Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hello

I absolutely love to play healers in group games.

I found it very embarrassing that e.g. there was no healer class in Dragon Age 2 + 3.

In an RPG, role allocation is absolutely crucial and a crucial pillar.
The separation and delimitation of the classes is fundamental and offers a lot of possibilities for the individual classes then their own development story, specializations including quests, spells, associations such as magician guild, monastery, thief hiding place, druid grove, hunter summit, necromancer crypt, church and what everything else about classes has belonged to a community there and its possibilities.

I like it e.g. heal with druid spells. So more the natural magic and its effects. I found that the druid as a healer was always severely disadvantaged compared to clerics and that in the end the magic and its effects were too little differentiated.

Although I generally enjoy healing in RPGs. I mostly play a healer first and let my NPC camarades do the "dirty work".

If this is done well, it will be a completely different gaming experience and that should be it. Depending on the role, it should feel different and be multifaceted.
When I play a barbarian, I don't just want to see a scream of rage. He should play wildly, build up anger and then reduce this anger through possible combat attacks.
If he is the same as a warrior, only has a cry of rage, that is boring uniform porridge.

So different healers are possible, so that a druid specializes in that he also has other healing spells and abilities for a group, for his pet and for himself, than like a cleric, whose spells work much more according to heavenly magic and belief, in contrast to natural magic of a druid, which also involve strong healing over time.

I hope that in addition to the actual story of the game, I will also be able to tell interesting tale-long side stories for the classes and not only make the game like a tube, like a movie, but also make it wider. The games were designed like Might and Magiec 7, one of my favorite RPGs until today.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you could take something with you.

S
veteran
veteran
S
The cleric is a very good healer so dont worry.
the problem is that 5E lacks a "Tank", you seem to think in MMO paradigms so ill put it that way for you.

Class roles in DnD dont work like they do in an MMORPG, several roles are not roles that come into play in combat, but rather come in play outside of it, such as the Party face or the much dreaded skill monkey (tho recet editions mostly did away with those)

That also means that combat is very different. For one, melee characters like fighters are primarily about dealing Damage (so think of the MMO DD) rather than battlefield controll ( like the MMO tank), with some side roles like a Paladin beeing able to heal.
The closest to tanking youll come in DnD is by bodyblocking people in a tight spot or by doing a Polearm and Sentinel fighter build.
In order for this to work properly theyll have to implement tunnel fighter tho which they probably wont.

As such, healing in DnD is not about having a fighter at full HP, healing is more utility than anyhting else.
A fight is neither won by damage spells nor by heal spells (at early levels, in the lategame, mass target damage spells like fireball and even more powerfull ones do end encounters quickly), rather the most important spells are crowd controll stuff like putting enemies to sleep or rooting them in place (if youve played icewind dale you probably know that drill from the bridge fight)

Anyway TL;DR yes theres gonna be strong healer options but no they wont do the same thing as theyll do in an MMORPG

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
The cleric is a very good healer so dont worry.
the problem is that 5E lacks a "Tank", you seem to think in MMO paradigms so ill put it that way for you.

Class roles in DnD dont work like they do in an MMORPG, several roles are not roles that come into play in combat, but rather come in play outside of it, such as the Party face or the much dreaded skill monkey (tho recet editions mostly did away with those)

That also means that combat is very different. For one, melee characters like fighters are primarily about dealing Damage (so think of the MMO DD) rather than battlefield controll ( like the MMO tank), with some side roles like a Paladin beeing able to heal.
The closest to tanking youll come in DnD is by bodyblocking people in a tight spot or by doing a Polearm and Sentinel fighter build.
In order for this to work properly theyll have to implement tunnel fighter tho which they probably wont.

As such, healing in DnD is not about having a fighter at full HP, healing is more utility than anyhting else.
A fight is neither won by damage spells nor by heal spells (at early levels, in the lategame, mass target damage spells like fireball and even more powerfull ones do end encounters quickly), rather the most important spells are crowd controll stuff like putting enemies to sleep or rooting them in place (if youve played icewind dale you probably know that drill from the bridge fight)

Anyway TL;DR yes theres gonna be strong healer options but no they wont do the same thing as theyll do in an MMORPG

Legendary Resistance keeps control from breaking the game.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sordak
the problem is that 5E lacks a "Tank"

Circle of the Moon Druid and Bear Totem Barbarian would like a word. Aggro is a thing. If the low-INT creatures are going for the back line after a raging fuck machine runs into them - that's a DM problem not handling aggro realistically. If the high-INT creatures/people can get to your back line that's a tactical or party composition problem - or not - just because they're the back line doesn't mean they shouldn't feel danger. Neither are problems with 5e lacking a tank. Tanks are tanks in 5e. If you want lockdown or control, you can get that elsewhere.

Last edited by Brent2410; 14/01/20 02:59 AM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
having played a barbarian in 5e and DMed for other systems id say "tank" is a bit of a stretch.
Aggro doesnt exist, a creature does what it does and even a low int creature can be opportunistic.

old hand
old hand
Well just in the PHB Clerics, Paladin, Rangers, Druids and Bards all get good to great healing magic. If they use subclasses and classes beyond the PHB, then the Artificer Class can heal, the Divine Soul Sorcerer can be a very powerful healer second only to a Life Cleric and can even enhance someone elses healing spell, the Celestial Patron Warlock has descent healing and the new (UA) Way of Mercy Monk is a good healer for a none spellcasting class.

For tanks the Oath of the Ancient Paladin provides great protection for those around them within their aura and then their is the Cavalier Fighter from XGTE.

journeyman
journeyman
In terms of healing, Omega is right. To go even further, the sub-classes offer further healing options. Life Cleric packs a punch when it comes to healing. You could even go Lore Bard and choose healing spells for your bonus spells (Aura of Vitality being a great one). If Larian is incorporating Feats, you could add the Healer feat for even more healing power.

As for the Tank debate, I would argue that, while there is no traditional tank in the MMO sense, there is some tanking to be had.

- A Totem Barbarian built to grapple can hold down one or two opponents and absorb soooo much damage.
- The Protection Fighting Style available to Fighters is a way to incentivize an opponent to attack you instead of an ally.
- The Battle Master Fighter can use their maneuvers to either shut an enemy down (trip attack) or incentivize them to attack you (goading attack).
- The Sentinel Feat prevents opponents from moving away from you to attack others.
- Paladins have Compel Duel to lock an opponent into attacking only them.
- Conquest Paladins (if we are pulling from outside of the Player's Handbook) have an aura that can literally keep enemies from moving if they're frightened.
- Some spells keep the opponent from moving, thus ensuring only you are attacked. Booming Blade comes to mind.

So there is a lot of options for "Tanking," but there is no Taunt button you can press to automatically pull enemies to you.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard