Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Point is: We remember the items of BG because we know where to find them, what they do and the things we experianced when fighting with them.
We do not remember anything from D:OS because the next orc would drop something better.

Totally agree. But, I don't think not having fixed loot contradicts this.

I guess I take my cue from old D&D sessions (DM made, not modules you bought). You just never knew what you would find. For me, that's part of the exportation element of an RPG

apprentice
apprentice
I like the weapon skills, makes the physical damage dealers a little more interactive. As long as it doesn't go overboard.

addict
addict
I still think having a toggle for low loot is the most pragmatic option. If loot is made sparse, there will be complaints, just as there complaints for loot being too abundant.

Having modded DOS2, and being familiar with how it is laid out under the hood, it is such an easy thing to do. I wouldn't be opposed to modding BG3 if needed, but not from the outset for fear of spoiling or ruining something

F
addict
addict
F
Memorable ones. And without "levels" on items.

I never got to use the sword which you can only reach with the teleport / some other movement spell in Fort Joy, because it was already outlevelled every time I got there. It would've been great to find great items which are really unique and which we could use from the moment of finding / acquiring them until the end.

The only item with this properties in the whole game of D:OS2 is the magic wand which the unfriendly dude in Driftwood sells. There could be so many more.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
addict
addict
From the Reddit AMA:

Can you tell us anything about itemization? Will magical items be scarce, or will there be a lot to find?

Not like in Original Sin. BG is a different type of game when it comes to loot and item fever. We still want to make treasure exciting, though, and that means a lot of manual work.Treasure has to make sense in the context, and that means hand-placing and hand-creating it. There will be equipment with magical bonuses, but not many - they’ll feel special, and they'll be tailor made.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm all for random items, known special items, or even item making/enchanting.

I'd kill to be able to make a ring & enchant it to my strengths. ..sadly, D&D item enchanting does not work quite that way. ;.;

addict
addict
I'm at least glad to learn that there "will be equipment with magical bonuses, but not many."

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Emrikol
From the Reddit AMA:

Can you tell us anything about itemization? Will magical items be scarce, or will there be a lot to find?

Not like in Original Sin. BG is a different type of game when it comes to loot and item fever. We still want to make treasure exciting, though, and that means a lot of manual work.Treasure has to make sense in the context, and that means hand-placing and hand-creating it. There will be equipment with magical bonuses, but not many - they’ll feel special, and they'll be tailor made.

cheer YEAH cheer

My main problem with D:OS2 seems to be gone.
I am permanently flooded with totally random stuff, it has a level and the numbers go up like crazy with every level.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Gaddy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Such a great news!!

A huge thanks @Emrikol for finding this answer

addict
addict
More from Swen:

How are magical items going to be handled? Are they going to be set pieces that the player stumbles upon or colour coded RNG drops or something in between? Will loot rarity and attunement limits be per P&P?

They are set pieces. We are not doing generated loot.

veteran
veteran
It looks they choose the best way about that.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/03/20 11:33 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
We won, at least on paper.
Now we just have to wait and see if they can actually match these (lovely) publicly stated design goals.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Loot is one of my bigger issues with D:OS2 - to much inventory management, too little fun. That's one of the improvements I am looking forward to the most.

Gaddy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A Divinity game with memorable items... this game is now my most desired one. Now if it could get a bit of the feeling & epicness of the old baldur's gate games, and some interesting characters stories & romances, that could become the perfect rpg.

M
addict
addict
M
For the love of all that's holy, if Larian persists with BG3 in their bizarre insistence a la DOS:1 and especially DOS:2 in relying on randomized loot stats/randomized loot instead of proper Infinity Engine loot with fixed stats (ideally also with an emphasis on hand-placed loot), I'll have to fix the game with a mod, or not play it at all. The ridiculous and completely unbalanced loot stat progression that encourages unbelievably tedious save scumming and vendor camping in DOS:2 - made even worse by its inexplicable combination with a game design that features a fixed total number of encounters and railroaded level paths on the maps - is making DOS:2 Definitive almost unplayable for me. (Just one DOS:2 topic that discusses these crippling issues, as valid today for DOS:2 Definitive as it was when it was posted, can be found at http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619480).

Larian, please tell me you've come to your senses when it comes to single-player CRPG design. NO. MORE. LOOT. RNG. Thank you. smile

Originally Posted by Madscientist
From the Reddit AMA:

I'm holding you to this, Larian! mad laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mikus
For the love of all that's holy, if Larian persists with BG3 in their bizarre insistence a la DOS:1 and especially DOS:2 in relying on randomized loot stats/randomized loot instead of proper Infinity Engine loot with fixed stats (ideally also with an emphasis on hand-placed loot), I'll have to fix the game with a mod, or not play it at all. The ridiculous and completely unbalanced loot stat progression that encourages unbelievably tedious save scumming and vendor camping in DOS:2 - made even worse by its inexplicable combination with a game design that features a fixed total number of encounters and railroaded level paths on the maps - is making DOS:2 Definitive almost unplayable for me. (Just one DOS:2 topic that discusses these crippling issues, as valid today for DOS:2 Definitive as it was when it was posted, can be found at http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619480).

Larian, please tell me you've come to your senses when it comes to single-player CRPG design. NO. MORE. LOOT. RNG. Thank you. smile

Did you miss the fact that they ALREADY confirmed they won't?
Which is exactly what we were talking about in the last replies of this thread, by the way.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Tuco

Did you miss the fact that they ALREADY confirmed they won't?
Which is exactly what we were talking about in the last replies of this thread, by the way.

Nope. See my post. Hoping they don't change their minds, because BG3 is a way off yet, and the randomized loot stuff has been a scourge of Larian games for quite some time.

journeyman
journeyman
+1 for non randomized loot. I loved planning my characters arround what weapons they will use, I loved adventure of seeking them and felt satisfied when I got them. In DOS 2 I started to resent leveling up just because of how tedious loot was. Because of high scaling every time I leveled up I felt "strongly encouraged" to go to vendors and at minimum find new weapons for melee/archers and replace every item slot that felt 3-4 levels behind. Loot felt so generic, just a stat stick. Oh I got a unique, oops I came to area a bit overleveled and now this item is useless. I found DOS 2 loot system the most tedious part of otherwise great game.

Edit: oh they confirmed it. Nice.

Last edited by TadasGa; 16/03/20 12:22 PM.
stranger
stranger
I mean, I think the weapons having skills compensates for something that you can't really do in a video game as easily but many DMs do in actual play which is stuff like a called shot- "I want to pin this enemy's foot to the floor." "Okay, that'll be a higher AC for a called shot, and drop down a die less damage since you're not going for a fatal shot."

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Firesong
Memorable ones. And without "levels" on items.

THIS
A bajillion times this.

If I see "you have to be level X to use this item" I'm going to firebomb Larians HQ.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard