Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
I believe I read in an interview that these "tadpoles" are unique. I agree that it is likely that the "issue" with them will mostly be wrapped up in act 1. This can happen in 1 of 5 ways as far as I can imagine. The 1st, you transform into a mind flayer and play the game on the side of mind flayers (unique dark spin that I approve of) or alternatively game over. The second would be you bend the tadpole to your will (at least temporarily) to retain the powers they grant you. The third would be you become cured of the tadpole from an outside source, the 4th you reject the powers of the tadpole limiting its influence in you. The 5th would be the tadpole takes over your body, turns you into a mind flayer, sending your soul to the afterlife where you fight to return to the world of the living and reclaim your body.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am of the assumption that Larian are definitely going to be taking some artistic licence with how long it takes a person to become a mindflayer. In the original announcement trailer(the one actually in BG itself), the Flaming Fist guard is fully turned in about a minute.

Love and sausages xx
S
veteran
veteran
S
they already said the mindflayer specifically came up with a way to do t faster so who knows.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sordak
they already said the mindflayer specifically came up with a way to do t faster so who knows.

Hence why an earlier solution becomes more imperative

journeyman
journeyman
Honestly, the idea of super-special powers AGAIN, FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME sounds distasteful as hell.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ellderon
Honestly, the idea of super-special powers AGAIN, FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME sounds distasteful as hell.

Without them, however, the tadpole takes over and the campaign dies.

addict
addict
Whilst we have SEEN the Antogonists, at least the suposed Antagonists, how do people feel about whether we are of interest to them (other than simply being a host) vs the main focus of said Antagonist.

Example: BG1&2 was all about us, in BG2 especially Irenicus was alllll up in our face and taunting us, manouvering us and talking to us directly. Equally in Diablo 3 again it's all about us, the Nephalem (read cliche chosen one).

However Diablo 2 as a counter example is not about us at all. The Dark Wanderer does his thing and we clean up in his wake until we catch up and become the unlikely hero. None of the cinematics revolve around us, just what is happening.

So, A, or B, a mixture (i.e. start insignificant then become a named thorn in their side?) Do you want to be the focus or just a cog that breaks the wheel?

journeyman
journeyman
In a way I don't really think BG2 was about the player character. Irenicus was definitely the main character while we were even less important than Imoen. It was a really well made game in that regard and they sidestepped the issue of a faceless player character very well.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
In a way I don't really think BG2 was about the player character. Irenicus was definitely the main character while we were even less important than Imoen. It was a really well made game in that regard and they sidestepped the issue of a faceless player character very well.

Fair point, though as a child of Bhaal we were directly linked to the antagonists in both BG games, from start to finish. We were known & directly spoken too.

I guess I was asking if people prefer to be recognised by the antagonist front anc centre or more in the background, kinda appearing on their radar near the final act, if at all.

S
veteran
veteran
S
yeah im not a fan of getting powers from that thing. why.
it diminishes the value of it beeing an RPG

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Riandor
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus

Fair point, though as a child of Bhaal we were directly linked to the antagonists in both BG games, from start to finish. We were known & directly spoken too.

I guess I was asking if people prefer to be recognised by the antagonist front anc centre or more in the background, kinda appearing on their radar near the final act, if at all.

Sure, we were important to the plot but also not really the main character, which is why it was so clever. I can't think of many games that pulled that off.

addict
addict
My only fear is that since Mindflayers are CR 8 enemies they pull a BG1 and limit your levelling. I'd really want to play to reach max level, like I do in every CRPG.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sordak
yeah im not a fan of getting powers from that thing. why.
it diminishes the value of it beeing an RPG

I think this is called a hook

The powers isn't what is bothering you, since you can ignore them.
The tadpole is, since this is the thing that forced the characters to come together and set out on the story.

journeyman
journeyman
I understand what you mean by a hook. Every D&D group needs one to bring the group together. However I don't think this is his issue. In DOS II we're playing the "godwoken" not just some average Joe who happens to get involved. However, this was crucial to the story. I believe that the "tadpole" is a similar scenario. So long as it is relevant to the story and not just an excuse to let a vampire move during the day I don't see a problem with it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, it is said that it is a special Tadpole.

journeyman
journeyman
I don't think the illithids are the BBEG, it's as Cirolle said, a hook and a way to kick off things with a sense of urgency. Read the story description I posted on page 1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
And I don't think the Illthids are what make the tadpole special silly

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Madaras
I understand what you mean by a hook. Every D&D group needs one to bring the group together. However I don't think this is his issue. In DOS II we're playing the "godwoken" not just some average Joe who happens to get involved. However, this was crucial to the story. I believe that the "tadpole" is a similar scenario. So long as it is relevant to the story and not just an excuse to let a vampire move during the day I don't see a problem with it.

Well the tadpole probably came before the vampire in this scenario.

I am not a huge fan of "the chosen" scenarios, but I have to admit that it works a lot of the time. It brings a bit more to the table than "So, you are all at the inn looking for a job"

journeyman
journeyman
If you play much table top D&D you'd be surprised at the amount of adventure one can find by going to a tavern looking for work. :P

Part of the wonder of D&D is most of the time you come in as a nobody, perhaps you have an interesting backstory that leads to some very interesting side quests, but relatively speaking you are nothing special at the start, but adventure after adventure through twists and turn you become somebody who makes a difference in some cases you may even become a god, but that's not always the end. Sometimes that's just the beginning of your next big adventure.

veteran
veteran
In DOS they made many compromises in this regard in order to promote their unique game-play quarks- origin story, all origin characters are companions, and all of them are (potential) rivals with the same ultimate goal. this meant that all the characters were basically the same in the large scheme of things, unlike other narratives of this kind where one character is the center, he has a goal and the companions help him to achieve his goal for different reasons. Now I think Swen mentioned that the competitive part of gameplay that was present in DOS2 will not be in BG3, which (hopefully) will create more options for them to innovate the storytelling.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard