I'm 34 year old and for me Baldur's Gate series isn't an another Crpg game, it's a part of my childhood, it's the origin of my surname "DaKatarn', this is the only game I’ve ever played more than 30 times and it's honestly a masterpiece of CRPG with actually no equals. A lot of my actual friends were met in a duel guild on bg2. ;)
I'm very hyped with the announcement of BG3 BUT it's objective to say that it is too close to a Divinity with a skin.
So, how to fix it and make this game a real Baldur and not a clone of Divinity with no nostalgic effect.
IMO the system of fight isn't the main trouble, so I will not opened here the drama between Active Pause and Turn Base.
Let's go for the golden checklist (In Progress):
- One map for one location to visit with a big world map and the possibility of returning from former areas. The system of ONE BIG Map for one Act in Divinity isn't BG friendly and it's an immersion breacker.
- Incantations for wizard spell!!!!!! Not just click and KABOOM FIRE EFFECT!
- Of course the UI is too close of Divinity. We want an UI with wood and stone, a little more gloomy and traditional.
- "Ahh, the Child of Bhaal has awoken."
A VERY VERY BADASS MAIN VILAIN! Sarevok and Irenicus was deep and very iconic, like Hitchcock said "A good story is a story with a good vilain". I hope Illithid Master isn't the real final boss. I have big hope with Cult of the Dead Three (a very good connexion with the Bhaal Legacy and the new context of DD5).
- A LOT of charismatic NPC Companions and not just 5 or 6 Origin Divinity' style NPC.... And please true ROMANCES and a lot of PARTY BANTERS.
- A very good and long adventure with local issues and not just ultra epic and cosmic issue, it's an other immersion breacker imo. Less epic for epicness and more coherent and realistic background. Less High Fantasy for Millenials and more MEDIEVAL fantasy with historic soul and deep conflicts.
In summary, a good glass of old-fashioned wiskhy in front of a crackling fireplace, an old library and a hunting trophy. Not a smooth and clean atmosphere like the design of the latest iphone.
- Custom portrait and real character sheet.
- A little less colorfull ambience, BG universe is more realistic and less shiny and high fantasy than Divinity.
- Less WTF moments and jokes than Divinity, BG universe is serious and deep with subtle touches of humor like Jan Jansen and Minsc quotes.
An attack of shoes is fun but it's also useless and not the spirit of the licence.
- Please, a true group of 6 adventurers ( During the demo I have seen only 4 slots of characters...).
- Of course, a lot of easter eggs with the BG series (Viconia, Sarevok, events, locations, ...).
- BG Music' style or remix! Even today the first notes of the main theme of BG1 or BG2 still very iconic.
If you see any other small details I will updated this list ;).
Last edited by DaKatarn; 01/03/20 03:08 PM.