Dear Esteemed Forum Moderators,
I'd like to suggest adding a pinned FAQ related to the Definitive Edition as these questions come up a lot on the various discussion media. Here is what I have posted in Discord:
Divnity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition FAQ
1. What is Divinity Original Sin 2 Defintive Edition (DOS2:DE)?
DOS2:DE will be a new game version coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on August 31, 2018. It will include a multitude of tweaks, new journal, completely overhauled third chapter, new tutorial, interface updates, "Sir Lorna the Squirrel" DLC, PvP arena updates, and more!
2. Will I get the DOS2:DE if I already own the game?
Yes, every owner of the PC edition will receieve the DOS2:DE for free on PC. It will show up in your Steam or GOG library as a separate game client.
3. Will I still be able to play the original DOS2 after DOS2:DE comes out?
Yes, there will be two separate game clients - one for DOS2 original and one for DOS2:DE.
4. Will my save games from DOS2 be compatible with DOS2:DE?
Due to the number of complex changes coming in the Definitive Edition, save-games aren't compatible but you'll have the option to launch either the classic game or the Definitive Edition from your library.
5. Will the existing DOS2 mods work with DOS2:DE?
Indications are that DOS2 mods will not be compatible with DOS2:DE, but Larian are working on a migration path. It may be hit or miss with some mods, but you should plan on the majority of them being incompatible at least at first.
6. Will GM Mode be supported on consoles?
No, GM Mode is not going to be supported on console platforms.
7. Will there be crossplay between PC, PS4, and Xbox One?
Crossplay will not be supported across different platforms