Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm working on a mod that adds new skills, but I've been trying to keep them as close to Larian's design philosophy as possible.

But that's made me wonder:

What is Larian's design philosophy? Do you have a list of principles when designing skills for the game? If so, I'd love to hear!

So far this is what I've intuited, and I may not necessarily be accurate:

- Each skill must be unique and accomplish either a purpose no other skill does or accomplish it in a different way
- There must be a proportion of darker or serious skills to the light-hearted and normal, comical or humorously absurd - 1 to 3 roughly
- Skills must have a clear theme so players know exactly how they work in-universe, especially for fantasy nerds like myself: Tornado, for example, is self-explanatory - as is Bone Cage

Any replies or discussion would be awesome.

addict
addict
Hey, Kalavinka!
Here are some pointers from our design team laugh

The principles that you identified are indeed some of what we use internally

With the exception of "Each skill must be unique" - we strive for that, but if gameplay on the whole would benefit from two very similar skills existing in different schools, we'd go for it.

Also note that there is a very big difference between adding skills to existing schools and adding a completely new school - a new school brings many unique problems to solve. Principles below concern the former case.

For existing schools, an important consideration is at which point the skill becomes available in the game.

Our starting skills (first half of Act1) are made to be easy to understand and plan around, but also covering enough design space to serve as the cornerstone of a character's combat kit.

Skills that appear in the second half of Act1 usually deal with magic and physical armour, as the player needs to be comfortable with managing those by the time they leave Act1.

For Act1 a good trick is to make a skill that is straightforward mechanically but give it some fun flavour to make it attractive.

Act2 is mainly about mobility skills and exploring every bit of design space we have. There are fights in Act2 that will challenge the player to master surfaces, resistances, mind control, mobility, target priority, etc. A good skill for Act2 is something specialized that can solve narrow problems but also combo well with other skills.

In the endgame we tried to make fights that will challenge the player to try tactics outside of their comfort zone. This is a good place to put a skill that has a significant drawback that needs to be played around (e.g. piercing self-damage, or disabling the caster for a turn), but will be used by expert players for greater advantage. It is also time for skills that serve as a combo-topper, something that rewards the players for prepping the battlefield and manipulating enemy positioning with a fireworks display.

Finally we tried to include skills throughout the game that, when put together, will lead to near-degenerate tactics in the hands of the most dedicated players. Typically these are skills granting extra AP, SP, turns, resetting cooldowns. It would be a good idea to include in your batch of skills something that will ignite the imagination of players that want to break the game in a way worthy of a youtube video.

CTRL+K the elf
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Kevin! (And the design team, who are with us in spirit wink )

Thank you all very much for the guide! I'm really excited to have heard back from you. Your process is very interesting. I hadn't noticed the way you'd split skills across acts, but it makes perfect sense to me now.

I really like the flavour aspect: it's definitely something that does encourage players to try out starting skills.

Curiously, how often do you start from cool flavour concepts and design around them versus taking practical game concepts and designing cool flavour around them? I imagine it's very much back-and-forth.

Last edited by Kalavinka; 07/01/19 12:33 PM.
addict
addict
Indeed it is, you generally want a mix of "rockstar" skills that draw all the attention and "workhorse" skills that plug in various holes and round out the kit.

CTRL+K the elf

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard