Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Also why I believe the release is at least a year off. They haven't even been talking to us about the game development which Swen eluded to in the interview quoted in an earlier post of mine.

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=653160#Post653160

Artagel #656274 17/10/19 02:45 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Artagel

Is that the only thing you're basing it on?

That is more than sufficient evidence, based on Larian's history.

The evidence that it won't be released for the Stadia launch is also based on the common sense that you don't just drop a huge blockbuster game in two weeks from now completely without marketing. Since the game won't be ready for Stadia no matter what, that makes them immune from pressure to have something for Stadia's release.

Was just curious if there was any more info that had been released.

So game is at least a year away.... and yet some still claiming the combat system has already been decided and is locked in no matter what.... Riiiiight.

Got it. Hope to see some concept art soon! (for a second I thought that image from the Fallen Heroes delay article was early BG3 stuff)

S
veteran
veteran
S
for someone claiming to not care about combat you sure make every single thing about the combat system.

to clarify, the game is a year away, and its been in development for what? how long has it been since OS2?
over a year right? And then it was in development before that.
Chances are, most of the features are down. And stuff like combat system and generaly game systems get decided early on, because the rest of the game must be made to fit that.
Chances are, they are producing content right now and introducing art assets.

old hand
old hand
I hope we get some news before October 23.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

What is October 23?

Sordak #656320 19/10/19 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Sordak
for someone claiming to not care about combat you sure make every single thing about the combat system.

to clarify, the game is a year away, and its been in development for what? how long has it been since OS2?
over a year right? And then it was in development before that.
Chances are, most of the features are down. And stuff like combat system and generaly game systems get decided early on, because the rest of the game must be made to fit that.
Chances are, they are producing content right now and introducing art assets.

Wasn't me who claimed to not care about combat, that was another poster.

Lot of assuming here. There are major milestones once something this big is announced and we've only heard about 1 so far.

Kinda don't think you know much more than anyone else.

S
veteran
veteran
S
not a lot of assuming, we know when development started because sven told us when WOTC approached them after they were turned down the first time.
And id say after that ammount of time that theyve had, they probably got things like the combat system down at least in planning.

Mostly because , in an RPG, the combat system dictates a lot of the games content. If you got a real time combat system, chacnes are youll wanna throw in a lot more fights than in a game like OS because they wont last as long.
Combat, character creation and progression are the hallmarks of an RPG, logic dictates that you probably should nail those down before you start creating the worldspace.

and they did have plenty of time.
its assumptions but its assumptions based on evidence

Sordak #656322 19/10/19 10:15 AM
Support
Support

It was stated in interviews after the game announcement that the combat system had already been determined.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

What is October 23?

My Birthday is on October 23.

Anyways a tiny bit of fresh news on BG 3. Hopefully this is a sign of more to come soon.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/10/30/baldurs-gate-3-dev-reveals-monstrous-new-image-a-ign-first

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 30/10/19 06:29 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Hawke #656634 09/11/19 08:19 AM
A
addict
addict
A

thanks! a good read. so it seems pretty much larian hated real-time games now. they are making it back then because publishers asked them to. and now with the ever popular DOS2, BG3 fate possibly going to end up in turn-based.

i'm enjoying pretty much alot on DOS2. currently playing archer/summoner.. but it seems suxs.. so gonna make it a full fledge ranger. although i really enjoying DOS2, i really like to see how creative Larian in innovating the gameplay in BG3. i really HATE to see it to be a DOS2 clone.

one of my biggest problem with DOS2? i'm not sure if there's a pause and assign button at all. NPCs are running around and you actually have to chase them with your mouse to be able to talk to them. that's a great tedium IMHO.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Please keep any commentary about RT vs. TB vs. whatevs in the relevant topic, thanks. I pinned it to stop it spilling over into other discussions, as tends to happen with contentious subjects.

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
actually ranger / summoner can work.
Summoner doenst realy need a big stat investment and ranger, in many ways, lives off special arrows. Ranger has always felt lackluster to me because essentialy you shoot an arrow every turn.
Now, you might run into trouble trying to do a normal summoner build because youll waste a lot of your AP trying to buff your incarnate or make totmens.
I guess if you wanna go with that combination, you should stay out of combat for the first turn, summon your pet in, buff it on the first turn and then let the incarnate support melee while your character is focused on Special arrows and highground archery.

note that you can do some realy good mobility with tac retreat and the nether swap infusion for your incarnate

Sordak #656656 09/11/19 06:36 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Sordak
actually ranger / summoner can work.
Summoner doenst realy need a big stat investment and ranger, in many ways, lives off special arrows. Ranger has always felt lackluster to me because essentialy you shoot an arrow every turn.
Now, you might run into trouble trying to do a normal summoner build because youll waste a lot of your AP trying to buff your incarnate or make totmens.
I guess if you wanna go with that combination, you should stay out of combat for the first turn, summon your pet in, buff it on the first turn and then let the incarnate support melee while your character is focused on Special arrows and highground archery.

note that you can do some realy good mobility with tac retreat and the nether swap infusion for your incarnate

archer/summoner was a big mistake. i went pure ranger now and my DPS skyrocketed. it way more fun now. DOS2 lacks in hybrid builds. i always wanted a Thor build but it seems you either go Strength or Intelligence. You don't go both. Or you be gimped. It's similar like Archer/Summoner. back on to BG3, i'm not sure how D&D is going to implement builds/gearing. it be really interesting to see.

Also the issue with DOS2 is that i hate merchant farming and i have to do it or else i'll get subpar gear and couldn't even proceed with any quest. i like to see them improve or innovate in this regard.

old hand
old hand

S
veteran
veteran
S
only if you work on the assumption that damage trumps utility, it might be if you go high optimizaiton lone wolf.
but in my playthoruhgs , utility is almost always what wins me enconters.
DPS is largley irrelevant.
OS2 is pretty good for hybrid builds, the quesiton however is WHAT hybrids.
Summoning IIRC doesnt scale with any attribute, making it pretty good to combine with something else.
INT only scales the damage of spells, so if you only use buff and movement spells, your lack of int is literaly irrelevant.
Your damage comes from your weapona fterall

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I am thinking that Stadia while not exclusive to their platform has an exclusive reveal of BG3.

Can you imagine the backlash if BG3 had a timed Stadia exclusivity deal. I can't imagine Google would pay them much for an exclusive reveal, and without a good bit of funding Larian wouldn't have any incentive to do that deal. Even if it would be a 1 month Stadia exclusivity deal, a part of me would die inside as I watched one of the two game studios I still trust move in an anti-consumer direction.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i think what hes saying is that stadia gets to show gameplay first.
as in, BG3 can only be revealed once we know more about stadia, which isnt impossible

old hand
old hand
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sea.ign.com/baldurs-gate-iii/155251/interview/larian-studios-new-studio-in-malaysia-and-the-complexity-of-baldurs-gate-3%3famp=1

IGN interviews CEO of Larian Svend. Choice quotes below.

What's the main focus of Larian Studios in Malaysia?

Swen: It's to help with the development cycle. We've organised in a way that when we start working in one studio and then we can pass it to another studio so we don't have to work like madmen 20 hours a day.

We did this for Divinity: Original Sin 2, which we made in two years. For such a large RPG, it's unheard of. This had to do with the fact that we can send the work to Canada. So, I can go to sleep while the team in Canada is working further on the game but when I woke up in the morning, a lot of work is already done.

The game we're making, Baldur's Gate 3, is an insanely big game. It's super complex for us to develop for the players and it's a really complex game to make. Given the size of it, we all need the help we can get to make it"

"The thing I love the most about the Divinity series is its versatility. You can play with other friends and you can play as a single-player or multiplayer. There's a lot to take in from the story, combat, characters and multiple RPG and strategy gameplay to tailor for each player. I'm curious about the period of perfecting the Divinity: Original Sin development.

Swen: We started out with the idea of how large we're going to be but we're always wrong. I mean with Baldur's Gate 3, we've made a lot of iterations but it's always the same mistake and it’s bigger than we expected. It's because we take things to the next level and decide many options like, "Wouldn't that be cool, wouldn't those be cool, yeah?" (laughs).

We try to reward exploration and experimentation for the players. That means we probably put an irrational amount of effort that only a few people will see but we think that would be really cool to see in the game. But the thing is that when the players discover that, it becomes a very big advocate for the game because I never expected that possibility. There's a lot of passion that goes into making this game obviously."

"
Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3 now and Baldur's Gate is such a beloved franchise. How are you going to live up with the fans' expectations?

Swen: I don't think we can live up to the expectations. I think that's impossible. Those expectations are soaring through to the roof. What we're doing is we're making our type of Dungeons & Dragons with a lot of love for what came before and with also putting our own stamp on it.

That's literally the only way we could approach it. We don't want to make a clone of Baldur's Gate 2. We want to make Baldur's Gate 3. It's based on the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons so there's a lot of stuff that I think that we're going to add into it. There are also innovations and things you haven't seen before but we'll never know which one the fans are going to like it or not. I hope the fans like it because we put a lot of effort into it."

"
Have you asked the previous developers BioWare and Interplay about making Baldur's Gate 3?

Swen: Well, the team who made previous Baldur's Gate games have spread around but we talked to a whole lot of them. We chatted with them about how to do it. We also talked to the people of Wizards of the Coast obviously since they're the owner of Dungeons & Dragons. So we came up with something that I think it's good. We'll see."

"I'm fascinated by how you're able to translate tabletop gameplay to video games. Tabletop games are quite complex already. Will Baldur's Gate 3 has the gameplay mechanics similar to Divinity: Original Sin?

Swen: No, it's not the same as Divinity: Original Sin. It's very different at its core. For me, the biggest difference is probably the class-based gameplay. The similarity, however, is that both Divinity: Original Sin and Baldur's Gate 3 will try to give you a lot of player agency. You decide to do something. The Dungeon Master thinks and says, "Sure, roll D20". They just check and we'll see if it goes or not. That's the fun of it.

We're trying to do the same but in a video game, the game itself becomes the Dungeon Master. So we have to figure out upfront on what you're going to be doing, for example, in terms of stupidity and have the game world reacts to you. That's what we want to try. I think we have cool stuff in there."

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard