Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
I keep hoping for a Linux version. I know one has never been promised, but that doesn't mean I can't hope for it. Nor does it mean I can't ask. With the release of a new version I'm hoping that, like with the first game's EE, we'll see a port.

I've searched around and haven't caught word on this, but. . .did I miss a memo? Is it getting ported or have they said definitively, that they won't be porting it?

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
stranger
stranger
Given the relatively less-used nature of Linux, it's safe to assume that no news = news of it not happening until otherwise contradicted.

I have heard some people have been able to use windows app emulation tools on Linux to run a retail copy of DOS2, albeit not without occasional bugs. It may be worth looking into if you can. Sadly, I cannot recall any more detail than that and I am quite ignorant of how the process works.

Last edited by Kalavinka; 29/06/18 06:44 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I really hope that Larian releases a Linux version.

However, it's less likely than for D:OS1 because D:OS1 uses OpenGL which works on Linux, Windows and other platforms. They decided to use DirectX for D:OS2 which is not available under Linux … it's a Microsoft product.

On the other hand side there is the PS4 version. I have no clue if DirectX can be used by the PS4. I hope that it can't, so that there is or will be a native port soon.
:crossing fingers:

A
stranger
stranger
A
I just checked the manual of D:OS-EE and the system requirements section says

<quote>
· Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible GPU
· DirectX: Version 11"
</quote>
Linux is not mentioned.

However, the Linux sys requirements (on GOG) state:
· Graphics: OpenGL 4.x compliant video card

So they really made a port. Cool!
I really hope that Larian does the same for D:OS 2 as well!

A
stranger
stranger
A
Here's the "official" message:

"There have not been any announcement confirming or excluding a Linux port at this time."

So that's not a "no"! I keep hoping… wink

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard