Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by kyrthorsen

Well the game in the making is not called Forgotten Realms.

The game is called Baldurs Gate 3.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were dark as hell.

Yes, they had some forests in them but those forests were made to look as realistic as was possible at the time.

What Larian is doing is like a new dev studio taking a game like Bloodborne (brutally dark game) and making it look like Zelda.

You think real Bloodborne fans that actually played that game a long time would like something like that?

I replay BG 1 & 2 every 2 or 3 years and I don't know what you are talking about. They are definitely not "dark as hell".

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Waeress

Yes, they had some forests in them but those forests were made to look as realistic as was possible at the time.

What Larian is doing is like a new dev studio taking a game like Bloodborne (brutally dark game) and making it look like Zelda.

You think real Bloodborne fans that actually played that game a long time would like something like that?

I replay BG 1 & 2 every 2 or 3 years and I don't know what you are talking about. They are definitely not "dark as hell".

He might literally have been/is wearing rose colored glasses.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Yeah well thats probably because you have replayed those games to many times. When you do that, the magic is gone (just like listening a song to many times).

Remember when you played those games for the first time?

Every new encounter was scary, every new dungeon was terrifying, every new enemy was dangerous.

There was a very creepy horror feeling going around in unmarked territory.

Of course if you have played those games 20+ times then that first scary feeling goes away. Its a shame you feel like that. Hope you enjoy your brand new all happy and shiny BG3.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Emrikol

He might literally have been/is wearing rose colored glasses.

Haha, yea this dude played BG so many times he now probably thinks its his second home.

addict
addict
When you played those games for the first time you were a kid. Sorry man, nothing will ever get you back to that. You basically just admitted you are suffering from the "rose tinted glasses" effect.

apprentice
apprentice

Yeah well thats probably because you have replayed those games to many times. When you do that, the magic is gone (just like listening a song to many times).

Every new encounter was scary, every new dungeon was terrifying, every new enemy was dangerous.

Of course if you have played those games 20+ times then that first scary feeling goes away. Its a shame you feel like that. Hope you enjoy your brand new all happy and shiny BG3.

No, I don't remember all of it being scary, terrifying and dangerous. Not because I replayed them many times, but because they were not all that. Parts of them yes, but very far from all of them.
And if you havn't replayed them at all, maybe it is your memory that give an untrue perception of what the games actually was?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Emrikol
When you played those games for the first time you were a kid. Sorry man, nothing will ever get you back to that. You basically just admitted you are suffering from the "rose tinted glasses" effect.

No, sorry to dissapoint you but I was not a kid then.

Wearing rose tinted glasses means you see things better then they are. Im not really sure whats your logic becuase im saying that BG was looking scary and dark - wouldnt wearing rose tinted glasses imply that i would think it was all happy and stuff? Nwm, you obviously are missing my point completely.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

No, I don't remember all of it being scary, terrifying and dangerous. Not because I replayed them many times, but because they were not all that. Parts of them yes, but very far from all of them.
And if you havn't replayed them at all, maybe it is your memory that give an untrue perception of what the games actually was?

No dude, my memory is working just fine.

Maybe me and most of the other people her were just scared little kids - while you were a brave warrior who is not scared of everythings.

Probably thats why you like your caroony looking DOS so much.

apprentice
apprentice
That doesn't even make sense. Sorry.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Well ok then probably you dont understand that im only trying to suggest that the game should have a darker tone.

Im really not trying to get personal here - I would just like if BG3 was a good stand-alone game,

apprentice
apprentice

Well ok then probably you dont understand that im only trying to suggest that the game should have a darker tone.

Im really not trying to get personal here - I would just like if BG3 was a good stand-alone game,

No, I mean it doesn't make sense to say I was a brave warrior that weren't afraid of anything and then suggest that therefore I like "cartoony looking" DOS.

addict
addict
When I played BG1/BG2 back when they released, both came off as goofy to me. There was a lots of joke characters, jokes played on NPCs, funny situations, pop culture references and sarcastic one liners ever two dialog selections. Most evil characters were just too over the top or melodramatic to be taken seriously too. The graphics didn't look particularity menacing or dark to me either.

What I've seen of BG3 so far is some adventuring in daylight and inside a very dark ruin with some gloomy night time chat about having a parasite eating your brain that will eventually turn everyone into mind flayers. It also included bloodsucking a party member... Looks plenty dark toned to me.

veteran
veteran
Bloodsucking a party member was not dark. It was the silliest, stupidest, most asinine thing ever, the joke of all jokes. What would've been dark, and very cool, is if the cleric had woken up and driven a stake through the PC's heart and killed him on the spot right then and there resulting in Game Over. That I would've greatly appreciated and applauded because that's how consequences should really work, especially for asinine actions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There was a stealth roll to see if he could get away with it and he passed, so we didn't get to see what would happen if he failed.

@11:10

S
veteran
veteran
S
waking the character up was a fucking dice roll

anyway, do i have to post the bloody screenshot again?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by azarhal
When I played BG1/BG2 back when they released, both came off as goofy to me. There was a lots of joke characters, jokes played on NPCs, funny situations, pop culture references and sarcastic one liners ever two dialog selections. Most evil characters were just too over the top or melodramatic to be taken seriously too. The graphics didn't look particularity menacing or dark to me either.

What I've seen of BG3 so far is some adventuring in daylight and inside a very dark ruin with some gloomy night time chat about having a parasite eating your brain that will eventually turn everyone into mind flayers. It also included bloodsucking a party member... Looks plenty dark toned to me.

Rubbish. That's just just arguing for BG3 with no point. Yeah a veeeryyy darkruin and bg2 too much humor? Come on...

How dark BG2 is, is already shown in the beginning. You wake up beeing tortured in a laboratory, everywhere some strange creatures. Clones in glasstubes begging for forgiveness. You can end their life to free them from this. There are slaves, other tortured people etc.

And this continues throughout the entire game! Of course you also have longer parts that are just classic highfantasy, but there are alot of psychopaths and"strange" things

S
veteran
veteran
S
yes.
BG2 for one.
And two: this starts with beeing locked up by mindflayers, with other people also getting mindflayer turned, you get a mindflayer larva implanted into your brain

Totaly happy.

You are just mad.
you think that "dark" is somehow an endorsement and claiming that htis game isnt that will make people as angry as you are

enthusiast
enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sordak
waking the character up was a fucking dice roll

anyway, do i have to post the bloody screenshot again?

Isn't that what I said, it was a stealth role for the vampire not to wake her up.

Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
There was a stealth roll to see if he could get away with it and he passed, so we didn't get to see what would happen if he failed.

@11:10

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Bloodsucking a party member was not dark. It was the silliest, stupidest, most asinine thing ever, the joke of all jokes. What would've been dark, and very cool, is if the cleric had woken up and driven a stake through the PC's heart and killed him on the spot right then and there resulting in Game Over. That I would've greatly appreciated and applauded because that's how consequences should really work, especially for asinine actions.

Haha thats a great idea.

veteran
veteran
BG1+2: Those games had several dark places, but also many places that were not so dark.
Many characters were completely over the top cartoony crazy: Minsc talks with his hamster, Jan Jansen talks nonsense all the time, Xzar and Montaron are paranoid psycho killers, Xan is whining all the time, and so on.
Most of these characters are so memorable because they are nuts.

Lots look at Larian:
In D:OS1 your main quest is to investigate a cult that sacrifices people to bring the end of the world. There are several areas with piles of corpses and blood all over the place.
In D:OS2 you start in a prison were they turn prisoners to mindless zombies. Later you come to many places that are destroyed, overrun by void monsters or demons or different groups of people are busy killing each other. Your ability to talk with ghosts is useful because there are so many corpses, even if you do not kill them yourself.
Sure, both games had also some over the top funny things.
The Preview of BG3 showed a soldier being turned into a tentacle monster and the intro movie shows the destruction of a town and people being kidnapped and infected with a parasite by such a tentacle beast. very funny and cartoony, right?

my opinion: BG1+2 and and D:OS 1+2 are actually quite similar. both have some dark places, some not so dark places and some over the top crazy characters.
I think the main difference is, that BG1+2 had painted 2D backgrounds while BG3 has a detailed 3D graphic where you can look at everything from all directions and move every object.It makes a difference if you walk through a idealized picture of a place or if you walk through such a place looking from the perspective of your character.

PS:
I think PoE1 was too dark for me. In the first town the main attraction is a tree full of corpses, the main topic are children without soul, and there are several cults who sacrifice people, while the game had almost no funny stuff except some comments from Eder and Kana.
The game is good, but sometimes it felt almost depressive.

I think a game needs both dark and funny things. This is an RPG, not a splatter horror survival game.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard