Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What Spells do you hope are in the game?

Magnificent Masion, Conjure Celestial, Summon Demon, Infernal Calling, True Polymorph, Wish (confirmed), Spirit Guardians, Create Undead, Illusionary Dragon, Mighty Fortress, Temple of the Gods, Ceremony, Command, Conjure Fey, Shadow Blade, Booming Blade, Phantom Steed.

addict
addict
All of them.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
veteran
veteran
Time Stop, Horrid Wilting, Chaos Bolt, Maddening Darkness, Shadow of Moil - (implosion, searing light)

addict
addict
"Wish" is confirmed? Very cool! The mage spell list always feels somehow unfinished in games without Wish. I liked the idea of uncertainty for Wish in BG II, but I would have preferred a higher probability of the "safe" options. Even with 18+ wisdom it was too dicey. Did 5E get rid of "Limited Wish"? That's another one that should come back, or call it something else like "Distort Reality" or whatever.

apprentice
apprentice
Everything available in the 5th edition Player's Handbook.

Last edited by Lemernis; 14/07/19 05:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argyle
"Wish" is confirmed? Very cool! The mage spell list always feels somehow unfinished in games without Wish. I liked the idea of uncertainty for Wish in BG II, but I would have preferred a higher probability of the "safe" options. Even with 18+ wisdom it was too dicey. Did 5E get rid of "Limited Wish"? That's another one that should come back, or call it something else like "Distort Reality" or whatever.

Yes, also"magic missile" and some other stuff. They hinted that some high level spells were banned.
https://kotaku.com/the-ranger-class-is-getting-some-changes-in-d-d-and-ba-1835659585
In this podcast they also semi-confirmed the wish spell but also stated that some spells were banned. They use a three-color-coded list of spells. Green are nicked! like magic missile. Red are "never gonna happen". He didn´t enter into specifics but they said that is High level stuff. 38.20 Wish is accepted because he has their role in storytelling.

I hope they still have the Arcane Hand/Bigby´s hand. I loved that kind of spells and the feel of using a big magical hand to poke your enemies. Also I liked the contingency, blade barrier, black tentacles, web, bones of the earth, the entangle/vines spells, insect plague and the summoning spells (Summon fay, dust devil and summon elemental sounds nice).

I hope they ban or nerf ( I know it is an unpopular opinion) spells like commune with nature, fabricate, detect traps, or knock because that makes class skills irrelevant. Why bother to learn your skills as a ranger or rogue if you can make it (better) with a spell, a scroll of a wand?

Last edited by _Vic_; 15/07/19 07:12 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
What spells do you think they made red? My guess is Astral Projection.

veteran
veteran
Ed: That is a good one. OP but also has a very complicated implementation. I didn´t know about the spell but it has great potential the thing about take all your party to the ethereal plane. It is much cooler than "Ethereal jaunt".
https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/astral-projection

My bet is for the insta-kill spells to go "red" (wail of the banshee, finger of death, slay living, circle of death. PW: kill, desintegrate,...). It is notorious the lack of that kind of skills in larian´s games, sadly.

Ed: Also I forgot before ( I suppose paladin and ranger spells also apply isnt´t it?): Bless/banish/ Holy weapon, Zone of truth, compelled duel, crusader´s mantle and the Auras.

Also Wrath of nature, speak with animals/plants, alarm, steel wind strike, Hunter senses...

Last edited by _Vic_; 15/07/19 07:28 AM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard