Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#651614 21/01/19 09:17 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just bought this game on PC after playing it for a while on PS4. After creating a character and spawning in the tutorial ship, I found that there is no Area Search command.

The Area Search is a command you can execute in console versions that pulls up a list of everything object you can interact with that is within X meters of you. While some may argue that this is only essential on consoles and not needed on PC because you can hold Left Alt to highlight everything that you can interact with, I am here to beg differently for multiple reasons.

1) Left Alt only highlights SOME objects, not all. Most importantly, it doesn't highlight loot-able bodies or containers, AFAICT. Also, it appears that it does not highlight some minor items like candles which may end up being useful. (E.g., tossing a candle into a poison puddle in the starting area clears the poison for you.)

2) I am an older player with eyesight issues. Spotting barrels and pre-existing bodies is difficult for me. (Even bodies on monsters I killed early on in a fight.)

3) The list on console provides a very quick way to see how much each loo-table items weighs and how much it is worth. I don't see any way to quickly determine this info in the PC version. (You can't tell this info till it is in your inventory, I believe.

4) Even if you ignore #1-3 from above, the Area Search is much faster and way more convenient.'

5) There are lots of people asking for this feature. (Search the web for "divinity original sin 2 area search" and you will see tons of discussions about it.) It seems like a highly desirable feature.

I LOVE this game. Until a few months ago, the only RPG I played on PC was Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. This beats BG:EE hands down, but the area search is proving to be a huge frustration for me.

What are the odds that your team could help an aging nerd with bad eyes out and add this feature?

Thanks!

Last edited by Grahamers; 21/01/19 09:22 PM. Reason: Inserted reason 4 between 3 and 5.
Grahamers #651615 21/01/19 09:29 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
This is just another useful tool that console players have but are denied to PC players, another one is the console inventory multiple- select tool. It's disappointing that PC gamers, the core of Larian's support, are still waiting for these improvements.

Lostsheep #651616 21/01/19 10:02 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Lostsheep
another one is the console inventory multiple- select tool.

I just discovered this one. Between the two, I will take Area Search.

Last edited by vometia; 22/01/19 09:01 AM. Reason: formatting
Grahamers #651619 22/01/19 09:05 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Grahamers
2) I am an older player with eyesight issues. Spotting barrels and pre-existing bodies is difficult for me. (Even bodies on monsters I killed early on in a fight.)

Oi! Less of the "older player" stuff: you're younger than me! Albeit just a bit. But yeah age and eyesight issues, and finding my latest "is most common in the over fifties": it could've waited until a bit longer than just a couple of weeks after my fiftieth. Grr.

Anyway, yeah, the highlight items thing not highlighting containers has long been a bit of a quandary and an inconvenience. Sometimes I wonder if decisions like that are to mollify the Codexers who moan that any QoL stuff makes the game too easy, or if it's just one of those random Larian idiosyncrasies.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard