Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I am starting this thread as a place for those who prefer RTwP combat in BG3 to make their voices heard. This is NOT yet another TB v. RTwP debating thread. This is ONLY about promoting to Larian a request to include us RTwP fans into the game by creating an OPTIONAL RTwP combat mode in the game, with a full understanding that the game won't be expected to be balanced for both modes and will of course be balanced only for the existing TB combat system.

Please also keep from posting comments that this will never happen or that Larian has already said they won't do this. Things change. Plans change. For Larian it's not a matter of money or personnel or technical capabilities because Larian has plenty of all of that. This is just about whether you, the individual gamer, supports this idea of Larian being inclusive and bringing in RTwP fans, so very many of whom are diehard fans of the BG franchise, by incorporating an optional RTwP mode in the game. Yes or no?

journeyman
journeyman
I personally wouldn't need it (like I didn't need Turn Based mode for Deadfire) but if it's possible I would totally vote for it. I mean why not? Doesn't hurt to have more options and the more players the better. No idea if it's doable with the very specific game engine Larian uses - but maybe this could come as a patch or DLC? Or would that be off-putting?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I am starting this thread as a place for those who prefer RTwP combat in BG3 to make their voices heard. This is NOT yet another TB v. RTwP debating thread. This is ONLY about promoting to Larian a request to include us RTwP fans into the game by creating an OPTIONAL RTwP combat mode in the game, with a full understanding that the game won't be expected to be balanced for both modes and will of course be balanced only for the existing TB combat system.

Please also keep from posting comments that this will never happen or that Larian has already said they won't do this. Things change. Plans change. For Larian it's not a matter of money or personnel or technical capabilities because Larian has plenty of all of that. This is just about whether you, the individual gamer, supports this idea of Larian being inclusive and bringing in RTwP fans, so very many of whom are diehard fans of the BG franchise, by incorporating an optional RTwP mode in the game. Yes or no?

I mean, I'd love it to happen, but don't think it will. So sign me up for all it's worth

enthusiast
enthusiast
Perhaps starting a petition on change.org or wherever you might find appropriate would give us a better idea of how many people want RTwP.

S
veteran
veteran
S
i eman, sure.
having it as an opiton would be great.

but sven already said the combat system is set ins tone

stranger
stranger
I am in the turned based camp myself as it is how I like to play, but it would be nice to have both. The more people that buy into the game the better it will be in the long run IMO. However I fear it is easier to start with a RTwP engine and add a turned base mode than it would be to go the other way.

apprentice
apprentice
Grief and Loss Stage 3 - Bargaining

addict
addict
Move on to Pathfinder or Black Geyser, @OP. Baldur's Gate as we knew it is deader than dead and it isn't coming back.

Originally Posted by Nickolaidas

It is done and done. We all need to move on to the acceptance stage.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by dlux
Move on to Pathfinder or Black Geyser, @OP. Baldur's Gate as we knew it is deader than dead and it isn't coming back.

It is done and done. We all need to move on to the acceptance stage.

Accept it? Dude, I was DANCING when I learned the game would have authentic D&D turn-based gameplay!

addict
addict
Accept it? Dude, I was DANCING when I learned the game would have authentic D&D turn-based gameplay!

Nice passive aggressive flaming.

Anyway, good for you, boomer. Enjoy your slow combat.

apprentice
apprentice

Thanks! Enjoy your nostalgia goggles!

addict
addict

Right back at you, with your turn-based CRPG nostalgia from the early 1970s.

Last edited by dlux; 01/03/20 07:04 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

Right back at you, with your turn-based CRPGs from the early 1970s.

The ones still used in the tabletop game BG3 is based on? You bet I will!

veteran
veteran
+1 for an option to RTwP battles gameplay.
Or still the removal of the 3 in the name smile

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict

Right back at you, with your turn-based CRPGs from the early 1970s.

The ones still used in the tabletop game BG3 is based on? You bet I will!

Yep, the D&D tabletop RPG that simulates real time combat, but is used in turn-based CRPGs to simulate fantasy kabuki theater.

Some people just can't get enough of that super slow combat, that takes 10 to 20 times as long to finish.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Boeroer
I personally wouldn't need it (like I didn't need Turn Based mode for Deadfire) but if it's possible I would totally vote for it. I mean why not? Doesn't hurt to have more options and the more players the better. No idea if it's doable with the very specific game engine Larian uses - but maybe this could come as a patch or DLC? Or would that be off-putting?

This. I don't see any reason to bet on horses, and less so when it might damage balance and quality. TB is fine. Coming from someone that loves RTwP.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Boeroer

It won't salvage anything.

Fanboys will be fanboys.

If Larian changes the battle system, the toxic fanbase will cry about the UI.

If Larian fixes the UI, they will whine about the music.

If Larian changes the music, they will whine about the assets.

If Larian changes the assets, they will whine about the game's tone.

If I was Larian I wouldn't change a single one of those things. It would simply be a waste of time and resources. For changes, I would focus my energy on the gamers who talked about what works and what doesn't in the actual gameplay mechanics used NOW (i.e. shove being overpowered, percentages being misleading, etc.)

S
veteran
veteran
S
pretty much

enthusiast
enthusiast
But is the shove overpowered? or is that tadpole thingy using psionics to empower the shove? (magehand)?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
But is the shove overpowered? or is that tadpole thingy using psionics to empower the shove? (magehand)?

Don't get me started on Bonus Actions being Actions or the lack of Reactions - We have 2 separate threads for that smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard