Next Thread
Print Thread
#652789 09/06/19 08:10 AM
L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
I've had a game crash, now it won't load. I click on the green play button and it says cloud savea synched then noting and the button is green again!

Please can anone help?

Thanks,
LS.

Support
Support

Reboot, or open the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc or right click an open area of the Task Bar) and forcibly close EoCApp.exe if it is still stuck in memory from the crash.

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator.
Also try starting the launcher directly from the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\bin\SupportTool.exe' executable.

If the launcher doesn't start from the executable, try deleting the config.xml file in the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\bin' folder, as well as 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\LarianLauncher' (copy and paste %LocalAppData%\LarianLauncher into Windows Explorer to quickly open that folder).
After that, try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.

If you get the launcher starting, but the game does not:
If applicable, disable Steam cloud support either globally (in the client click on the Steam menu and select Settings, and then Cloud) or just for this game (in the library right click Divinity: Original Sin 2 and select Properties, then switch to the Updates tab and check the Steam Cloud section).
Alternately, exit out of the Steam client and just start the game directly from the executable when required.

Next, try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and rename the 'Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition' subfolder.
This folder contains the saved games, configuration files and a level cache folder. Deleting or renaming it will get the game to recreate it on startup; playing the game from a different Windows user account would effectively do the same thing. With Steam running and cloud support enabled, the client would just download the cloud copy of your existing profile.
After that, see if you can start D:OS 2 DE. If so, create a new profile and maybe check that you can start a new game and save/load. If that works, exit and copy a couple saves from the renamed folder into the newly created profile's ..\Savegames\Story folder. If that continues to let you start the game and load the saves, move the rest of the saves over.
If the game still crashes, delete the new My Documents D:OS 2 DE folder and rename the original back again.

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Thanks Raze but I think I should have said that I'm using GOG Galaxy! (Sorry!). I've re-installed twice to no effect. BTW my downloaded game file is 56 Gb, is this because it includes the classic game and, if so, how do I get rid of it?

Thanks,
LS.

Support
Support

Everything is pretty much the same for GOG, except the difference with the install path, and disabling cloud support (to do so globally, click on the GOG.com button and select Settings, and then Features; just for D:OS 2, with the game selected, click the More button and select Settings, then near the bottom unselect the Cloud saves option).

Yes, it is. The data for the Classic version can be removed, but with the next game update, Galaxy would want to re-download it. There are a couple of ways to get around that, though.

The first may not be feasible if you want to continue using the cloud save feature. If you have another drive with lots of free space, where the size isn't a problem, you can simply copy the folder there and 'import' it in Galaxy to change the install location (took a quick look, and Galaxy doesn't appear to support moving install folders directly). Then you can delete everything but the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd' folder on the current drive, and start the game directly from the executable. If Steam is running the game will connect when starting from the executable to make Steamworks functions available, but this doesn't appear to be the case for Galaxy. To sync saves you would need to restart the game through Galaxy after playing and quitting the instance from the executable. After Galaxy updates the install on the larger drive, you could then manually copy the DefEd folder to the current location again to update that folder.

Alternately, you can move the original release data folder to a USB flash drive, if available, or a different drive, and then use a symbolic link to make the files and folders appear to be at the expected location for Galaxy, so it doesn't redownload them if you verify files or the game updates (in the game Settings in Galaxy, you can disable automatic updates, so if you use a flash drive you don't have to keep it plugged in).
In the 'Divinity Original Sin 2' folder, 'Classic' and 'Data' can both be moved, as well as 'bin' since you wouldn't be using the launcher; most of the size is the 'Data' folder, though.

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Thanks Raze, I'm sure my son will do that for me when we next Skype. After much ado it turns out my laptop has a "critical error", as it's still under warranty it wil be repaired or replaced.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard