Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657288
26/11/19 05:38 AM
26/11/19 05:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 498
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 498
Norway
I was prepared to reign hell if you'd dizz pineapple on pizza. It is clearly the only truth in life.

Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657290
26/11/19 05:53 AM
26/11/19 05:53 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27,610
Canada
Raze Offline

Larian Studios
Raze  Offline

Larian Studios

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27,610
Canada

In Canada ham and pineapple pizza's are called Hawaiian; in Hawaii they are called Canadian (here 'Canadian' pizza generally involves back bacon).

Re: New interviews [Re: Raze] #657291
26/11/19 06:29 AM
26/11/19 06:29 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by Kaspar
if one is going to take a high-handed, dismissive, and disrespectful attitude, and to imagine that one's own subjective opinions represent "insight", while others' opinions are "bad taste", well, then we're going to have problems.

I don't think that is how it was intended.
I once told someone in a store he had excellent taste in pens; he correctly interpreted that to mean I had the same brand/style pen, rather than I was actually passing judgement on his taste. I've also seen and used 'good taste' when referring to someone happening to wear the same type of shirt/hat/whatever as someone else.
It is no more dismissive or disrespectful than than calling someone a heathen if they cook steak well done. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes those opinions are just 'wrong'.
For some reason there are also people have very strong opinions about pineapple on pizza. It is fine either way, and you're silly to make judgements about someone just because they like / don't like the opposite. Unless you like steak well done; then you're definitely a heathen.


I lack the power to divine intentions, but I think the attitude comes across pretty clearly, when you look at it all together. "OK Boomer" I think is pretty clear cut. It's essentially saying to an older person, "OK, Dear. Yes, whatever." Pretty obnoxious, and well deserving of being told where to stick it, IMO. I think saying "you have no taste/have excellent taste" can be said in a tongue-in-cheek and friendly way, but I really think this is not that.

And not really the sort of talk conducive to courteous and constructive discussion, which is the point I was responding to.

Last edited by Kaspar; 26/11/19 07:18 AM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657296
26/11/19 08:12 AM
26/11/19 08:12 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
S
Sordak Offline
old hand
Sordak  Offline
old hand
S

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
Ok Boomer has a very specific meaning.
Its a response to someone who sticks to an outdated view of things and doenst engage with change. Aka a boomer.

My post was a response to a specific post.
What do you reply to someone who goes on about "Hating" Divinitys setting? Theres no nuanced answer to that, thus why i dismissed it. his dislike of somehting is inconsequential to this discussion, thats why i didnt just say "Contratulations on hving bad taste" but also "I dont care".
because having bad taste, by which i mean liking or disliking things without explaining why, is not an argument.

Its funny that you like to paint me as some complete dick here without considering the context of the post i was replying to.
Somehow i imagine if i were to say "Well i totaly hated the setting of Baldurs gate it was silly and i couldnt take it seriously" youd be at my throat immediatly.

and quite frankly, im getting sick of some posters hiding behind "Forum rules" and "decency" while making claims and not backing them up, baiting people into loaded questions and the like.

Last edited by Sordak; 26/11/19 08:13 AM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657298
26/11/19 08:41 AM
26/11/19 08:41 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
A Boomer is a person of a specific generation. To state that this is AKA "someone who sticks to an outdated view of things and doenst engage with change" is so obviously prejudicial I'm not quite sure what your defence is supposed to be.

With regard to people needing to make an argument to justify expressing their preferences or dislikes, I think that speaks to your evident confusion of the subjective with the objective.

I'll give you another example of something that is not an argument, though, and why I thought you not worth engaging with:

Originally Posted by Sordak

but your criticism of divinity is a major case of OLD THING GOOD, NEW THING BAD
To which i canonly reply: Ok Boomer.


What that is, is a blatant straw man (in caps lock, naturally) followed by an ad hominem based on a person's age. The rest of it just a list of things you happen to find implausible about Forgotten Realms, with an extra ad hominem about the creator being a "fetishistic hippie". So, I'm afraid I just find it all rather snide, smug, and not very credible.

Last edited by Kaspar; 26/11/19 08:41 AM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657299
26/11/19 08:55 AM
26/11/19 08:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
S
Sordak Offline
old hand
Sordak  Offline
old hand
S

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
Well theres no helping you then.
Have fun on your moral high horse because thats all youre getting out of this.

Welcome to reality, "Ok Boomer" is a quote, so yes it has more significance, nobdoy cares about personal taste thats grounded in nothing on a discussion board, so i dont know how that was to be a rebuttal.

And oh no! the strawman, the most fallicious of the logical fallacies! You pointed it out! And my caps lock too! How could this happen to me NOOOOOOOO

Real talk. Nostalgia goggles are a real thing, and hyperbolicaly discribing what someone else is doing isn t a strawman.
A strawman is attacking an argument nobody has made.
Pointing out that someone holds a certain position out of nostalgia, proven by the fact that he will criticise one thing in a new game, but praise the exact same thing in an old one, is not a straw man.
And i personally dont think its an ad hominem to call someone a fetishisitc hippie that specifically includes his sexual fetishes in his fanasy writing. Not that this wouldnt be a staple of this genre by now...

You clearly think you have some moral high ground here, youre just beeing pedantic and trying to one up me.
I explained myself. My post wasnt even adressed at you,
As far as im concerned ive dismissed your accusations.

Last edited by Sordak; 26/11/19 08:56 AM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657300
26/11/19 09:02 AM
26/11/19 09:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Well, I think you've underlined my point very nicely. Let's leave it at that, and the spare the moderators a chore.

Re: New interviews [Re: Kaspar] #657302
26/11/19 11:02 AM
26/11/19 11:02 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27,610
Canada
Raze Offline

Larian Studios
Raze  Offline

Larian Studios

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 27,610
Canada
Originally Posted by Kaspar
A Boomer is a person of a specific generation. To state that this is AKA "someone who sticks to an outdated view of things and doenst engage with change" is so obviously prejudicial I'm not quite sure what your defence is supposed to be.

The term boomer is quite commonly used to refer to people of any age that conform to 'boomer' stereotypes, such as not being being very technologically literate (do a live stream with your microphone muted the first 2 minutes, and don't be surprised if you're called a boomer even if you're 30).

Re: New interviews [Re: Raze] #657306
26/11/19 12:32 PM
26/11/19 12:32 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,706
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,706
The Frog & Hounds
Originally Posted by Raze
The term boomer is quite commonly used to refer to people of any age that conform to 'boomer' stereotypes, such as not being being very technologically literate (do a live stream with your microphone muted the first 2 minutes, and don't be surprised if you're called a boomer even if you're 30).

I think it doesn't even need to conform to a stereotype but is often used as a simple ad hominem aimed at anyone assumed to be older. It's not really new, in the same way that the amusingly-quaint sounding "get back to Squaresville, daddio" wasn't new either, but it's much the same sort of thing.

As for steak, I do have a rather narrow view that anything more or less than rare is Just Wrong™ and I like pineapple on pizza... inasmuch as I love pizza until I have a carb overdose about 15 minutes later!


J'aime le fromage.
Re: New interviews [Re: Raze] #657307
26/11/19 12:36 PM
26/11/19 12:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
What you might get called on an internet live stream is the benchmark of what's acceptable?

Originally Posted by Raze
The term boomer is quite commonly used to refer to people of any age that conform to 'boomer' stereotypes, such as not being being very technologically literate (do a live stream with your microphone muted the first 2 minutes, and don't be surprised if you're called a boomer even if you're 30).


By that logic, the term "faggot" is fine, because it's commonly used to refer people of any sexuality who conform to gay stereotypes...

Last edited by Kaspar; 26/11/19 12:39 PM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657309
26/11/19 01:25 PM
26/11/19 01:25 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
S
Sordak Offline
old hand
Sordak  Offline
old hand
S

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
Well yes, if youre on 4chan, you should expect to be calld a faggot, everyone is.
Its a matter of context.

And if you realy think Boomer is on the level of Faggot on this forum, then idk, i made it clear what it was about and you want to blow it up into somehting big.
Ok, i called someone who is, hopefully, not you, a Boomer.

But i can congratulate you for obfuscating the actual point that was beeing made by beeing outraged about my choice of words.

Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657310
26/11/19 01:34 PM
26/11/19 01:34 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,706
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,706
The Frog & Hounds
Guys. etc.

Er anyway, other than randomly pointing out that faggots are also meatballs and still the first thing I generally think of. I'm sure it's not entirely because I'm food-obsessed.


J'aime le fromage.
Re: New interviews [Re: Sordak] #657311
26/11/19 01:41 PM
26/11/19 01:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Sordak
And if you realy think Boomer is on the level of Faggot on this forum, then idk, i made it clear what it was about and you want to blow it up into somehting big.


Except that's not what I said. I'm saying that if the logic someone is using to defend the term could equally well apply to something more egregious, then it might be a bad argument.

I'm not outraged, and of course you try to play the "moral high horse" card, which is unfailingly produced when someone is pulled up on the way they're treating others. I'm not trying to obfuscate your point (your own posts do a decent job of that), I'm just explaining why I don't respect that sort of behaviour. I'm not making complaints to the moderators or demanding action - I'm explaining my position, just as you are attempting to do.

Last edited by Kaspar; 26/11/19 01:48 PM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657312
26/11/19 01:52 PM
26/11/19 01:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 498
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 498
Norway
Quick question, play this whole ordeal out in your heads. Imagine it comes to a conclusion (*insert laugh track here*); What comes out of it? Then take your answer and consider if it's worth all that energy. If you're actually the more mature person or simply just know better than them, prove it by leaving pointless internet debacles to whither off on its own.

Now let's move on to more fun things; Nerdgasming over new tiny details we may sniff out in new interviews about Divinity's Gate 3... Wait, what?

Last edited by The Composer; 26/11/19 01:58 PM.
Re: New interviews [Re: The Composer] #657313
26/11/19 02:09 PM
26/11/19 02:09 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by The Composer
Quick question, play this whole ordeal out in your heads. Imagine it comes to a conclusion (*insert laugh track here*); What comes out of it? Then take your answer and consider if it's worth all that energy. If you're actually the more mature person or simply just know better than them, prove it by leaving pointless internet debacles to whither off on its own.

Now let's move on to more fun things; Nerdgasming over new tiny details we may sniff out in new interviews about Divinity's Gate 3... Wait, what?


Well, to my mind, the question of how people behave in debates on the forum directly affects the ability to have enjoyable conversations about the game itself, so I don't see it as entirely separate or trivial (except insofar as any debate on a CRPG forum is pretty trivial.) I did suggest earlier that we just drop it, but the other guys seem to want to revisit the points, and I don't mind responding to those arguments (particularly when some of them come from a Larian representative.)

Last edited by Kaspar; 26/11/19 02:18 PM.
Re: New interviews [Re: Nobody_Special] #657315
26/11/19 02:45 PM
26/11/19 02:45 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
S
Sordak Offline
old hand
Sordak  Offline
old hand
S

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,151
i dont realy think there have been any in the recent ones. Could be that weve been missing a few tho.
If you want to find out something about a game, learn to speak french since the french outlets have a tendency of printing stuff they shouldnt print because they know nobody will ever find ot.

as someone pointed out in the other thread, there recently was an unearthed arcana about psionics which coincides nicely with illithids.
To which one has to add that unearthed arcana is not actually official rules (but tends to get adapted into official rules in later book releases)

Which then leads to the question: will BG3s release be followed by another 5E book release, mostly rethorical question, the announcement was paired with a book release so i can only imagine that the game release will be too.
The same has been done with Neverwitner, which is a far less high profile endeavor than BG3

Re: New interviews [Re: Sordak] #657316
26/11/19 03:04 PM
26/11/19 03:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 498
Norway
The Composer Offline
addict
The Composer  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 498
Norway
Originally Posted by Sordak
i dont realy think there have been any in the recent ones. Could be that weve been missing a few tho.
If you want to find out something about a game, learn to speak french since the french outlets have a tendency of printing stuff they shouldnt print because they know nobody will ever find ot.


Suddenly I want to learn French for the first time in my life >.<

Re: New interviews [Re: Kaspar] #657319
26/11/19 03:28 PM
26/11/19 03:28 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 504
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Offline
addict
kanisatha  Offline
addict

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 504
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by Kaspar
Originally Posted by The Composer
Quick question, play this whole ordeal out in your heads. Imagine it comes to a conclusion (*insert laugh track here*); What comes out of it? Then take your answer and consider if it's worth all that energy. If you're actually the more mature person or simply just know better than them, prove it by leaving pointless internet debacles to whither off on its own.

Now let's move on to more fun things; Nerdgasming over new tiny details we may sniff out in new interviews about Divinity's Gate 3... Wait, what?


Well, to my mind, the question of how people behave in debates on the forum directly affects the ability to have enjoyable conversations about the game itself, so I don't see it as entirely separate or trivial (except insofar as any debate on a CRPG forum is pretty trivial.) I did suggest earlier that we just drop it, but the other guys seem to want to revisit the points, and I don't mind responding to those arguments (particularly when some of them come from a Larian representative.)

Some people are just innately that way, and the best approach for me has always been to just ignore them and to not even bother to read their post anymore.

Re: New interviews [Re: kanisatha] #657327
26/11/19 09:14 PM
26/11/19 09:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Kaspar Offline
apprentice
Kaspar  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Some people are just innately that way, and the best approach for me has always been to just ignore them and to not even bother to read their post anymore.


I'm sure you're right. Some of the other guys posed some perspectives that I wanted to respond to, and I got a bit more drawn into it than I'd intended.

Re: New interviews [Re: Raze] #657328
26/11/19 10:21 PM
26/11/19 10:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 581
Omegaphallic Offline
addict
Omegaphallic  Offline
addict

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 581
Originally Posted by Raze

In Canada ham and pineapple pizza's are called Hawaiian; in Hawaii they are called Canadian (here 'Canadian' pizza generally involves back bacon).


You win the thread. I had no idea they called Hawaiian pizza Canadian in Hawaii, that is hilarious.

I love Hawaiian, it's one of my favourites, along with meat lovers and few others.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 26/11/19 10:22 PM.
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  Freddo, vometia 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2