Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by BillyYank
It's not like sexualized armor is unrealistic.

[Linked Image]

I don't like armored bikinis because they're stupid. Boobplate is fine though, we probably would have had that in the real world if we'd had a society with a large number of women in the fighting nobility.

I so want this item in the game.

apprentice
apprentice
I know, right. It's ridiculous, over-the-top, and historically accurate. And that's one of the tame ones. There's examples that are longer, that curve up like a coat hook and even some that have a face sculpted into the tip.

It's hard to believe these haven't been used in a game yet.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
stranger
stranger
It's hard to believe noone's yet brought this up..

[Linked Image]

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Golden_Pantaloons

Or did I miss it?

Haran Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It's still at the top of the page! XD
That's good, it means people are taking note of the issue.
Re dong armor: Those were made for kings and such to show off. Soldiers that needed practical armor wouldn't have them. Regardless of historical accuracy, it would be pretty funny to see such armor in a game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well if you want dong armor, we can have boob armor. End of thread. silly

veteran
veteran
Hey, at least it is not this thread in the RPG codex that is all about actually discussing boob sizes (They called it RTwB as is real time with b...s)

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...urs-gate-3-has-big-anime-tiddies.128033/

stranger
stranger
Which game does Larian want to sell like?

[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hamster_Baller

[Linked Image]

You make an excellent point, those who complain about chain mail bikinis make up a tiny part of the market. Also look at the successful fundraising for Subverse by FOW Studios and their RPG.

apprentice
apprentice
I must be dense, I don't see anything wrong with either of those costumes.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
Support
Support

There is a bit of a difference with the appearance and animation in general, though...

S
veteran
veteran
S
I think the argument beeing made here is that Witcher (well, CDPR, you get my point) creates its characters without having any deliberate intent in mind, the female characters are ofthen beautifull (at least the young, plot related, magically gifted ones) and dressed in a good balance of fitting in with the setting and beeing beautifull.

Meanwhile Mass effect andromeda was generaly shat on for making its characters deliberatley ugly, to the point where the main female character used int he marketing, looked significantly less attractive than the voice actor whom the character was supposedly based on.
Much the same problem happend in the prior game of Bioware, Dragon Age Inquisition where all the female characters looked unattractive, while all the male character had male model faces.

Wiht mass effect andromeda, the effect is heightened by the game, allegedly, beeing made by a skeleton staff of bioware developers and a cadre of inexpirienced graduates, which leads to very janky and awkward looking animations, and overall bad looking designs, such as the eyes not having shadows and other such oversights.
It didnt help that there was then an Interview in which it was deflected that the bad animations were "deliberate" or something, i forgot what the exact wording was, but it was a pretty lame copout.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak
Much the same problem happend in the prior game of Bioware, Dragon Age Inquisition where all the female characters looked unattractive

While attractiveness is largely subjective, I'm left wondering how come e.g. Sera was shown wearing make-up even in the fairly late promo stuff but before release it'd been removed. I added it back again but it seemed a bit incongruous. It's also curious how she looks quite similar to her voice actress only... well, something got lost in translation.

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
while attractiveness is certainly subjective,theres a few things that, lets say in the general western world is considered attractive.

For women it is ofthen large eyes, oval faces, femine hairstyles, a beautifull smile, a button nose.
Whats generaly not considered attractive are dumpy faces, wide noses, manly jaw lines or small beady eyes.

And you might say ok, maybe the developers didnt know any better, but then why do all the male characters have that generic male model look? with pronouned cheekbones, a pronounced jawline , masculin chins, straight noses (besides the dwarf, obviously) and beard stubble that was common at the time before hipstes became truly cool.

Its funny how conventional aestheitcs of western beauty were applied to one gender, while the female characters all went "unconventional", to say the least, i personally would only consider cassandra an attractive woman out of the party characters, and shes a quite masculine tomboy, while the only two truly conventionally attractive characters, are those two that come from the first dragon age game and had an established look already.

Theres also some more subtle things especialy in Mass Effect Andromeda.
I dont have the image anymore, but in mass effect 1 and 2 at least, the Human models had slightly exagrated proportions.
Generaly, the normal proportions of a Human are considered 7.5 heads / body height.
In short, if you stack 7.5 heads of the character, it should be about the height of the figure.

In Media, 8 heads are commonly used, this is kind of an "Idealized" image of the Human Body (super hero comics ofthen use 8.5 to realy exagrate proportions).
The older Mass Effect Models used idealized proportions for the Human models, kind of 8 heads tall.
While Andromeda had about 7 heads, making the Human models look stunted and Childlike looking in comparison to the athletic imposing figures usually used in idealized art.

Anohter strange one that makes you scratch your head is that Mass Effect Andromeda, on launch, didnt let you pick light skin colours during character creation, for no apparent reason. The lightest you could do was an obvious tan.
Its just strange stuff like that that realy makes you question the art design of that studio

EDIT: i actually found the image on Reddit, so you can see for yourself.
now, some people might make the argument that the image on the right is more realistic, i counter that, that realism is filtered through the lense of the Human brain, and that Unrealistic images can ofthen come closer to the "Feel" of the real thing, than a realistic depiction.

[img]http://external-preview.redd.it/r5s...a26d13e89c23f4fc9a91cc384931f12d2b56eb17[/img]

Last edited by Sordak; 26/08/19 10:14 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Mostly I agree, though it comes down to the complete look: sometimes when everything is idealised the result can be rather bland. And I often prefer shorter hair on other women but that's the subjective element, I suppose. In general terms I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying though.

Interesting picture. Actually now that I think about it, Shepard (male and female) always seemed unnaturally tall and heroic and were too exaggerated, but Andromeda went a bit too far the other way; indeed in that picture, if you look at where shorty's heels are he's only about 7 heads tall. Also at risk of opening a can of worms I recall that one of the developers was notoriously racist but I don't know if he had any influence over the choice of skin colours. I suspect it was more down to a lot of their team lacking experience and I think EA and/or Bioware had decided Andromeda was going to fail before it was even released so just left them to it rather than helping to give it some much-needed polish (which it gradually got anyway, albeit not quite enough).

J'aime le fromage.
Haran Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Sales are the result of many different variables, the main one being *how good the game actually is*. I predict BG3 will be a good game and will sell well. The sexiness of its characters will probably play an insignificant role in how well it sells. You can find games with pixel graphics being loved for their good gameplay, mechanics or story and selling tons of copies as a result, and on the other hand you can find games with hot babes in bikinis rendered with near-realistic precision ending up making making no profit at all and being disliked by players.

I'd rather my characters, be they male or female, look badass rather than sexy. It won't make any difference sales-wise. And if done well you guys won't even notice it.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Badass and sexy are not opposits.
and most of the time, unsexy character dont actually look badass, but they look silly.
That partly comes from the fact that the Human brain is hardwired to apply positive traits to beautifull people...

veteran
veteran

[Linked Image]

I don't like armored bikinis because they're stupid. Boobplate is fine though, we probably would have had that in the real world if we'd had a society with a large number of women in the fighting nobility.

That's not what people mean when they talk about sexualized armor. That armor at least has protective value. The actual sexualized male equivalent of that armor would consist ONLY of the codpiece and nothing else at all.

S
veteran
veteran
S
according to you.
You think a metal codpiece is particulary practical? while riding for example?
This is, at the very least, ont he level of the much dreaded "boobplate".

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Stabbey

That's not what people mean when they talk about sexualized armor. That armor at least has protective value. The actual sexualized male equivalent of that armor would consist ONLY of the codpiece and nothing else at all.

That's why I made the distinction between bikini armor and boob plate. The male equivalent to bikini armor is the fur loincloth / bare chest of the barbarian character. While I see boob plate as the female equivalent to dong armor. They're both fully protective suits of armor with exaggerated sexual characteristics molded into the outward appearance.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Hamster_Baller

[Linked Image]

Really ? You really think comparing a well funded game by an experienced team to an underfunded one partly made by interns is relevant ?
Frankly, you amaze me.

Dragon Age 1 had an half-naked character that you could litteraly fuck 2 minutes after she joined your group (Morrigan, and no one complained) and you still think the problem is that people want ugly non sexualized characters.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard