Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Waeress] #659150
27/02/20 09:55 PM
27/02/20 09:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 100
D
Delicieuxz Offline
member
Delicieuxz  Offline
member
D

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


I'm not seeing anything that says "improvement" to me in the footage. It looks like they just used the BG name while making a D:OS clone. The combat system footage I've watched so far doesn't appear to feature anything innovative or special. It just looks like a D:OS game and combat. That's not improving over D:OS let alone BG 1 and 2. That's being formulaic and I think it's being a sell-out and a hack.

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Delicieuxz] #659153
27/02/20 09:58 PM
27/02/20 09:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Dark_Ansem Offline

old hand
Dark_Ansem  Offline

old hand

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


I'm not seeing anything that says "improvement" to me in the footage. It looks like they just used the BG name while making a D:OS clone. The combat system footage I've watched so far doesn't appear to feature anything innovative or special. It just looks like a D:OS game and combat. That's not improving over D:OS let alone BG 1 and 2. That's being formulaic and I think it's being a sell-out and a hack.


No super annoying surface mechanism tho.


In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Delicieuxz] #659172
27/02/20 10:14 PM
27/02/20 10:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 41
Waeress Offline
apprentice
Waeress  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


An improvement why?


Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


I'm not seeing anything that says "improvement" to me in the footage. It looks like they just used the BG name while making a D:OS clone. The combat system footage I've watched so far doesn't appear to feature anything innovative or special. It just looks like a D:OS game and combat. That's not improving over D:OS let alone BG 1 and 2. That's being formulaic and I think it's being a sell-out and a hack.



An improvement as in much more true to D&D rules and systems. Going turn based enables to adopt so much more of a game system that is turn based (who would have thought...).

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Waeress] #659173
27/02/20 10:15 PM
27/02/20 10:15 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Dark_Ansem Offline

old hand
Dark_Ansem  Offline

old hand

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by Waeress
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


An improvement why?


Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


I'm not seeing anything that says "improvement" to me in the footage. It looks like they just used the BG name while making a D:OS clone. The combat system footage I've watched so far doesn't appear to feature anything innovative or special. It just looks like a D:OS game and combat. That's not improving over D:OS let alone BG 1 and 2. That's being formulaic and I think it's being a sell-out and a hack.



An improvement as in much more true to D&D rules and systems. Going turn based enables to adopt so much more of a game system that is turn based (who would have thought...).


I find hard to disagree with that.


In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Dark_Ansem] #659180
27/02/20 10:19 PM
27/02/20 10:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 120
F
Firesong Offline
member
Firesong  Offline
member
F

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 120
That was a relief to me. I wouldn't buy a real time combat game, because I strongly dislike real time combat in RPGs.

I'm relatively old for a gamer and I don't have the reflexes of a teenager anymore. It was more than 30 years ago when I started gaming, so...

Also I think that real time combat can never have the same depth, because it ends in "how fast can I smash buttons". Even cooldowns don't help much in this regard, because I also find WoW quite stressful, with all that real time movement that is necessary.

I know that younger players would prefer a more Diabloesque style of play, but please remember that there are different tastes. hehe


You can't be clever, decent and a magister. When you're clever and decent then you're not a magister. When you're clever and a magister then you're not decent. And when you're decent and a magister then you're not clever.

"Thou shalt not suffer a magister to live."
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Firesong] #659186
27/02/20 10:24 PM
27/02/20 10:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 262
korotama Offline
enthusiast
korotama  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by Firesong
That was a relief to me. I wouldn't buy a real time combat game, because I strongly dislike real time combat in RPGs.

I'm relatively old for a gamer and I don't have the reflexes of a teenager anymore. It was more than 30 years ago when I started gaming, so...

Also I think that real time combat can never have the same depth, because it ends in "how fast can I smash buttons". Even cooldowns don't help much in this regard, because I also find WoW quite stressful, with all that real time movement that is necessary.

I know that younger players would prefer a more Diabloesque style of play, but please remember that there are different tastes. hehe

Hold on a moment, you think BGI and II have Diabloesque combat? Smashing buttons, lol.

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Omegaphallic] #659189
27/02/20 10:27 PM
27/02/20 10:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 481
_Vic_ Offline
addict
_Vic_  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 481
I still cannot understand why people are so bent in saying that the gameplay showed that it is a DoS2 clone if they are clearly using the D&D5e ruleset and spells. I mean, no cooldowns, dice rolls, misses, critical misses, spell slots, the dying 5e mechanics, skills like shove, the mage hand...

So, Fallout 4-NV and Mass effect are a Call of duty clone because they are both 3rd person FPS?

And I suppose Skyrim and Witcher 3 are a clone of Assassins creed because they are Action RPGs too....

Last edited by _Vic_; 27/02/20 10:31 PM.
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: korotama] #659190
27/02/20 10:28 PM
27/02/20 10:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 120
F
Firesong Offline
member
Firesong  Offline
member
F

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 120
No, no... but thats the trend for years now.

I really wanted to love Diablo III and Torchlight I / II, but it always felt "too flat" for me. In Diablo III I just found myself randomly casting spells and winning basically every fight that way, I did never really understand why I had multiple skills in this game at all.

Mechanics like "here are skills, exploit the hell out of them and have fun" (my favorite D:OS 2 playstyle) are much more meaningful to me. Flesh Sacrifice + Adrenalin+ Skin Graft, for example.

Or that "forced exchange" trick to kill the level 18 troll.

I don't see how this could have been implemented in a real time game without being super stressful.


You can't be clever, decent and a magister. When you're clever and decent then you're not a magister. When you're clever and a magister then you're not decent. And when you're decent and a magister then you're not clever.

"Thou shalt not suffer a magister to live."
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: _Vic_] #659193
27/02/20 10:31 PM
27/02/20 10:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Dark_Ansem Offline

old hand
Dark_Ansem  Offline

old hand

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I still cannot understand why people are so bent in saying that the gameplay showed that it is a DoS2 clone if they are clearly using the D&D5e ruleset and spells. I mean, no cooldowns, dice rolls, misses, critical misses, skills like shove, the mage hand...

So, Fallout 4-NV and Mass effect are a Counter strike clone because they are both 3rd person FPS?


I think they mean visually - and it kinda does. But the actual improved camera is great!


In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Firesong] #659194
27/02/20 10:32 PM
27/02/20 10:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 262
korotama Offline
enthusiast
korotama  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by Firesong
No, no... but thats the trend for years now.

I really wanted to love Diablo III and Torchlight I / II, but it always felt "too flat" for me. In Diablo III I just found myself randomly casting spells and winning basically every fight that way, I did never really understand why I had multiple skills in this game at all.

Mechanics like "here are skills, exploit the hell out of them and have fun" (my favorite D:OS 2 playstyle) are much more meaningful to me. Flesh Sacrifice + Adrenalin+ Skin Graft, for example.

Or that "forced exchange" trick to kill the level 18 troll.

I don't see how this could have been implemented in a real time game without being super stressful.


Easy - you can pause combat to come up with your next move. The stress you speak of is adrenaline for me. I never got into D3 so I can't speak to that. Hey, I'm not staunchly opposed to turn-based but it could use some work as far as immersion and engagement.

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Delicieuxz] #659195
27/02/20 10:35 PM
27/02/20 10:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 481
_Vic_ Offline
addict
_Vic_  Offline
addict

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 481
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I still cannot understand why people are so bent in saying that the gameplay showed that it is a DoS2 clone if they are clearly using the D&D5e ruleset and spells. I mean, no cooldowns, dice rolls, misses, critical misses, skills like shove, the mage hand...

So, Fallout 4-NV and Mass effect are a Counter strike clone because they are both 3rd person FPS?


I think they mean visually - and it kinda does. But the actual improved camera is great!


Not really, if I understood it correctly (just read behind). And as I said, the combat ruleset is very diferent, as it is the combat mechanics in DOS games and the ones you use in 5e. If you say that the graphics are similar... well they are using an improved version of the game engine of Larian so...

Neverwinter nights 2 and the first witcher game both use the Aurora engine and nobody that played those games will say that they are both clones because the games have very different mechanics even if they look similar.

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


I'm not seeing anything that says "improvement" to me in the footage. It looks like they just used the BG name while making a D:OS clone. The combat system footage I've watched so far doesn't appear to feature anything innovative or special. It just looks like a D:OS game and combat. That's not improving over D:OS let alone BG 1 and 2. That's being formulaic and I think it's being a sell-out and a hack.


Last edited by _Vic_; 27/02/20 10:52 PM.
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Omegaphallic] #659206
27/02/20 11:14 PM
27/02/20 11:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 11
Emulate Offline
stranger
Emulate  Offline
stranger

Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 11
combat looks fine to me but I could never play a game where the map is completely pre scouted... you can even look over walls through closed doors... the game is garbage.

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Omegaphallic] #659239
28/02/20 12:49 AM
28/02/20 12:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 108
Artagel Offline
member
Artagel  Offline
member

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 108
Still can't believe how much money Larian will lose because of this stupid decision.

And I CANNOT believe they didn't try and get pre-order dollars before announcing this! It must have been impossible to manage, otherwise I'm sure they'd have tried.

Maybe they just were unable to find a way to keep any of the money once people canceled them. lol

Last edited by Artagel; 28/02/20 12:49 AM.
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Omegaphallic] #659242
28/02/20 01:09 AM
28/02/20 01:09 AM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 238
Hawke Offline
enthusiast
Hawke  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 238
So many people that ignore the fact that DOS 2 outsold literally every other CRPG, BG3 will make even more money.

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Hawke] #659245
28/02/20 01:40 AM
28/02/20 01:40 AM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Robymyz Offline
stranger
Robymyz  Offline
stranger

Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 18
Please Garrett H... that is the exact problem , this game is about making something that is appropriate legacy for Baldur's gate , this game is appropriate legacy for Original Sin....but not for Baldur's gate , i can accept any changes and tweaks , but it's hard to accept another TB game (even though i will buy and finish the game for the story)

Last edited by Robymyz; 28/02/20 04:39 AM.
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: _Vic_] #659327
28/02/20 10:49 AM
28/02/20 10:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Dark_Ansem Offline

old hand
Dark_Ansem  Offline

old hand

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I still cannot understand why people are so bent in saying that the gameplay showed that it is a DoS2 clone if they are clearly using the D&D5e ruleset and spells. I mean, no cooldowns, dice rolls, misses, critical misses, skills like shove, the mage hand...

So, Fallout 4-NV and Mass effect are a Counter strike clone because they are both 3rd person FPS?


I think they mean visually - and it kinda does. But the actual improved camera is great!


Not really, if I understood it correctly (just read behind). And as I said, the combat ruleset is very diferent, as it is the combat mechanics in DOS games and the ones you use in 5e. If you say that the graphics are similar... well they are using an improved version of the game engine of Larian so...

Neverwinter nights 2 and the first witcher game both use the Aurora engine and nobody that played those games will say that they are both clones because the games have very different mechanics even if they look similar.

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
Originally Posted by Waeress
What? I've been a Baldur's Gate fan since the first one was released. Me and my friends played them so much back then, and I still give them a go with a few years apart.
I don't feel betrayed at all, this looks like an improvement.


I'm not seeing anything that says "improvement" to me in the footage. It looks like they just used the BG name while making a D:OS clone. The combat system footage I've watched so far doesn't appear to feature anything innovative or special. It just looks like a D:OS game and combat. That's not improving over D:OS let alone BG 1 and 2. That's being formulaic and I think it's being a sell-out and a hack.



I'm just saying that a more personalised UI could help a lot.


In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Omegaphallic] #659344
28/02/20 11:43 AM
28/02/20 11:43 AM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 238
Hawke Offline
enthusiast
Hawke  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 238
The game isn't in early access, the Ui is still work in progress.

Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Hawke] #659360
28/02/20 12:37 PM
28/02/20 12:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Dark_Ansem Offline

old hand
Dark_Ansem  Offline

old hand

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by Hawke
The game isn't in early access, the Ui is still work in progress.


That's just an assumption. BEsides, even in early access UI can change. Game is in, what, Pre-Alpha?


In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaked screen shots its turnbased! [Re: Omegaphallic] #659361
28/02/20 12:46 PM
28/02/20 12:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 33
0
0Muttley0 Offline
apprentice
0Muttley0  Offline
apprentice
0

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 33
The thing I liked was the ability to throw things from your inventory during combat. Killing the intellect devourer by throwing boots at one out of
desperation was brilliant imho.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Freddo, vometia 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2