Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I wonder if food-drink-stress mechanics will make it to the game, considering a number of spells, incl ritual spells, are dedicated to nourishment.

L
addict
addict
L
Apart from the exhaustion mechanic I don't think the game will be a 'survival simulation'. I don't think we will micro manage temperature, food, water etc.

veteran
veteran
Camping mechanics like the ones in Pathfinder would be nice, nonetheless. =)

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by LostSoul
Apart from the exhaustion mechanic I don't think the game will be a 'survival simulation'. I don't think we will micro manage temperature, food, water etc.

There would be no such thing as "micromanagement" courtesy of spells like "create food and water".

S
veteran
veteran
S
Food and drink tends to be more of a hassle than a mechanic.
But i would like making journeys feel like a journey, an investmnet, having to pack stuff, having to bring supplies, making the journey itself an adventure.
but thats more suited to open world survival games.
Cant realy think of many games that do it well, i guess mostly those survival crafting games like conan exiles have a grip on that

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Darkest Dungeon.

apprentice
apprentice
Personally I think something Ike this would be interesting to add to a CRPG, and depending on how it is implemented could add some fun dimensions to overall quest strategy. But no way do I see it happening for a game this big. Just exhaustion if anything is featured in this area, as LostSoul mentioned.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Darkest Dungeon does it well, but its not a full RPG

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
Darkest Dungeon does it well, but its not a full RPG

Indeed, it's a roguelike.

S
veteran
veteran
S
its not even a roguelike, its a rogue-lite if anything.
Its a unique genre, i like the game, but comparing it to a CRPG is disingenuous.

Especialy since in Darkest Dungoens, the mechanics are highly abstracted because they exist in a vacuum, theres nothing outside of the dungeon crawls, so making systems like that is much easier

L
addict
addict
L
If we need to have so many meals and water per day of travel. Plus pack thermals for cold travel. Etc etc. Then make it optional. But I still don't think it will be like that.

apprentice
apprentice
As a general rule, when I DM I don't enforce this too strictly, but it's all contextual. All my inns include food and drink with the price of the room for the duration of their stay. If they enter a desert without any water or rations, they had better hope for decent survival rolls. If the barbarian insists on his loincloth being sufficient before traversing a mountain range, he may lose an inch or two off some of his favorite things to frostbite. If they're in a decently fertile, tame area, I'll let the ranger wake up early and hunt for the party, taking a 20, but all of this is usually just for roleplay flavor (pun?). Often, these things don't translate well to games without becoming burdensome to the experience in a bad way. Personally, when I sit down to play an RPG that isn't specifically designated as a survival game, I don't want to have to worry about that stuff. At most, if food/drink requirements are included in BG3, they should be an option - not something everyone is stuck with.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't really want to see a detailed survival mechanism. The game could prompt the player to buy rations and camping equipment before a trip and then you arrive at the destination with the rations consumed.

What I really don't want to see is the ridiculous travel mechanism from the original games. Nobody walks for six days without rest, but that's the assumption built in to the Infinity Engine. It still ticks me off when my party has to sleep at the entrance to Dragon's Eye.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard