Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#647831 08/08/18 12:37 PM
123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
From the tooltip description in game:

"With Torturer, certain statuses caused by you are no longer blocked by Magic or Physical Armour, and their duration is extended by one turn. Burning, Poisoned, Bleeding, Necrofire, Acid, Suffocating, Entangled, Death Wish, and Raptured Tendons are affected by this talent."

Two issues.

(1)
The part about the statuses "no longer blocked by armor" is broken. It does not work - those statuses are still blocked by armor. The clips below shows my archer taking Torturer, and then I try applying Poisoned, Burning, or Bleeding status on the enemies. Their armor blocks the statuses as usual. frown

(2)
The other issue is that Acid, Suffocating, and Raptured Tendons should not even be listed here because they were never blocked by armor to begin with. With or without Torturer you can always apply those regardless of enemy armor, unless the enemy has immunity. In fact, the definition of Acid is "Destroys Physical Armor each turn" and Suffocating "Destroys Magic Armour each turn", so by definition they cannot be blocked by those armors.

Who writes these tooltips..?

Last edited by 123xzcs; 08/08/18 10:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Are you playing the Definitive Edition or the classic edition?

(1) This is an unusual case where the description is wrong, but it won't be at some point. Those statuses ARE blocked by armor now, but in the Definitive Edition, it will be changed so they won't be if you have the Torturer talent.

(2) They probably shouldn't be listed there, but they are all DoT spells, so they were probably in a list of DoT effects copied into the tooltip and not deleted.

The Definitive Edition is coming out at the end of the month, so unless you're playing it now, reporting bugs from the Classic version might end up being pointless, as they may already be fixed in the DE.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
How can I be playing something that hasn't been released? Obviously I'm reporting a bug in the current version of the game, which is v3.0.226.993, and not some future release that I know nothing about.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Those statuses ARE blocked by armor now, but in the Definitive Edition, it will be changed so they won't be if you have the Torturer talent.

How do you know that?

And no, reporting a bug is not pointless. If the classic edition will remain available for purchase and playing, the bug should be fixed regardless of any other editions. Either way, I can't possibly know whether this bug will be fixed in the next patch (edition, whatever), especially if it hasn't been reported before. So I don't find this pointless.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by 123xzcs; 08/08/18 01:56 PM.
old hand
old hand
It will be pointless if Larian has no plan to release any further patch for the old edition. Raze stated that there likely won't be any further update for the old edition before the DE is out. And once the DE is out, in theory, there's no reason to play the old edition anymore unless someone really dislikes the changes in the DE, or unless they simply want to wrap up their playthrough. Continuing to release patches for the old edition means they would have to replicate any fix they already implemented, or would implement, in the DE, even though essentially no one is going to play the old edition anymore.

Unless, of course, this problem still exists in the DE at this very moment, and no one has pointed it out yet.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 08/08/18 02:01 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
It will be pointless if Larian has no plan to release any further patch for the old edition.

Well, Larian will be patching at least one edition of the game, and you haven't really said what makes this bug report pointless. If Larian doesn't know about this bug, then it will be present in the definitive edition too. Unless you know for a fact that this has been reported, and a fix has been announced, then there is nothing pointless about reporting this.

From what I read about the definitive edition, it's just a free update, so it's not really a separate edition. 'Definitive' is just a fancy name of a big patch, so it's really just going to be a single edition. Either way, this bug needs to be reported.

I think possibly you're trying to say something like "wait a month to see if it's fixed in the new edition, before reporting new bugs", but you're saying it the wrong way, so it comes out nonsensical. No offense. grin

Last edited by 123xzcs; 08/08/18 06:13 PM.
old hand
old hand
No, I wasn't trying to say that. I wasn't saying your report is clearly pointless either. I was pointing out that it will be (essentially) pointless under certain conditions - if it has been addressed in the DE AND if Larian will not release any further fixes for the old edition.

Originally Posted by 123xzcs
If Larian doesn't know about this bug, then it will be present in the definitive edition too. Unless you know for a fact that this has been reported, and a fix has been announced, then there is nothing pointless about reporting this.

That is a definite possibility, hence what I said at the end of my last post: "Unless, of course, this problem still exists in the DE at this very moment, and no one has pointed it out yet."

For what it's worth, I watched your videos and it was amusing. You demonstrated the problem very clearly in the videos, and I like that.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 08/08/18 03:29 PM.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I try to be precise about describing the issues, and video evidence is best because it's worth a 1000 words (or was that a picture...) think

Originally Posted by Try2Handing
I was pointing out that it will be (essentially) pointless under certain conditions - if it has been addressed in the DE AND if Larian will not release any further fixes for the old edition.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I disagree about the word choice. I think you're saying that this bug report would be redundant, IF it turns out that Larian has already planned to fix this. Technically that's true, but you can say the same thing about any bug report because there is always an upcoming patch. And since I have no knowledge of what bugs will be fixed in the next patch, should I not report bugs just because a new patch is coming soon? Hell, I didn't even know until today that a new patch/edition is coming out soon. There is no downside to reporting the bug, even if it turns out they know about it, but there is certainly an upside - if they DON'T know about it, they will get to fixing the bug as soon as possible. This makes the bug report not pointless, at the time of posting it, given my information.

The conditions you are talking about are just not very relevant at the current time, since we don't have the info, which is true for any future patch. The best (and only) thing I can do at this point is to search the forums to check if this bug has been reported previously, and as far as I can tell it hasn't been. So, I have no reason to believe that Larian knows about this, which is all the reason I need right now to report any bug. It MAY turn out to be redundant in the future, but certainly not pointless because of the potential upside. There's a small distinction between those words, but it's there. grin

I find this discussion a little... pointless... HAHA
Just kidding grin , it was too good of a joke to pass up laugh
Good talk though. wink

Last edited by 123xzcs; 08/08/18 05:57 PM.
old hand
old hand
* spending 10 minutes typing a new reply with more in-depth analyzation and reasoning involving some abstract human behavioral science *

* deleting all of it *

You know what, fair enough.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
I WIN!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH! headbanging

LoL fair enough smile

veteran
veteran
I wonder if it's got something to do with the Causee. As in, that the game doesn't recognize the caster of the arrow (it looked like you used a poison arrow), so it checks the arrow item for the talent and not the caster of it, or something like that.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The Composer
I wonder if it's got something to do with the Causee. As in, that the game doesn't recognize the caster of the arrow (it looked like you used a poison arrow), so it checks the arrow item for the talent and not the caster of it, or something like that.

It's certainly an interesting guess. It would be funny if the AI was looking at the object that applies the status (arrow or grenade in this case), and not the character using the weapon. With that logic, the talent should never work because it's never the actual character applying the status but always a weapon or a spell (unless you fight with bare hands LoL).

Last edited by 123xzcs; 08/08/18 06:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
How can I be playing something that hasn't been released? Obviously I'm reporting a bug in the current version of the game, which is v3.0.226.993, and not some future release that I know nothing about.

Just thought I would ask, there was a beta for the DE on consoles.

And no, reporting a bug is not pointless. If the classic edition will remain available for purchase and playing, the bug should be fixed regardless of any other editions. Either way, I can't possibly know whether this bug will be fixed in the next patch (edition, whatever), especially if it hasn't been reported before. So I don't find this pointless.
Thanks for your input.

Judging by Larian's history, the classic version will remain available for playing, but NOT for purchase (although it might come free with a purchase of the DE). The DE will not be a patch, but a separate game, a new entry in your Steam/GoG library.

Larian does use new editions to fix a lot of bugs, but they do not indefinitely patch their older games just because people can still play them. Dragon Commander had a pending patch cancelled so they could work on DOS 1 and they have done nothing with it since. There are still bugs in other games, such as the "no music in boss fights" bug in the DOS 1 EE.

I was not saying that you should not be reporting the bug, just that it's quite possible that Larian has already fixed that in the DE (which does NOT mean they'll back-port the bug fix back to Classic.)

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline

I was not saying that you should not be reporting the bug, just that it's quite possible that Larian has already fixed that in the DE (which does NOT mean they'll back-port the bug fix back to Classic.)

Sure, that's certainly possible. It's also possible that Larian didn't know about this bug and they haven't fixed in the D.E. because nobody reported it to them. That's why we report bugs here in the forum to remove any uncertainty, and to ensure that they know about it. So in that sense no bug report is pointless. wink

Last edited by 123xzcs; 08/08/18 09:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
In this specific case, though, I don't think there's a need to do anything. That tooltip will be accurate in the DE, and the inclusion of additional statuses which ignored armor anyway does not hurt.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
In this specific case, though, I don't think there's a need to do anything. That tooltip will be accurate in the DE....

How do you know that? How do you know that the tooltip will be accurate in DE?

veteran
veteran
In this specific case, though, I don't think there's a need to do anything. That tooltip will be accurate in the DE....

The Torturer talent will allow you to apply status effects through magic or physical armor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/2207876

On the balancing side we’re squishing hp, armour and damage numbers to make rare equipment stay appealing for a longer time and smooth out some bumps in the progression. We’re also looking into community concerns about power of mages (see below), late-game scaling issues of summoners and tweaking some individual skills and talents to make them more viable. E.g. Torturer talent now allows to set DoT statuses through Armour.

https://fextralife.com/divinity-ori...changes-mechanics-skills-types-and-more/

old hand
old hand

The Torturer talent will allow you to apply status effects through magic or physical armor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/2207876

On the balancing side we’re squishing hp, armour and damage numbers to make rare equipment stay appealing for a longer time and smooth out some bumps in the progression. We’re also looking into community concerns about power of mages (see below), late-game scaling issues of summoners and tweaking some individual skills and talents to make them more viable. E.g. Torturer talent now allows to set DoT statuses through Armour.

https://fextralife.com/divinity-ori...changes-mechanics-skills-types-and-more/

Thing is, 123xzcs is clearly not aware of these tidbits, or that there likely won't be any more updates for the old edition, or even the fact that the DE is coming out - as he claimed, so any bug reports for the old edition will always be necessary and not pointless from his point of view. We are free to feel that the reports are not necessary or "pointless". He doesn't have to find it so.

You know, like when you insist on shaking your head repeating that you don't know about this or that so anything you do must be relevant by default. It's a legit strat.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
LoL why did you guys hide this info for so long? smile We could have ended this discussion long time ago, when I first asked "how do you know this will be fixed?" in the very beginning of the thread
Sheesh rolleyes
It's better to start with that info, instead of calling this bug report "potentially pointless depending on this and that", or what edition will be supported, and other irrelevant things. Hehe

So it's good news then. We'll just have to wait and see about the incorrect description which includes redundant statuses like Acid and Suffocating.

Thanks for the links. Phew

veteran
veteran
LoL why did you guys hide this info for so long? smile

Because my eyes skipped over the part where you said "How do you know that?"

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard