Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#654578 06/08/19 04:33 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I wonder if they will allow you to get to level 20? I guess it will depend on how much content and game play hours.

L
addict
addict
L
I was wondering the same thing.
But if we Can get to level 20 I want to enjoy the build before the game just ends.
Therefore it would be great to have a good amount of content available for max level characters (not just 1 boss fight).
Another option would be once the main story is finished you can still do some basic quests/ random dungeon encounters.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I would imagine if it does well (and it will lol) they would do an expansion

veteran
veteran
Maybe you will have your wish granted
SV: “That’s actually been one of the things that we’ve been struggling with, because it’s a very slow leveling process in the books,” he says. As D&D players will know, gaining ten or 12 levels on the tabletop is a journey that could last weeks, but for a videogame, it’s “not a lot.”

Nevertheless, Larian is making a D&D game. Therefore: “We wanted to stick to it. So we’re figuring out ways of letting you still feel that you’re progressing in a meaningful manner, but in a videogame manner.”

https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/leveling-system

Last edited by _Vic_; 09/08/19 08:06 PM.
stranger
stranger
It's difficult to know what that means thought. It could be regular power ups between true levels, or it could just mean they're making you level up faster. BG1 didn't let you get past... level 8? I seem to remember, it was 8.

addict
addict
Its likely that you will be able to get to level 20. BG1 and BG2 are based on AD&D, and BG3 will be based on 5e which has a faster levelling system.

I'm guessing if they've all played the BG games as was reported, then they played Throne of Bhaal in which your characters get to pretty high freakin levels.

Specifically thinking about the HLA's and some of the crazy spells/abilities characters get past a certain threshold.

What makes me optimistic is the stated hours for game length. If they had said 40-50 hours like most RPG's, I'd worry. 100+ hours is a good start.

Artagel #654665 11/08/19 02:56 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Artagel
I'm guessing if they've all played the BG games as was reported, then they played Throne of Bhaal in which your characters get to pretty high freakin levels.

Specifically thinking about the HLA's and some of the crazy spells/abilities characters get past a certain threshold.

What makes me optimistic is the stated hours for game length. If they had said 40-50 hours like most RPG's, I'd worry. 100+ hours is a good start.

Where did you read that https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/06/why-baldurs-gate-3-wont-be-a-google-stadia-exclusive
Swen says it will have 100h content,

Hawke #654670 11/08/19 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Hawke

Yea. That's literally where I read that.

Artagel #654721 15/08/19 01:12 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Artagel

Yea. That's literally where I read that.

It's rough estimate they also estimated 100h for DOS2 I think, but other people find it takes them much longer.

veteran
veteran
I think I spent 100 hours only in character creation laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
No idea why people play so slowly 100h is enough to play through DOS 2 nearly twice while doing all sidequests. Took me only 75h in the first run. I just hope the BG3 won't waste my time with grinding, boring fetch quests or other cheap boring filler content like other RPGs.

Last edited by Hawke; 15/08/19 01:53 AM.
veteran
veteran
Because people stop to talk to the NPCs and read the books?

Last edited by _Vic_; 15/08/19 02:28 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I prefer to immerse myself in the general vibe of the game rather than just racing through it. Sometimes I prefer uneventful treks through the countryside to fast-travelling as it may not be full of thrills but it's sort of meditative and paces the game a bit better.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Cause the RPG stands for "Role Playing Game" not "Race Playing Game" also people like to explore and see what secrets may be found.
horsey

old hand
old hand
There are other factors too. Different players need different amounts of time to get through challenges, combat and puzzles alike. And then in my case, if I get through a fight but I don't feel good about it, I would redo it, over and over if necessary, until I "feel good" about it. What could I have done better? What would have happened if I had tried this instead of that? This method is not very cool. That approach feels kinda like cheating. I have to kill this boss in a very specific manner, because I want to; if I fail, I reload. And so on. Unlike a friend of mine, he always says, "As long as I get through it, I don't care."

Last edited by Try2Handing; 15/08/19 10:57 AM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
stranger
stranger
I want epic levels! I want to kill gods and become a god! Well maybe in expansion sth like in NWN2: MotB...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mhroczyn
I want epic levels! I want to kill the gods and become a god! Well maybe in expansion sth like in NWN2: MotB...

I hate that part about RPGs especially in DND, I prefer grounded stories where the player is just a guy trying to survive in a dangerous world. I really hope that you are not some chosen one in BG3 but just a skilled adventurer or a guy who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time like in Divinity 2, where you only become a Dragon because you were simply the first guy the Talana found.(Divinity 2 still has the best story in the franchise!)

Last edited by Hawke; 08/09/19 12:02 PM.
Hawke #655331 08/09/19 07:23 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I hate that part about RPGs especially in DND, I prefer grounded stories where the player is just a guy trying to survive in a dangerous world. I really hope that you are not some chosen one in BG3 but just a skilled adventurer or a guy who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time like in Divinity 2, where you only become a Dragon because you were simply the first guy the Talana found.(Divinity 2 has the best story in the franchise!)

Same (well, on both points, ED/D2 is still my favourite of the series). I'm never really a fan of the whole chosen one, godlike sort of character, I'd rather just be me, bumbling about and discovering things. The more awesome my character becomes the less connected I feel to them, and once you end up with a TES-style head of every guild thrown in too it just makes the world feel a much smaller place.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
I hope BG3 is more like BG1. Start at level 1, go to about level 10 and leave the higher levels for BG4.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard