Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
So I played divinity original sin 2 and to me its amazing in every department, thats why I have faith u will make BG3 also splendid so this is just 1 suggestion.. In DOS2 I hate that I can immerse my self in only 1 character, what I mean by that is I can only interact with main character to others and other none main characters cant interact with each other when talking, so I can get in conversation between main and none main but when I try 2 none main they just say, - this is not the time for idle chit chat! which I cant understand why u choose that approach considering u also baked coop into the game.

SO PLEASE if u are going to go with BG3 as DOS2, please bake all characters so that they can talk and make relevant conversations with each other not just main character. This is especially noticeable when I play DOS2 with my brothers coz the one who isnt "the main char" feels left out.

Anything else about the game is as I said its amazing so I can imagine BG3 will be nothing less than DOS2 quality.

Good luck & keep up the good work!

Last edited by PeteRock; 04/10/19 08:43 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'd also add to move away from the cartoony characters to something a little more immersive of D&D. Something like Tolkien elves, humans, orcs etc. Wizards and rangers. I'm assuming with the title being BG it will fall in line with existing style but brought up to date of course.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Uh it appears that you didnt start playing OS2 with your other players from the start.

What you discribe only happens when you drop into an already ongoing game.
Any character with the "Avatar" tag is treated as the main character, that means any player that begins the campaign will be treated as the "main character"

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by WizardPus
I'd also add to move away from the cartoony characters to something a little more immersive of D&D. Something like Tolkien elves, humans, orcs etc. Wizards and rangers. I'm assuming with the title being BG it will fall in line with existing style but brought up to date of course.

cartoony characters? If u are referring to graphics than I think that Dos2 has solid art, for example Pillars of eternity turned me off with theirs graphics approach, IDK if its a good or bad game, thats just my taste, I cant stand to watch hours on end and be immersed with static drawing action, its just not my thing and thats why I choose Pathfinder:kingmaker over Pillars of eternity but if u are referring to character development its not that bad in Dos2 especially in todays standards where its a trend to just pump out a game without ANY story whatsoever..

Originally Posted by Sordak
Uh it appears that you didnt start playing OS2 with your other players from the start.

What you discribe only happens when you drop into an already ongoing game.
Any character with the "Avatar" tag is treated as the main character, that means any player that begins the campaign will be treated as the "main character"

IDK about DE version coz Im just planing to play it with one bro but earlier version we started the new game both with new chars and it didnt work so IDK how is the deal now, we have to try it, but this is just my precautious post to be sure (hopefully Larian will read this XD), all other stuff dont really bothers me and whatever they come up I really have faith that they will deliver. Also this will be my first entry in BG universe, I only heard Praises about previos games so to me it would be pointless to debate turn vs pause and such topics.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by PeteRock

cartoony characters? If u are referring to graphics than I think that Dos2 has solid art, for example Pillars of eternity turned me off with theirs graphics approach, IDK if its a good or bad game, thats just my taste, I cant stand to watch hours on end and be immersed with static drawing action, its just not my thing and thats why I choose Pathfinder:kingmaker over Pillars of eternity but if u are referring to character development its not that bad in Dos2 especially in todays standards where its a trend to just pump out a game without ANY story whatsoever..

I liked the art style in pathfinder, I too did not care for the art style of POE however I doubt BG will be like that. What I mean by cartoony, is that DOS2 art is almost a fantasy "parody". When I play D&D and picture elves, I think of those in LOTR movies, not tall weird shaped funny characters. I think a more serious tone with graphics that would fit in a LOTR or even GOT world would be very nice, especially since a game like BG to date does not have that.

No biggy though, just my style.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
[quote=WizardPus]I'd also add to move away from the cartoony characters to something a little more immersive of D&D. Something like Tolkien elves, humans, orcs etc. Wizards and rangers. I'm assuming with the title being BG it will fall in line with existing style but brought up to date of

I liked the art style in pathfinder, I too did not care for the art style of POE however I doubt BG will be like that. What I mean by cartoony, is that DOS2 art is almost a fantasy "parody". When I play D&D and picture elves, I think of those in LOTR movies, not tall weird shaped funny characters. I think a more serious tone with graphics that would fit in a LOTR or even GOT world would be very nice, especially since a game like BG to date does not have that.

No biggy though, just my style.

I saw that phrase in the forums a lot "fantasy parody" but I really dont know what it means exactly, but hey I like it both and wouldnt mind at all the majestic hair from Legolas so post a post maybe Larian will listen but I would say they will go that LOTR elf route or similar coz to me it seems that way from the trailer, the KIA knight felt more robust, a bit different art style than Dos2 in my opinion.

veteran
veteran
Yeah well for me the D:OS games really sucked - the story, the setting, the characters, the artwork, the writing - everything. And yes, the artwork is cartoony BS. By contrast, the PoE games and also P:K are my go-to games now. So I want BG3 to be as UNLIKE D:OS2 as possible, and keeping in mind that they are NOT making D:OS3 but rather a Baldur's Gate game! To make BG3 be effectively D:OS3 would be a shameful con-job, and I don't believe Swen Vincke is that sort of a person.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Yeah well for me the D:OS games really sucked - the story, the setting, the characters, the artwork, the writing - everything. And yes, the artwork is cartoony BS. By contrast, the PoE games and also P:K are my go-to games now. So I want BG3 to be as UNLIKE D:OS2 as possible, and keeping in mind that they are NOT making D:OS3 but rather a Baldur's Gate game! To make BG3 be effectively D:OS3 would be a shameful con-job, and I don't believe Swen Vincke is that sort of a person.

Everything? I think u should be more specific and not throwing words like that here coz yes I can understand that u dont like story, setting, chars, art, writing, thats preference/taste but I would not understand u if u also dont like all the systems and mechanics Dos2 offers and how the game works coz in that regard I only see quality, dedication and innovation from Larian and I bet BG3 will not be THAT different from Dos2 gameplay/mechanic wise and there will be little to none room to change that, maybe turn vs pause debate will decide the combat but other than that I dont see much of a chance to change things coz Larian probably has not that deep wallet.. As for story/setting and such yeah I believe u have the chance to change that so more power to ya, voice it up but uh.. PoE static art style.. That would be a no buy for me... I would rather buy D&D board game than play PoE honestly...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Everything? I think u should be more specific and not throwing words like that here coz yes I can understand that u dont like story, setting, chars, art, writing, thats preference/taste but I would not understand u if u also dont like all the systems and mechanics Dos2 offers and how the game works coz in that regard I only see quality, dedication and innovation from Larian and I bet BG3 will not be THAT different from Dos2 gameplay/mechanic wise and there will be little to none room to change that, maybe turn vs pause debate will decide the combat but other than that I dont see much of a chance to change things coz Larian probably has not that deep wallet.. As for story/setting and such yeah I believe u have the chance to change that so more power to ya, voice it up but uh.. PoE static art style.. That would be a no buy for me... I would rather buy D&D board game than play PoE honestly...

No I'm not going to be more specific because I have already done that in several different posts in different threads in this forum. This discussion is ultimately not about the D:OS games because, to repeat, Larian is NOT making D:OS3 here.

But the bottom line is that D&D 5e is night and day different in terms of gameplay and mechanics than D:OS systems. They are "similar" only in very superficial general ways like being TB, for example. So as long as BG3 is faithful to D&D 5e, then by definition it will NOT be anything like the D:OS games.

As for PoE art, it is 2D versus the 3D art of games like D:OS. I agree that 3D looks better overall than 2D, although even critics have agreed that despite being 2D PoE2's artwork is gorgeous. For me, if a studio has to cut back on something to meet their budget, then going to 2D art is exactly the sacrifice I would accept over sacrificing other areas of the game. Same thing with VO. Those are the things that are not that important in a cRPG, and can be sacrificed if necessary. And as such, to not play a game like PoE1/2 just because the artwork is 2D is just unthinkable for me as a diehard fan of classic RPGs.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yeah thats the problem, Im not a diehard fan and as I said BG3 will be my first game in the series if they go for 3D and I also didnt played D&D to understand the differences but this is more understandable than your previous post so I get it now what u want which is also fine but why would be unthinkable to prefer more a PC game to be a PC game than a spreadsheet with images(tabletop game)? If I wanted to play a tabletop game than I would rather buy a tabletop game. I dont feel immersed in that kind of art approach for a 60$ price but idk.. Eventually, at some point, MAYBE I will pick up PoE2: deadfire coz of the story smile

As for BG3 being d&d 5th edition? Did they said that that they will go for the 5th? I didnt hear it in the dev trailer.. so thats why I asummed they will mix and match.. If they are going for full d&d 5th edition rules hey I am up for that also as long as it is 3d :P laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes it uses 5th Edition D&D that is pretty much the only hard fact we have about the gameplay at the moment. The good thing is that there are currently at least 4 larger DND RPG in development so even if BG3 won't make everyone happy there are others. Though BG3 is the only one of those made by a studio with over 20 years of experience and a non-indie budget. BG3 will most likely be the one where people with no previous DnD experience will still be able to learn the system without being overwhelmed.

Last edited by Hawke; 08/10/19 06:55 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Hawke
Yes it uses 5th Edition D&D that is pretty much the only hard fact we have about the gameplay at the moment. The good thing is that there are currently at least 4 larger DND RPG in development so even if BH3 won't make everyone happy there are others. Though BG3 is the only one of those made by a studio with over 20 years of experience and a non-indie budget. BG3 will most likely be the one where people with no previous DnD experience will still be able to learn the system without being overwhelmed.
4 DND RPG,wow..So buddy, could you tell me which 4 games??? Thx

Last edited by vometia; 08/10/19 05:14 AM. Reason: formatting
veteran
veteran
Yes it uses 5th Edition D&D that is pretty much the only hard fact we have about the gameplay at the moment. The good thing is that there are currently at least 4 larger DND RPG in development so even if BH3 won't make everyone happy there are others. Though BG3 is the only one of those made by a studio with over 20 years of experience and a non-indie budget. BG3 will most likely be the one where people with no previous DnD experience will still be able to learn the system without being overwhelmed.

It's important to be clear and precise as to not breed misinterpretations and false expectations.

The initial starting point was the Player Handbook. Then to fit a video game medium, they've needed to take some creative liberations and choices to implement systems that for example removes the game master. So if you're expecting a 100% 5e to video game D&D experience, so I believe it's fair to recommend keeping a certain healthy dose of insight in what it takes to derive from one type of medium into another, even when the style itself is inherently similar in many ways. So some creative decisions and interpretations how to make something work for a video game while trying to stay true to what it's derived from in essence is inevitable. Some fans will misinterpret and/or be disappointed by how their expectations misalign with this reality.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by junislee
4 DND RPG,wow..So buddy, could you tell me which 4 games??? Thx

The game doesn't have a name yet it hasn't even been properly announced. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/aaa-d-d-co-op-action-rpg-by-tuque-mes.127289/

There are more than Solasta, Realms Beyond, BG3 and this unnamed one, according to WOTC there are 10 https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...deo-games-to-be-released-by-2020.119761/ Though most of them won't be bigger RPGs obviously.

Last edited by Hawke; 08/10/19 07:50 AM.
veteran
veteran
I don't think Solasta and Realms Beyond quite count. Their studios themselves have refrained from promoting their games as D&D games. I think that quote about ten or more upcoming D&D games includes games like Tales from Candlekeep and Warriors of Waterdeep which are not really RPGs, though the action game that Tuque Games is supposedly working on would count as an RPG.

Last edited by kanisatha; 08/10/19 05:12 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
I love the lack of understanding of art here.
Original Sin was cartoony but pathfinder kingmaker isnt?

MATE; the devs said, plainly, that they are basing their art off of Wayne Reynolds, an artist i very much like, but holy crap hes not realistic. This guy is known for his over the top poses, ridiculous levels of tacked on detail, oversized weapons and especialy his extremley stylized angular form of "realism".

You dont like OS , alright, you dont have to. But you dont know what you are talking about in this regard.

As for the amazing 2D art in PoE: yeah, because tracing photographs is so hard... so realistic.
I personally call it uninspired. But thats just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Sordak; 08/10/19 05:42 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I know Solasta is using the dnd 5.1 SRD ruleset. Even though not part of the Dungeon and Dragons universe, the game is still steep in the dnd 5e rules.

Realms Beyond says they are going to use the 3.5e SRD ruleset.
"Turn-based combat, featuring many favorite spells, feats and actions, based on rules described in the (3.5e) Revised System Reference Document (SRD) covered by the Open Game License v1.0a (OGL) by Wizards of the Coast, Inc"

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yes it uses 5th Edition D&D that is pretty much the only hard fact we have about the gameplay at the moment. The good thing is that there are currently at least 4 larger DND RPG in development so even if BG3 won't make everyone happy there are others. Though BG3 is the only one of those made by a studio with over 20 years of experience and a non-indie budget. BG3 will most likely be the one where people with no previous DnD experience will still be able to learn the system without being overwhelmed.

Awesome news to me! Well Idk about u guys but I have no expectations about the game as in I didnt played BG series and Im not hardcore fan of d&d so I dont have anything at stake here but I like RPGs in general so I believe that Larian cant fuk up big time, I mean they cant go wrong as fallout 76 disaster or similar poop right? And that is enough for me to believe that they will deliver, now if Im nitpicky if they go for TBC Im fine, thats familiar to me but if the go for RTWP I liked more P:K than PoE (idk why and dont ask me why coz I dont really know the exact differences, to me makes more sense and P:K is more appealing) so essentially The Composer composed it well so what he said smile

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard