Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
After watching today's stream at Pax everything looks fantastic and I am extremely excited, however there is one area where I am still unclear and somewhat concerned. During the steam it was stated that they are bringing the origin system to BG3 with strong story focus on a pre-set group of characters.

This worked great in Divinity Original Sin 2 because each Origin character (even though they were race and gender locked) could be built into any roll, combat, magic, ranged, etc. When it comes to BG3 as far as the demo shows the characters are gender, race, and class locked. Unless we are expecting to see a wide range of other Origin character options there are huge amounts of combinations and background that wont be available with the same rich story (as they stated). For example, you have Gale, human wizard. If someone wants to experience the more detailed and diverse experience as a wizard, it doesn't sound like they will have any other choice but to play Gale.

Is there currently any comments or discussion on how much or little focus is given to custom characters? I still want to be able to have a dynamic rpg experience playing outside the lines of the Origin characters.

addict
addict
From what I saw and heard, you can create your own custom character. If I am miss reading your post I apologize.

-Doom

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes you can still make your own character and ignore the origin characters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Baldur’s Gate 3 will let players enjoy significantly more meaningful, nuanced stories using custom characters than they could in Divinity 2, this according to Larian Studios senior writer Adam Smith.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-will-fix-one-of-divinity-2s-biggest-flaws-3985098

S
veteran
veteran
S
Honestly im not a fan of the Origins.
for a DnD game, they are the wrong choice.

I hoped for something more like Dragon Age Origins, something youd be able to mold.
These are just premade characters.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, they are companions like you would meet along the way in Baldur's Gate. You just have the option to be one of them if you wish. Otherwise, you can create your own character.

I think it would have been fun to play Imogen in BG1. "Hey ya!"

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Doomlord
From what I saw and heard, you can create your own custom character. If I am miss reading your post I apologize.

-Doom

Originally Posted by Hawke
Yes you can still make your own character and ignore the origin characters.

Sorry I may have been unclear, specifically has there been any discussion about how much focus or options are given to custom characters.

When playing through Divinity Original Sin 2, I played with a group of three others, three of us were Origin characters and one of us was custom. The one custom character had almost no focus or story inclusion throughout the game other than contributing to our stories which were dynamic and extremely enjoyable.

That was fine for Divinity, but in a Baldurs Gate title where historically playing your own character was very important I am curious and somewhat worried about how dynamic your own story will be without picking these Origin characters.

Last edited by StormWeaver; 28/02/20 03:19 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
Baldur’s Gate 3 will let players enjoy significantly more meaningful, nuanced stories using custom characters than they could in Divinity 2, this according to Larian Studios senior writer Adam Smith.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-will-fix-one-of-divinity-2s-biggest-flaws-3985098

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to get a hold of!

S
veteran
veteran
S
well on that article, lets hope its true
Cause im definitly rolling custom this time around

journeyman
journeyman
In BG2, each companion character had their own goals and quests, and I think the BG3 Origin stories are similar to that. Edwin wanted the Nether Scroll, Anomen wanted to be a Knight of the Radiant Heart, Jaheira had to get rid of a curse, etc. The system in BG3 simply allows you to play as that companion instead.

And while you may be locked to a race and class (like the companions in BG2), 5e is great because there are subclasses that most classes will be able to choose at level 3 (level 2 for Wizard). So, if you're Gale, I'm sure you will be able to pick one of the specific Wizard subclasses to customize your playthrough.

apprentice
apprentice
Just to be sure: a self-made character will experience the same profound stories as a custom character?
Or will self-made characters be at a disadvantage?

Originally Posted by Wiborg Sturmfels
Just to be sure: a self-made character will experience the same profound stories as a custom character?
Or will self-made characters be at a disadvantage?

We do not know for sure as of now. There are articles saying that they intend for custom characters to have a more meaningful experience when compared to DOS2, but they still imply that the Origin characters will have a richer experience.

Personally I hope not, since I very much prefer to create original characters rather than playing with a preset. We shall see!

Last edited by Goldberry; 29/02/20 01:29 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Will it be possible to customize the appearance of the Origin Characters and choose classes? frown

stranger
stranger
As far as we can tell the pre-gen characters can't be customised much if at all, but I think they're planning on compensating for that a bit by having the Backgrounds system actually come up in the story too, so, entirely custom characters have a bit more detail too them though not quite on the level of the pre-gens

stranger
stranger
Origins are one of my least favourite parts of DOS2, simply because custom character's get a watered down experience in comparison. One of my favourite things about CRPGs is making my character. I was hoping they would use the Backgrounds as a loose origin instead... Or even make the origins more vague with room for me to flush them out myself instead of presenting me with a pre-made character.

Oh well. I'm going custom for my first run at the very least.

Originally Posted by Erwin Smith
Will it be possible to customize the appearance of the Origin Characters and choose classes? frown

I think Swen said during the demo they were still not sure about that. I'm guessing no, at least for class. Which class Gale, Wyll and Shadowheart are seems integral to their identities.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elvenoob
As far as we can tell the pre-gen characters can't be customised much if at all, but I think they're planning on compensating for that a bit by having the Backgrounds system actually come up in the story too, so, entirely custom characters have a bit more detail too them though not quite on the level of the pre-gens

very little customisation except class I think

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nope
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

nope, Origin characters/companions have fixed classes. Just like in the originals.

veteran
veteran
Nope

nope, Origin characters/companions have fixed classes. Just like in the originals.

In the original DOS you can customise. Didn't they change the vampire spawn's class during the origin story?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Nope

In the original DOS you can customise. Didn't they change the vampire spawn's class during the origin story?

Dos 2 didn't even have classes, in BG3 all Origins have a fixed class,Wyll (Human Warlock), Shadowheart (Half-elf Cleric), Lae'zel (Githyanki Fighter), Gale (Human Wizard) or Astarion (Elven Vampire Spawn, Rogue) like Vicconia started as a cleric or Minsc as a ranger.

L
addict
addict
L
Just rewatched the video. When he picked the vampire spawn he said the class and stats were preset for character.
It might be like dos2 where ifan was preset as a ranger type but we could change it.
Swen said stats etc can be changed (although this was under discussion).

So companions will have a preset class etc? I would hope we can customize all party members.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard