Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#654103 15/07/19 07:51 PM
rami Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi,

Will for BG3 return our Hero-Composers from the old games? (Inon Zur,Michael Hoenig and the other guys name ive forgotten now sorry)

In Baldur's Gate the Soundtrack was always very important for immserion and the called composers did their job perfect, for me the Baldurs Gate Soundtrack count to the best of PC game history, the music standalone of BG always open a whole world.

I started playing Divinity Original 2, have not seen much, our Party is lvl 9. The soundtrack is nice untill now, but for me it isnt expressive and dynamic und unique like BG1/2 Soundtracks.

For example in BG1 that song "Ever Deeper" ... you can ask everyone what it sounds like... everyone would say clearly that it exactly like a deep mysterious hole..
Or in BG Throne of Bhaal that crazy epic last fight music with amelissan .... damn soo good Inon Zur! Or the "End Of The Saga" track which brings me always a tear..i could continue that the whole day laugh

I really wish BG3 soundtrack will perform on same level and have that special BG-spice cool

EDIT: I found some videos with music that fits very good to Baldurs Gate! I think this music is called "Two Steps from Hell"

Shadow Dragon epic music
Firkraag fight with epic music

And found more very cool remix of BG1 Theme from a guy called Scott Buckley!

Last edited by rami; 15/07/19 10:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
What about Jeremy Soule?

rami Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
What about Jeremy Soule?
Yes!! Yes, that name is what I meant with forgotton -sorry. He did Icewind Dale too... Targos Theme so beautifull!! I feel ashamed now frown

S
veteran
veteran
S
Im kind of bummed out by video game soundtracks getting increasingly worse over time.
Very rareley do you get songs with a good chorus or generally some lyrics.

im not even a big fan of the OS2 soundtrack compared to OS1 (understandably, its not like they had a choice in the matter, but Dance of Death is still a great very unique combat theme)

Jeremy Soule also gets worse, his last good piece of work was the Skyrim OST, and not even all of that.

Baldurs gate indeed had pretty good music, even tho some of it was a bit on the boring side. Mostly i dislike too ambient sounding stuff.
Spellforce, now that had some great OST.

apprentice
apprentice
Jeremy Soule has already done music for quite a few D&D games (Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance), that really helps capture the feel of the Forgotten Realms in my opinion.

BG Dark Alliance
Elfsong Tavern

Icewind Dale
Kuldahar , Lonelywood , Easthaven

It would be terrific if he were to do the music for the new BG game, but he likely isn't cheap to get. I'm guessing it will likely be the composer of DOS2, which is perfectly fine, the music of DOS2 was fairly good. Just hopefully in that case it will be distinct and fitting for the Forgotten Realms. Whatever it is, I hope it's loads of ambient tracks that would be great to use in tabletop campaigns. :P

Last edited by deserk; 17/07/19 12:22 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
What about Jeremy Soule?

I much prefer inon zur than jeremy soule personally. also not sure if Michael Hoenig still composing?

there also some very good ones.. maybe Larian can check out brunuhville

Last edited by Archaven; 17/07/19 08:44 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
What about Jeremy Soule?

I much prefer inon zur than jeremy soule personally. also not sure if Michael Hoenig still composing?

there also some very good ones.. maybe Larian can check out brunuhville

BLASPHEMY!

stranger
stranger
I loved the music in Baldur's Gate II, especially those in Athkatla districts. I expect nothing less from BG3.
Registered just to say this :)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by rami
Hi,

Will for BG3 return our Hero-Composers from the old games? (Inon Zur,Michael Hoenig and the other guys name ive forgotten now sorry)

Good Lord, I hope not! With the exception of a precious few tracks most of their music is absolute garbage. Jeremy Soule was a decent composer for IWD1 and 2 though. Get someone from the British Isles or Ireland to compose instead. I think the developers of Bard's Tale hired a few people from Scotland to give their soundtrack a folkish flair.

Last edited by korotama; 08/01/20 07:57 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Borislav Slavov remains the main composer in Larian, so i guess he will be the head of upcoming soundtrack, which is nothing wrong because he's a great composer and i am sure he will create a breathtaking songs for BG 3 universe.

I liked a lot his soundtracks to Crysis games and D:OS 2, of course D:OS 2 soundtrack is different than BG 1 and BG 2 because Divinity franchise requires this, but while composing for BG 3 he's gonna surely catch the spirit of previous BG games.

Lets just wait and see how it goes smile

You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated - Maya Angelou
stranger
stranger
I quite like Robert Euvino, but not sure he's a good match for BG to be honest. Looking through his Stronghold soundtracks he makes a lot of beautiful songs.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by BananowePole
Borislav Slavov remains the main composer in Larian, so i guess he will be the head of upcoming soundtrack, which is nothing wrong because he's a great composer and i am sure he will create a breathtaking songs for BG 3 universe.

I'm very impressed by him. I was sceptical at first: how could anybody replace Kirill? Obvious answer is obvious, which is by not trying to replace Kirill: Borislav is Borislav and he's his own thing; he made several nods to Kirill, I think, but he created his own atmospheric and evocative music. I admit I haven't heard other examples of his compositions but based on DOS2 alone I think he's a safe pair of hands.

J'aime le fromage.
I like Matt Uelmen Diablo 2 score. That guitar sound is atmospheric.

V
stranger
stranger
V
from all the BGM already released in early access, I get the feeling that it was composed same comoser of FFXIV, 植松 伸夫(Nobuo Uematsu) or 祖堅 正慶(Masayoshi Soken)

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
A part from the character creation song I really like the soundtrack so far.

I like the soundtrack for BG3, they are very energetic compared to the US composers you are thinking about OP. The Belgian influence is beautiful, and I've really loved every single track in chapter 1 <3!

You might be interested in this amazing video, "Symphony of Sin," from 2 days ago featuring Borislav Slavov's music for "Baldur's Gate 3" and "Divinity: Original Sin 2", performed live in Poland: https://youtu.be/3duWZPJm-9s?t=5915 (link goes to the BG3 music).

enthusiast
enthusiast
The current music is not bad but I find it to be extremely uninspired and reliant on the same tricks that a lot of recent orchestral VG music does. Outward has some of the most memorable music in recent times for me as far as video games are concerned(with Ori coming in behind that) because it throws these conventions out and explores new avenues. What music is available reflects culture and helps characterize areas, cities and people and I would like to see more that in high fantasy titles.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by cyseal
I like Matt Uelmen Diablo 2 score. That guitar sound is atmospheric.

Oh my god, yes! Some of the most memorable game music for sure.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Argonaut
The current music is not bad but I find it to be extremely uninspired and reliant on the same tricks that a lot of recent orchestral VG music does. Outward has some of the most memorable music in recent times for me as far as video games are concerned(with Ori coming in behind that) because it throws these conventions out and explores new avenues. What music is available reflects culture and helps characterize areas, cities and people and I would like to see more that in high fantasy titles.

BG3 music is phenomenal. Not only much better than the traditional BG1/2 or the comic overtones of DOS2 (which suited that game), but one of the best soundtracks in games in general.

BG3 soundtrack is multilayered, dynamic and complex. Reminds me of other brilliant soundtrack: Shadow of the Colossus.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 19/10/20 01:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard