game had a little bit of life in it that I can't quite put in my games, no matter what I do.

For a while I didn't quite understand what the issue was, but I finally figured a quick and simple solution for this: wandering. Some sort of roam option that could be placed in the map editor so the NPCs could pace around at a specific route so it actually feels like they're real living people ready to be interacted with. Sure, you could say the GM could simply possess a NPC and make it walk around, but that seems like needless micromanaging for something so trivial.

Thank you for reading my post, and I hope for a positive feedback!

old hand
old hand
You can do this with the editor, take a look at this guide to learn how to make patrols.

Another option might be to attach the GEN_Wander script to the NPCs in your level. There are several parameters for the script that determine how far they wander, how long they wait in between sessions, etc. This does not give a specific route but can actually look better at times than a predefined patrol and good to know about.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
My point isn't how to do it, my point is it would be easier for GM's who aren't too familiar or do not want to mess with the map editor. I do appreciate the comment. But I'm looking for a change to GM mode and allow these patrols/roam options straight from the its menu and not to force people to go to the map editor.

apprentice
apprentice
I too would like an GM option to make npcs either patrol or "wander" around, that and Emotes aswell

Last edited by GeneralKong; 13/02/18 01:55 PM.
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Agreed the addition of emotes or like some sort of idle animation would be great. For example clapping or cheering to add to a crowd in an arena map. Dancing or eating at a tavern. That would be a great addition as well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Fast answer without any research:
There are some mods that let you do apply emotes as status effects. Not sure but thought there was also one that had wandering NPCs as blueprints.

G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Well from what I've seen on the steam workshop. There aren't any mods like that. Of course this thing could be fixed by just making a mode but to me at least it just seems like such a simple fix and to just add it into a new patch.

enthusiast
enthusiast
At least for emotes: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1171786943&searchtext=Emotes

Easy patrolling was asked for from day one on. Looks like a ( by Larian considered)proper way is not so trivial.
I have no clue about scripting, but my implementation suggestion was:
Create blank NPC templates with a special wander / patrolling script
Which starts patrolling once special tagged patrolling points /waypoints) (object templates like small stones or invisible objects like stickies) are placed. Cycling through these patrolling points. Once only one waypoint exists the NPC will return/stop there. If all patrolling objects are deletes NPC stops immediately.
Don't know if that was possible to implement / script.

Last edited by morez; 15/02/18 07:54 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
You could use this mod for this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1171786943

I've tested it a bit and you can set wandering as a status on npc:s , just remember to make it infinte by setting duration to -1

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Amarillien
You could use this mod for this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1171786943

I've tested it a bit and you can set wandering as a status on npc:s , just remember to make it infinte by setting duration to -1

An yes same mod i posted. I knew i saw wandering somehow implemented somewhere.

A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote=morez][quote=Amarillien]You could use this mod for this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1171786943

[/quote]

An yes same mod i posted. I knew i saw wandering somehow implemented somewhere. [/quote]

I've tried this mod last night, and apparently it is not working anymore. The mod seems abandoned on the Steam Workshop.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard