Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reshy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
...Turned into a dragon? Seriously, as far as I've seen this power of hers is completely unexplained in the setting and nobody seems to acknowledge it's presence at all. Maybe I am just missing something that you only get if you get her to flee the two times at the start, but it's pulled out in the second phase of the final fight assuming Dallis is still standing at that point and it's just... never explained it just is... I know for a fact she's no dragon knight, and I'm fairly certain it's not one of the powers her race has either as the other members of it you encounter don't possess that ability. It's not a talent possessed by the cloaked figure, so he couldn't have taught her (And is turning into a dragon really something that can *be* taught?). As far as I can tell it's just inexplicably there, and I'm scratching my head as to why that decision was made despite the kind of connotations dragons have in the setting.

Support
Support

Dragon knights are taught how to turn into a dragon, or at least given that ability.

Support
Support

One of the scripters says the concept was a shapeshifting / polymorph ability, not directly dragon knight related (that anyone there recalls). At one point there was an idea to have her drop a dragon version of a shapeshifting mask, but that never got implemented.

veteran
veteran
Larian doesn't usually bother trying to explain the rules or limitations of magic in their games.

Reshy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze

One of the scripters says the concept was a shapeshifting / polymorph ability, not directly dragon knight related (that anyone there recalls). At one point there was an idea to have her drop a dragon version of a shapeshifting mask, but that never got implemented.

So it sounds like a holdover idea then that was left in? I noticed the model looks nigh identical to Slane's so it does seem to be a case of reused assets (unless it's implied that she killed Slane and made the mask with it, but that wouldn't explain the fort joy version).

Support
Support

No, the dragon form was in from the early design, at least as a fallback if players avoided the initial encounter at the Fort Joy gate, came back later and were able to defeat Dallis or Alexandar (IIRC the designers wanted something more than just teleporting away). It was just dropping a shapeshifting mask that was never implemented (it would only be available very late in the game, and then only if choosing dialogue options so Dallis was hostile in the final fight).

Dallis had plenty of time in charge of an organisation doing research into magic, source and powerful artefacts, so even if she didn't know how to shapeshift into a dragon as an eternal, could reasonably have discovered this during the course of her other activities.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard