Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I have tried now a few times to try my hand at modding the game a little but I can't seem to get started. I setup the engine and the data files, pointed to the correct location then try and create an addon. Point it to fort joy as described in one of the tutorials. The tutorial says there will be a message prompt but I get no prompt and when it loads the main center window where I would expect to see the map/surroundings is just blank. If I reload then I see the icons across the bottom of the window the buttons on it work, I can see the little mini map in the top right corner but the rest of the window is just blank.
I have no idea what could be wrong here but hard to edit when you can see anything.

addict
addict
Hey Volton,

so you select the level Fort Joy and it loads completely?
Are you sure your camera is not just pointed to the sky? You can move it around with the middle mouse, or double-click on any of the items in the World Outliner panel on the right.

Or do you maybe get any specific errors on loading that seem informative/relevant to your situation?

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
It's hard to say. When I first load it that window is totally blank.
If I choose reload level I get a message about some empty layer(s) and a notice that they will not be saved. When it loads I see the banner that says Fort Joy Beach for a moment then blank again.

If I choose reload story and level then it shows the banner at first, a message about a way point discovered and the hot bar appears the rest of the window is still blank.

Ok so I reloaded it and played around with holding the center button down and moving the mouse and saw something in the view port. It seems that when it loaded it was zoomed way out and at an odd angle so the window just looked blank.

It is cool that an editor like this is provided but it is hard to find info as to how to use it. Would be so much better if there were a help option within the editor.

Thanks for the tip with the mouse button, maybe now I can experiment a little

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Larian_KVN
or double-click on any of the items in the World Outliner panel on the right.

Volton, you should try that trick mentioned by Kevin. If you douuble-click any object in the World Outliner (you might activate that window via Menu Bar) your camera position will jump to the object, which should be somewhere in the scene.

You're right by asking for more guidance, though i've to say that I found out pretty fast by myself, (knowing creative content creation computer software quite well though).

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Once I was able to see something it went a little better.

I have managed to add some items, creatures and a trader into the game and have them working now.
I found a video that showed how to create the dialogs for a trader though I would much rather have some documents as I hate watching tutorial videos, they are generally long winded, hard to follow and rarely show what you really want to know. Even worse when the audio is low, speaker has an accent and video is blurry. Much easier to skim over a document and find the content needed.

btw I have no experience with 3d engines but I am a long time coder/developer just never really did anything in this area before. Mostly work on logic and data related code.

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Is there any way in the editor to edit textures on the 3d models, or the models themselves, faces for example or is there a free external program that can be used for this?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lord Volton
Is there any way in the editor to edit textures on the 3d models, or the models themselves, faces for example or is there a free external program that can be used for this?

Short answer yes! (now not the time to collect all links and make longer descriptions):
Use Norbyte's pak extracter tool. Extract Materials. Use search function for finding textures. Get to know the different texture types in the PBR workflow. Edit the textures (preferably with photoshop and intel or nvidia dds plugin). For testing by overwriting the original texture it is easier to save the texture.dds in the game folser in just the same path of the original texture as in the unpaked files. ( you have to create the pass manually)
Or you copy paste the material in resource manager, import the textures as new assets and associate them to your copied material. Copy the head model and associate with new texture)

That now was from my mobile device out of the head and memory. Let's see if i can give you further details. ( or somebody else )
See the wiki aswell.

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard