Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
Well if you lot are looking for a good toolset in a DND video game you are better off looking at NWN1 and NWN2 I mean these game are made to make your own stuff

They are also old and primitive for today's standards.

Dark_Ansem #663822 14/03/20 10:09 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Well if you lot are looking for a good toolset in a DND video game you are better off looking at NWN1 and NWN2 I mean these game are made to make your own stuff

Yes but I don't see anybody willing to make a NWN3

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
S
veteran
veteran
S
theres literaly no game out there doing whT Aurora did

Sordak #663878 14/03/20 07:26 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
theres literaly no game out there doing whT Aurora did

Skyrim?

addict
addict
I would certainly like a toolset in the vein of NWN and NWN2, as well as disclosure of the data formats, in order to create additional content. Many of the games with longest-lived popularity are those with strong after-market tools. In fact, quite a lot of the work that went into Storm of Zehir was allegedly aimed at improving the capabilities of the NWN2 toolset.

I'm sure the determinant for Larian will be balancing financial cost/benefits of doing this compared with other alternatives.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Skyrim cannot do quasi MMORPG mutliplayer with active gamemasters so no

stranger
stranger
Please give us a Toolset like the old NWN games, so we can create our own Singleplayer / CoOp Modules and the GM mode would be nice too :)

veteran
veteran
All of this sounds grand, we can but hope.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V

Yes but I don't see anybody willing to make a NWN3

Sword Coast Legends tried to be the 5e version but failed.

Larian has the right idea, which is to make the game work first.

After that I can see DLCs with more sub-classes and races.

The game will be mod-able, but I can see a tool set being a sell-able item after all the polish is done.

They would really rock the boat if they made a hex grid map system that could trigger module encounters (a jump from 2d to 3d). Now you could make Fantasy Grounds obsolete and host complete campaigns the size of Faerun in scope, while focusing the modules where the action is happening.

Then comes the ships pack, ect, ect.

S
veteran
veteran
S
sword coast legends , apart from not sticking to the rules, was too narrow. you couldnt realy create something compleltey wild with it.

in order to go full aurora you need to be easily moddable and able to break everything. Also you need to allow tons of people in multiplayer

Sordak #675448 21/09/20 08:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
sword coast legends , apart from not sticking to the rules, was too narrow. you couldnt realy create something compleltey wild with it.

in order to go full aurora you need to be easily moddable and able to break everything. Also you need to allow tons of people in multiplayer

Therefore avoiding some of the most INFURIATING things done with DOS2, truly incomprehensible, namely hardcoding talents so that new one couldn't be done without workarounds.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
There is literally nothing I want more than a Toolset, a DM client, and double digit multiplayer capability so that people can run their own miniature Massive Multiplayer Online campaigns. Even if Larian sold a toolset and a DM client as two separate products. Yeah I'll spend $150 for all three. Frankly, I'll spend more. This is not an experience that exists outside of NWN1 and NWN2. Two games that are ancient (and still have active communities), but are also in a vastly inferior version of D&D.

stranger
stranger
Registered to the forum just to add my thumbs up to anything that will get me closer to the NWN persistent world experience. NWN was already a great game but playing new worlds (servers basically), getting to know the players, rules, class changes and whatnot, that is one of my fondest gaming memories.

The way BG3 is shaping up and Larian having already shown an appetite for a DM component (pretty important in a persistent world setting) gets my hopes up that it may eventually be possible.

veteran
veteran
Has any detail been shared on the future of BG3 modding?

Dark_Ansem #676610 02/10/20 06:35 PM
journeyman
journeyman

Nothing concrete, no. From the updates I gather that they want to provide mod support, but not with EA. In one of the interviews (I think it was the one at Dropped Frames) Swen talked about mods, but it was clear that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for that toolset. Which makes sense, given the massive scale of the game.

Last edited by Nimue_de; 02/10/20 06:44 PM.
Dark_Ansem #676635 02/10/20 10:02 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert

Only what's already out there, i.e. it will happen sometime after the full release; but it's unlikely they'll release any further information until the time is right (which isn't now!)

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #676683 03/10/20 09:32 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

Only what's already out there, i.e. it will happen sometime after the full release; but it's unlikely they'll release any further information until the time is right (which isn't now!)

New avatar?

Dark_Ansem #676686 03/10/20 09:39 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
New avatar?

Yes, I got tired of being glared at by myself. This one is still "me" but less bad-tempered-looking.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
I remember even before NWN had instant levelling modules, I made my own with 50 gold dragons to kill, and epoc cheaty gear to kill them from level 1.

And then I just made my own items, making a full level was too much work.

The 50 gold dragons were simply on an open square field and you would just kill one at a time until you hit level 20.

Now you can just click a button and become level 20+ instead though.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Other than Original Sin 2 being technically and critical successful, part of the reason they were tapped to make Baldur's Gate 3 is because of the DM Mode and Toolset that Original Sin 2 uses; to my understanding at least. When you factor that into the fact that Original Sin 2's engine is being used for Baldur's Gate 3, it seems to me the more that I think about it, that a DM Mode and Toolset will be released eventually. My guess is it will come with the full launch if at all, but it's possible it could even be its own DLC. A lot of the hype for Baldur's Gate 3 is centered around making it feel like a real D&D game, and including these tools would be a critical component for that. Furthermore, D&D has never been more popular in its over 40 year lifetime than now. Further-furthermore, Larian is not known as a half-assed developer, but instead as one who really listens to what its players want within reason, and is eager to put out the best product possible, which is actually relatively rare. Most developers are interested in putting out the best product within a willing margin.

For these reasons, to reiterate, I think a DM Mode and Toolset is more likely than not (but not certain). However definitely not until at least the official release.

All of that now being said, I desperately, desperately want them to allow us to have as many people connected to a server as the server host can handle, and allow for multiple parties within said server. Many people are not familiar with what the hardcore NWN playerbase was like, but consider something like World of Warcraft the best model. There were hundreds of NWN communities with over a 1,000 members each, who had servers that were up to 55/55 players online at all hours of the day. DM's would run events and long term plotlines. The ability to create our own miniature MMO's and manage a our own worlds with clear storylines but with much less distance between players and developers than huge MMO's is something that has never existed outside of NWN1 and 2.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard