Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
stranger
I would most likely start with a Human Druid, it's boring I know but I got a thing for druids :P

THEN, I would probably try a Dragonborn Paladin. I so very rarely play Paladins.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i honestly think human druid is the coolest way of doing a druid, play it celtic.
Elven druids are pretty lame

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
i honestly think human druid is the coolest way of doing a druid, play it celtic.
Elven druids are pretty lame

I think Firbolgs are the coolest way to play Druids, just ignore WotC's retconned 5e description of them that rips off the Wood Giants looks, and use the original one, big, red headed, Celtic looking quasi giants.

S
veteran
veteran
S
well yes, but were they ever playable before 5E? I mean you CAN play pretty much whatever, but Firbolg just arent something i consciously think about when i think "PC option"

stranger
stranger
My usual first 'go to' whenever starting a new rpg is some variation of a

Chaotic Sexy Drow Warrior/Rogue with a craving for obsidian.

addict
addict
Human swashbuckler and Drow assassin.

stranger
stranger
My usual, Elf Wizard.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I want to play a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special

Isn't sorcerer a bit underpowered in 5e? Specially regarding archetypes?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danielbda

Don't know, but a Dragonborn Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline.) I can be a half and half dragon type. Gold and Blue. Fire Breath and Lightning Breath, Plus I will get wings. grin [ I play for the Roleplay. ]

stranger
stranger

Sorcerer is a great blaster/nuker in 5e and they can be built for buff/control too. Unlike 3.5e Sorcerers are the only ones with access to metamagic, so they know fewer spells but they can cast them better, and also they can create spell slots on the fly with a special resource (which they also use to fuel metamagic), so they are much more flexible than Wizards. Wizards will eventually know more spells but they are locked into what they can prepare and can't get slots back without resting, though they have some strong subclasses too. Dragon Sorcerer is pretty strong for archetype and there were more released in Xanathar's Guide to Everything that are really powerful (Shadow Sorcery and Divine Soul, also Storm Sorcery but it's kind of meh).

Last edited by vometia; 29/07/19 03:28 AM. Reason: formatting
enthusiast
enthusiast
Moon Elf: Fighter or
Tiefling Rogue or
Tiefling/Yuan-Ti(pls Larian give us the most interesting evil race in DND) Warlock
Human Cleric

Sadly 5e doesn't have any interesting classes like Pathfinder's Magus or Inquisitor

Last edited by Hawke; 01/08/19 12:08 AM.
stranger
stranger
Half-elf Bard, College of Lore. They'll be focused mainly on support, and being the face of the party.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Hawke
Moon Elf: Fighter or
Tiefling Rogue or
Tiefling/Yuan-Ti(pls Larian give us the most interesting evil race in DND) Warlock
Human Cleric

Sadly 5e doesn't have any interesting classes like Pathfinder's Magus or Inquisitor

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer-returns

IMHO the Artificer Battlesmith is a lot more interesting and better made then the Magus.

Also you have Bladesinger Wizards and Eldrich Knights and College of Valour Bards and College of Blades Bards and perhaps most unique of all the Hexblade Warlock for Gish builds.

Also multiclassing works better in 5e IMHO then pathfinder, so multiclass fighter/wizard works well enough to build a Arcane half caster.

For an Inquistor like Character you have Avenger Paladins, Inquisitive Rogues with Ritual Caster: Cleric feat, Celestial Pact Bladelock, a cleverly built Divine Soul Sorcerer.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by don_quick_oats

Sorcerer is a great blaster/nuker in 5e and they can be built for buff/control too. Unlike 3.5e Sorcerers are the only ones with access to metamagic, so they know fewer spells but they can cast them better, and also they can create spell slots on the fly with a special resource (which they also use to fuel metamagic), so they are much more flexible than Wizards. Wizards will eventually know more spells but they are locked into what they can prepare and can't get slots back without resting, though they have some strong subclasses too. Dragon Sorcerer is pretty strong for archetype and there were more released in Xanathar's Guide to Everything that are really powerful (Shadow Sorcery and Divine Soul, also Storm Sorcery but it's kind of meh).

Storm Sorcerer combos really well with the spell Thunder Step. The cool thing about Sorcerer subclasses is that they feel like seperate classes with a common spellcasting mechanics. The Divine Soul is a great alternative to a cleric and people seem to view Divine Souls more as Clerics then Sorcerers in the fluff, and the Shadow Sorcerer is likely IMHO the most powerful subclass in the game.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 01/08/19 09:28 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

No, the main complaint about sorcerers is there lower Spells known list which is 15-16 spells by level 20 depending on subclass. But between Metamagic and the ability to get an enhanced effect from casting spells in a higher spell slot it's functional more spells then it seems like.

For example a Divine Soul Sorcerer (who can chose from cleric spells as well as Sorcerer spells for spells known) can cast Cure Wounds in every single spell level, each higher slot used heals more damage, so in 3.5e terms that is like having Cure light wounds, Cure moderate wounds, Cure Sever Wounds, and more. It's the equivilant of have 9 healing spells. Then you add in Metamagic, so you can cast for example 1st level Distant Spell Cure Woubds, 2nd Level Dosint Spell Cure Wounds, ect..., as well as Twin Spell and Sublte Spell metamagic versions, as well as Empowered Healing (technically not metamagic, but works simularly). And you can do this most damage spells as well, like Guided Bolt, Chromatic Orb, Fireball, ect..., and various other spells, like Command spell targets an extra target for each higher spell level of the slot used, by using a 6th level Major Illusion becames functionally Permanent Illusion, and add in either Subtle Spell or Distant Spell metamagic makes it even more interesting.

Plus a bunch of at will cantrips that you can apply metamagic to.

If that is not enough you have subclass based magical powers, such as Shadow Magic's at will 120' bonus action teleporting, Hound of I'll Omen, and Shadow Form, the Divine Soul and Dragon Blooded's at will wings, Storm Sorcerers at will Flight, and so on.

And if THAT isn't enough you can get more spells via feats, like Ritual Caster: Wizard allows you to get the Wizards ritual spells (15 spells) in a ritual book, which you can apply metamagic too, Magic Inniate, certain Racial Feats, multiclassing, and certain races inniate magic.

stranger
stranger
Probably going to go Drow Archfey warlock. But if kobolds make it in, which I doubt, kobold barbarian, purely because kobolds are such a hiliariously bad fit for barbarians.

stranger
stranger
100% an Aarakocra or Kenku. I will be inconsolable if there are no avian races available - either one is fine. I just need an avian race in a CRPG already, damnit. Kenku especially are my favourite race - if they can't make 'em playable due to the mimicry restriction, at least having one as a party member would be reasonable.

Otherwise, dragonborn and kobolds are pretty great. I just sincerely hope we aren't given only PHB races to work with. Sick to death of the Tolkien dwarves, elves, halflings, etc. at this point.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KenkuWizard
100% an Aarakocra or Kenku. I will be inconsolable if there are no avian races available - either one is fine. I just need an avian race in a CRPG already, damnit. Kenku especially are my favourite race - if they can't make 'em playable due to the mimicry restriction, at least having one as a party member would be reasonable.

Otherwise, dragonborn and kobolds are pretty great. I just sincerely hope we aren't given only PHB races to work with. Sick to death of the Tolkien dwarves, elves, halflings, etc. at this point.

Aarakocra have nearly no chance of being in the game because of their ability to fly which would break any video game. Kenku have are probably too much work for such an unimportant race that doesn't belong to the Baldurs Gate.
I would prefer to have fewer races but the choice of race should matter in dialogue instead of having 20 races that have of effect on story or dialogue.

Last edited by Hawke; 07/11/19 08:00 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Kenku got featured in the fluff a bit more recently, but form this discussion id say, people, contain your hype. youll get disappointed.

PHB already has tons of race options (tho most of them boring, admittedly) that all need graphics support. i dont see Volos guide characters anytime soon.
Same goes for anything unearthed arcana related.
If you dont want to get burned, probablyl think about it from a framework of PHB only.
And even then, i wouldnt be holding my breath for dragonborn either...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard