Next Thread
Print Thread
#649101 06/09/18 07:58 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
At launch Ive played the game up to act 2 with a party of tank, heal, ranger and mage. Only really worked in Act 1.

As far as I remember (its been a while) tanking in this game is not really possible ? In act 2 mobs are constantly porting and jumping around.

I really dont like melee except for real tanky charkters, and I always play a mage if I can in RPGs/MMOs.

SO i figured I would try a new game on the definite edition with a mage type party. I really like spells like fireball, chain lightning, blizzard and these type of spells. I also loved my dual wand witch in DOS1, is that also a thing here maybe ?

So what would you recommend as a 4 player magic party ? And how do they survive without a tank charakter ? All must be build tanky ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by crusher1980; 06/09/18 08:00 PM.
Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Necromancer summoner is outstanding...

old hand
old hand
Yes dual wands is a thing in this game, and arguably it's THE way to go as a mage. Double ranged attacks , double equipped effects, applying status effects and possible hard cc with basic attacks. There's no reason to do other, tbh. Well, maybe unless it's about style. You know, fashion.

The way it was in classic edition (I doubt it's much different in the DE but anyway) is, you don't "survive" combat by having a tank. You survive by spamming hard cc's and denying enemy turns and blasting anything on the opposite side to bits before they can even say "death is overrated" (I really wanted to caps this part but it'd look pretty nasty).

Sarcastically speaking, if you're actually having a tank (as in, a "traditional" tank) in your team, you're doing it wrong.

As for how strong a full magic damage party is, I can't say, as I've never tried it, but I'd wager that it works. I'd also like to point out that, a "magic" character doesn't necessarily mean they're doing MAGIC damage. A Necromancer build is definitely a caster type, but you'd be doing mostly physical damage with that build.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 06/09/18 09:25 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
Playing tank is pointless in this game. Most of the time the AI will just ignore the tank, except if you give him the glass cannon trait. Though that would probably make him being cc'ed all the time, so not that fun to play.

As in most games mages are weak in early game but grow strong in late game. Not sure if mages can outshine physical in late-game though they have some strong source skills I heard. But for most of the first act, damage of mages is pretty low, because you can't boost the damage with great weapons. As far as I remember mages start to feel better after level 7, though our archer still easily outshined our mage.
Even more with Ifans crossbow.

Though as Try2Handing kind of scratched on: A full mage setup will have a hard time finding enough decent weapons, in this case wands. Though you could say going one wand and one shield isn't that bad either though might not fit the typical mage feeling.

Everyone having skills to replenish armor and to teleport enemies around will probably be necessary.

old hand
old hand
Oh yeah...
I can't imagine the horror of struggling to hunt for the best pairs of wands for three or four characters every few hours of game time or so for the *entire* game. NotLikeThis.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 06/09/18 11:06 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Thanks for the input, I will try a little bit around.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
Well, maybe unless it's about style. You know, fashion.
That is why I'm playing Fane as a warfare, staff wielding, touch spell guy. It isn't efficient but looks and feels right.

As you say - style. Or perhaps fashion.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard