Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Why will this game be called Baldur's Gate 3? There are so many DnD games and there are two Dark Alliance games set in the Baldur's Gate setting.

Siege of Dragonspear was made to be a part of the Bhaalspawn story, but as that story ended in Throne of Bhaal, I don't see how this new can can work as a sequel. It is different for Neverwinter Nights, because the games and the official campaigns have little to do with each other, except for some times being set in or around Neverwinter.

Maybe this would be easier if the Baldur's Gate series had had a different name, such as Child of Bhaal or smthn.

My suspicion is that this will be a feel like a DnD game made by Larian that happens to be set in Baldur's Gate, and that it will have more in common with Divinity than the Baldur's Gate series. What exactly does Larian gain by switching IPs?

It feels like they're just trying to take advantage of Baldur's Gate legendary status.

The game will probably be pretty good, so I don't know why I am being so negative. It just bugs me. Couldn't they call it Baldur's Gate: Everything is Interactive or Baldur's Gate: 3D or something?

veteran
veteran
A lot of what Larian does from my experience and observations, has a tradition to boil down to "Because they want to / they can/think it's a fun idea."

They're huge D&D nerds and Baldur's Gate fans the lot of them. If you were put in their shoes, would you live with yourself if you didn't take that opportunity? wink

S
veteran
veteran
S
you answered your question yourself.
Why is dark alliance caleld baldurs gate?
Because its set in baldurs gate. easy.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Sordak
you answered your question yourself.
Why is dark alliance caleld baldurs gate?
Because its set in baldurs gate. easy.

Yes, but this game is called "Baldur's Gate: 3." If it dropped the numeral or called itself Baldur's Gate: 5, then it would seem like a sequel to any particular Baldur's Gate game.

It's as if someone created a movie called Alien 4. People would interpret that as a direct sequel to Alien, Aliens and Alien 3. It wouldn't just be one of the many movies in the now pretty big Alien franchise.

I look at it is like this. DnD is a thing. Baldur's Gate is a sub-thing of that. And then the Baldur's Gate series created by Bioware is a sub-thing of that again. Calling your game Baldur's Gate: 3 implies that it is not only a DnD game and a Baldur's Gate game, but that it is part of the Baldur's Gate series that Bioware originally created.

With some many DnD games on the PC and so many Baldur's Gate clones that are not under the DnD license, how is this going to feel more like a successor to Bioware's Baldur's Gate series than so many other RPGs? The Divinity games are clearly inspired by Baldur's Gate, but they don't carry the name.

Last edited by Moon Logic; 05/11/19 12:01 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think Star Wars 7-9 is a part of the Star Wars universe, even though George Lucas isn't directly involved anymore, and the IP has changed owners since the originals.

It's a successor because it's a successor, set in the same universe. There was a tabletop module of some kind that came out recently, I believe BG3 takes place about 100 years after that. So yes, it's directly tied into the Baldur's Gate 1, 2, and what ever else timelines, because... It's Baldur's Gate. If they'd call it something else, it wouldn't be Baldur's Gate. It'd be a rip-off. That's why they acquired the IP.

Also, if games shouldn't be made because they're inspired by something, we won't get any more games, movies, tv series, or songs anymore. Everything is inspired by something. No creative work really comes from a blank slate. Eventually, when a "style" becomes popular enough to inspire other games, they become what we call a 'Genre'. Rogue-lites weren't always a thing, until they became as such. Same with Battle Royale. One game was made, it got sequels. Other games were made by people loving that, so they mde their own iteration and idea based on that, and on and on it goes. Then it becomes a thing. I'm slightly deraliling off point, but I'm just trying to illustrate what I believe is a lack of logic in what you're trying to convey - Or perhaps I'm failing to understand it.

Sci fi is a thing. Star Wars is a sub thing of that. Does that mean no one else should make sci fi things? Should no more Star Wars be made just because the next movie may have a new director? Should there not be a Baldur's Gate 3, because... Reasons?

Last edited by The Composer; 05/11/19 12:23 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Disney's Star Wars movies are a sequel to the the original trilogy and the prequels. Just like Bioware's Baldur's Gate series tells the story of the Bhaalspawn, the numbered Star Wars movies tell the story of the Skywalker bloodlines conflict with Palpatine. Once Episode 9 is out, they will continue to make Star Wars movies, but there won't be an episode 10.

If Larian's game had been called Baldur's Gate: Rise of the Illithids or something like that, then that would have been fine. If it had been called Baldur's Gate: 5, then that would have been fine, too, as it would make it clear that it was simply the 5th DnD game on PC set around Baldur's Gate.

Calling it Baldur's Gate: 3 connects it directly to Bioware's series. They are saying, "This has nothing to do with Dark Alliance. This is a sequel to the Bioware Games."

Now, I am sure the game will probably be pretty good. I just wonder if they have any plans to tie this game to Bioware's series at all. It seems unlikely that it will be as closely tied to the series as the Beamdogs' Siege of Dragonspear was.

Also, Baldur's Gate is known for being in 2D, as opposed to Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which are in 3D. Larian will probably make a 3D game.

So, my suspicion is that this game will not follow the story from Bioware's series, nor will it look and play anything like it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
100 years have passed since BG2 so most people are long dead or have died in the spell plague. Bhaal is back the Bhaalspawn is dead so no this won't be a direct sequel.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Moon Logic
Why will this game be called Baldur's Gate 3? There are so many DnD games and there are two Dark Alliance games set in the Baldur's Gate setting.

Siege of Dragonspear was made to be a part of the Bhaalspawn story, but as that story ended in Throne of Bhaal, I don't see how this new can can work as a sequel. It is different for Neverwinter Nights, because the games and the official campaigns have little to do with each other, except for some times being set in or around Neverwinter.

Maybe this would be easier if the Baldur's Gate series had had a different name, such as Child of Bhaal or smthn.

My suspicion is that this will be a feel like a DnD game made by Larian that happens to be set in Baldur's Gate, and that it will have more in common with Divinity than the Baldur's Gate series. What exactly does Larian gain by switching IPs?

It feels like they're just trying to take advantage of Baldur's Gate legendary status.

The game will probably be pretty good, so I don't know why I am being so negative. It just bugs me. Couldn't they call it Baldur's Gate: Everything is Interactive or Baldur's Gate: 3D or something?

while i agree and share your concern, being called BG3 without a direct continuation (be it the story/setting, gameplay or even the look and feel of previous BG1&2 title) may not be larian's call. it was WOTC who contacted larian 2 years back then? they may have FULL or direct control of what they intended Larian to make. sometimes it may looks fun or friendly on video? but in actual those can just be PR.

they wanted the whole internet to explode (which they have). larian twitter increased 30K followers out of a sudden IINM. it would be a PR failure to gather attention of the gamers and media if they were to the new game Baldur's Gate Online: Gather your party!.

While it may be very well true it's basically developed MAINLY and prioritize as an online game, calling it baldur's gate 3 it's a no brainer IMO.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Dark Alliance is not a numbered sequal because it specifically isnt meant to be a sequal but a spinoff.
This is meant to be a sequal, its ltieraly that easy.

And im sorry, but a continuation of the story is a continuation of the soty, even if one sepcific story element, the main character, is different.
FOR WHAT YOU KNOW, you dont know how importat Bhaal will be in this, you realy thikn if this was a game entierly about Illithids, theyd be so upfront about it?

Last edited by Sordak; 05/11/19 04:19 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't see why you guys are putting the chosen name choice upon Larian. Contracts were drawn up and signed. WotC gave the ok on the Game Title and probably said it had to be called BG3 in order for Larian to get the License.

The stories in Baldur's Gate are not about the Bhaalspawn and Bhaal. But the Evil in Baldur's Gate. Back then it was the Bhaalspawn. Now there is a new Evil in town. The Mind Flayers that we know of from the trailer. Whatever else is unknown at this point.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
The stories in Baldur's Gate are not about the Bhaalspawn and Bhaal. But the Evil in Baldur's Gate.

This is not correct. The original BG games have long been referred to, including in many WotC references as "the Bhaalspawn Saga." If anything, it is the other way around from what you claim, which is that the original games have little to do with the city of Baldur's Gate.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
I don't see why you guys are putting the chosen name choice upon Larian. Contracts were drawn up and signed. WotC gave the ok on the Game Title and probably said it had to be called BG3 in order for Larian to get the License.

The stories in Baldur's Gate are not about the Bhaalspawn and Bhaal. But the Evil in Baldur's Gate. Back then it was the Bhaalspawn. Now there is a new Evil in town. The Mind Flayers that we know of from the trailer. Whatever else is unknown at this point.

Well given Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus is said to be a prequel of sorts to BG3, we have some idea of what else will be in it. At least some side plots will likely deal with the aftermath of BG: DiA and I'd be surprised if there aren't fiend cults in the game. Plus the Bhaal, Bane, Myrkul are in "mortal demigod" form running around the region and you know that is no accident, it's connected to BG3, as while it is mentioned in BG: DiA, nothing in it actually requires Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul be in mortal form.

So we know there will be at least Mind Flayers (and minions), Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul and their servants, and like fiends their cultists as enemies (or possibly allies for evil characters) in the game. And Gith, a public display of invading a massive surface city will get the attention of the Gith for sure. And the "Companion" Planatar.

For more out there guesses I would be very surprised if we don't deal with the Gobliniods of The Chill and the Yuan Ti of the nearby serpant Kingdom.

For super out their guesses, other Demigods and Dragons.

T
T
I'm sure there will be references to BG1/2. I dont know how the map will look like, how random encounter will work (if theyre even in the game) but if you guys remember the classic Fallout games, there were rare random encounters that had easter eggs in them. In that vein there could be like an area with large paw prints on the ground that "indicates that a huge rodent has been passing by but that doesnt make sense because rodents dont get that big".

old hand
old hand
Larian Studios is actually in the credits for Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, they had a hand in making it, so I suspect we will see a lot if stuff from it in BG3, especially the stuff outside Hell.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard