Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sordak
i dont realy think there have been any in the recent ones. Could be that weve been missing a few tho.
If you want to find out something about a game, learn to speak french since the french outlets have a tendency of printing stuff they shouldnt print because they know nobody will ever find ot.

as someone pointed out in the other thread, there recently was an unearthed arcana about psionics which coincides nicely with illithids.
To which one has to add that unearthed arcana is not actually official rules (but tends to get adapted into official rules in later book releases)

Which then leads to the question: will BG3s release be followed by another 5E book release, mostly rethorical question, the announcement was paired with a book release so i can only imagine that the game release will be too.
The same has been done with Neverwitner, which is a far less high profile endeavor than BG3

You mean outlets like Jeuxvidéo? The latest article on BG3 is dated July 8th though. Did you mean that as a joke?

S
veteran
veteran
S
im not saying that they revealed something for baldurs gate 3, im saying that french outlets tend to print stuff early
Also french translations of video games tend t o leave in cut things.
For example Morrowind and Oblivion both have uncesored versions of lorebooks (specifically the mysterium xarxes IIRC and definitly the sermons of vivec) in it.

If you get into that sorta stuff, beeing a frog is certainly a blessing

Sordak #657343 27/11/19 07:21 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
No worries. What outlets in particular can you point to?

S
veteran
veteran
S
im not french so i cant, i get that information from some canadians that frequent the same communities i do

Kaspar #657363 28/11/19 12:00 PM
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Kaspar
What you might get called on an internet live stream is the benchmark of what's acceptable?

The context was the point. The meaning of the word is not restricted to just a specific generation, and calling someone a boomer is not always an attack that requires a fainting couch. People can call themselves boomers if they are having trouble setting up something on a computer, etc.

By that logic, the term "faggot" is fine

Depending on the context, yes.

Well, to my mind, the question of how people behave in debates on the forum directly affects the ability to have enjoyable conversations about the game itself, so I don't see it as entirely separate or trivial (except insofar as any debate on a CRPG forum is pretty trivial.) I did suggest earlier that we just drop it, but the other guys seem to want to revisit the points, and I don't mind responding to those arguments (particularly when some of them come from a Larian representative.)

I was trying to point out that it is possible, and even desirable, to avoid interpreting everything in the least charitable way, in an effort to encourage actual debate / discussion.

Raze #657406 29/11/19 07:57 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Raze
The meaning of the word is not restricted to just a specific generation, and calling someone a boomer is not always an attack that requires a fainting couch. People can call themselves boomers if they are having trouble setting up something on a computer, etc.

Lol. I can assure you that my response to someone telling me “OK Boomer” would not involve an attack of the vapours and fanning myself with a handkerchief. But, the response it warrants wouldn’t really fly by forum rules, so I can only attempt to explain the case for objection. With regard to what people call themselves, I'd say there is a pretty major difference between someone saying, "Oh, I'm a silly old fool," and someone else dismissing them on the same basis.

Originally Posted by Raze
"By that logic, the term "faggot" is fine." Depending on the context, yes.

Well, the context in question is this forum. I’m assuming that’s not acceptable here? But I think you’ve again missed the point. I make the comparison, because you suggested that the term “OK Boomer” is often not directed at someone actually of that generation. But, if you think about it for two seconds, even if you address the term to someone who is not a Boomer, or not gay, it only makes sense because of the negative stereotype implied, which remains pretty obnoxious.

I don't mind letting this strand of the thread go, but I will answer you if you carry on rationalising and attempting to dismiss the argument by portraying those irritated by such an attitude as less than charitable and in need of a “fainting couch”. I see why you might sympathise with the poster, coming from a similar school of argumentation.

Last edited by Kaspar; 29/11/19 10:18 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
yeah the negative stereotype of someone who is set in his ways and refuses to to acknowledge the benefits of anyhting new.
Thats exactly the intention.

Just becuase its "negative" doesnt mean its insulting, like how "faggot" would be.

Kaspar #657422 30/11/19 01:01 PM
Support
Support
But, the response it warrants wouldn’t really fly by forum rules, so I can only attempt to explain the case for objection.

I fail see how it warrants much of a response at all.

Well, the context in question is this forum. I’m assuming that’s not acceptable here?

You used the word, so... I guess it is acceptable.
If it was used in reference to a specific person, what exactly would that do, except show the maturity (and possibly intelligence) level of the person using it? (rhetorical question)

I make the comparison, because you suggested that the term “OK Boomer” is often not directed at someone actually of that generation.

Which is an entirely accurate statement, used to argue that assuming the worst possible intent may not be accurate.
My first reply to this branch of the discussion was "I don't think that is how it was intended."

because of the negative stereotype implied, which remains pretty obnoxious.

Sticks and stones...
The term faggot is practically a term of endearment in Australia. You've completely ignored examples of 'boomer' being used in a friendly manner, dismissing those examples as just being about not applying to the actual boomer generation.

I will answer you if you carry on rationalising and attempting to dismiss the argument by portraying those irritated by such an attitude as less than charitable and in need of a “fainting couch”.

I am not rationalising, I am arguing a point. Disagreeing is not dismissing.

You are literally being less than charitable. That doesn't necessarily mean wrong, but there is no way you can claim you are being charitable and giving Sordak the benefit of the doubt about intent. There is also no way you took a reference to a fainting couch seriously.

You reacted to Sordak's post, and the discussion turned to the style and not the content (not a big deal 8 or 9 pages into a topic, but not exactly constructive).
IMO you overreacted, though who is more accurate in their interpretation of the post in question is ultimately irrelevant.
What is relevant is that you keyed in on certain phrases, which though they can be used with the intent you assumed, there are other, more common usages of those words and phrases with much less negative connotations.
I thought (in an apparently unreasonable bout of optimism) by pointing out these other usages, a reasonable person capable of self reflection could concede the possibility that maybe Sordak was not necessarily intending the worst possible meaning, even if that remained more likely than not, and discussion could return to anything else.

I see why you might sympathise with the poster, coming from a similar school of argumentation.

You know that third section of my post that you ignored? There was a reason I quoted both sentences, rather than just the second.
When you said "how people behave", were you only referring to how other people behave?

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

enthusiast
enthusiast
Doubt that they show gameplay but hopefully we get at least some Infos.

Last edited by Hawke; 17/01/20 01:29 AM.
addict
addict
Nice find, thanks for sharing.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
apprentice
apprentice
Hope to see gameplay. There aren't any industry events on the 27th AFAIK, and I think they'd drop gameplay at an event. Wouldn't we all shit if they just released the game lol

S
veteran
veteran
S
could be that they do some sort of dev diary, weve seen moton capture and music so maybe they talk about one aspect at a time like updating the negine or doing mocap or whatever

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Brent2410
Hope to see gameplay. There aren't any industry events on the 27th AFAIK, and I think they'd drop gameplay at an event. Wouldn't we all shit if they just released the game lol

PAX East starts on February 27th.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, there's a brilliant opportunity for Larian to prove me wrong as far as staying true to the core formula. Looking forward to the event!

addict
addict

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Lying Dandy
PAX East starts on February 27th.

Good looks, my bad.

old hand
old hand
I just searched Pax's Website now that their schedule is out and the only mention of Larian Studios is the Larian Product Manager at a panel on NPC relationships.

i'm starting to think this new info on Feb 27th has nothing to do with Pax East.

old hand
old hand
Altered Carbon Season 2 hits Feb 27th as well so a very interesting day

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Greg Tito confirmed that there was going to be new information, about BG3 around the Time of Pax East, on the D&D news today. As mentioned before Pax East starts on February 27th.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HedonisticAbnegateBibimbapM4xHeh

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 05/02/20 03:17 AM.
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard