Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This is just a part of a list we created with other fans of BG players on another BG3 forums.
It's sometimes hard to explain because it's sometimes about feelings.

Feel free to ask if you don't understand something.
Of course, feel also free to add things... I'll edit this post.

IDEAS TO FIND THE SPIRIT OF BALDUR'S GATE 1&2

- A unique story arround CHARNAME

For players to imagine they are playing THEIR story, not the story of everyone.
I really fear the main story is going to be less personnal because you can choose origins character and play nearly the exact same game.

- Unique story of companion

Unique doesn't mean different background. It means different objectives, differents problems, different story,...
In BG3 it looks all turns around the Illithid thing in the eye... In DoS all turns arround the source and all companions begin at Fort Joy for the same reasons...
Be creative, you can imagine many more reasons why people could be interrested in joining the team even if they aren't infected (idk, vengeance, free his sister, fight against the evil,...)

- Many more companions
Because it's role play.
If you can choose in a list of 6 characters during the whole adventure, you nearly have no choices (and can't play again a total different game)

- Dice roll at character creation

Because I like it, even if nearly everyone is cheating on it smile

- More maps, even if they are smaller they are in DoS.

In modern "half open world", You don't feel you're travelling. You just explore a whole map, then another, then another.
World maps like BG with lots of "little" maps, with time during the travel, the link between them (in/out from noth, east, south, west) give the impression of a true journey arround a "real" world. See also the next point.

- Free exploration
Non linear adventure. Being able to go "nearly" where you want when you want give the impression you create YOUR story the way you choose.

- Fog of war
Because you never know what's waiting for u 10m farther... Easy encounter or true challenge ?

- Variety of spells / class
Don't know what you take and you forget from D&D but having many spells that are nearly all different is important for the player to choose they way they'll play.
You don't use a fireball the same way you use a lightning. Same for buffs, debuffs and combinations of spells.

- Real time with pause option
Because PC gamer show many many players love it. Even if I'm not developper, I really don't understand why it couldn't be possible.

- More character in the team.
5 is the minimum. 6 is the good number to avoid the common team Tank+Healer+DPS (incl. thief).
Your team is what you want. With only 4 characters you don't because you always need this kind of common team.

- Night and day cycle + Meteo
With differents meetings/encounters, different atmosphere. The world looks real (walking in a city at night is not the same as during the day, same in forests or anywhere else).

- Less useless variations of items.
Minor, medium, normal, huge, giant potions... level 20 sword, then level 21 sword,... this is boring.
I supposed this is gonna be ruled by D&D rules.. you don't feel rewarded in actual games, because you ever change stuff 1 hour later... + see the under point

- More simple items stats
(+2 int, +1 ... + 1... - 3... + 10% ... => boring.
You have to simply understand why you would or not change what you wear.
It's not usefull to have difficult choices because the game won't really change whatever you use one or another.

- More complex character creation.

More races, more classes or subclasses...

- More epic and interresant side quest.

Simple quest (my brother dissapear while we were... or a groupe of Tasloi steal my sword...).
But also long and epic quests (Nalia's castle, temple of Amaunator,...).
Events (Druids fighting hunter,... possibility to resolve them peacefully if you have a a specific character in your team,...)

Better music and sounds / "atmosphere dialogs".
No one already remember DoS and DoS2 music instead of those I can named music.
Don't know how to talk about the sentences said by PC/NPC. Everyone remeber them also.

More life in town or inn.
This is something players like in BG we won't find in DoS even if there is probably more characters... this is about feelings.
Day and night, town and villages seems full of life. Even with this feelings, players know immediatly who is important and who's just a random NPC.

Thieves skills / traps and locks
All chess/doors aren't open in a role play world... Especially at night... Please keep skills to unlock them.
Traps should definitely not all be disarmed by putting a crate on a button (skill to disarm)... It's not a trap if you never fall into it (skill to find) and if you always see it.

Narrated Segues
One of the key elements of the BG experience is the digital GM narrating key transitions in the story

NPC romance
Because it's something many players love

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 06:07 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I forgot something :

Thieves skills / traps and locks
All chess/doors aren't open in a role play world... Especially at night... Please keep skills to unlock them.
Traps should definitely not all be disarmed by putting a crate on a button (skill to disarm)... It's not a trap if you never fall into it (skill to find) and if you always see it.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 05/03/20 08:29 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Good list. I'm on board with everything but the RTwP. That would take a pretty big change to the engine.

The PoE engine has both Turn and Real Time modes. Hopefully BG 4 will use it and then we can get painted backgrounds as well.

(but the PoE engine needs to be tweaked -- I have a decent gaming laptop but the engine still felt unresponsive much of the time. "No, I said move now, not half a second from now . . .")

Banned
Banned
All Followers at Camp
If you meet someone who chooses to come along with you, they should all be present in your main camp, which differs from your party that is an expedition able to camp independently. This way, you can travel and grow together as a larger group and take expeditions to go on individual companion quests and adventures.

Narrated Segues
One of the key elements of the BG experience is the digital GM narrating key transitions in the story. If this isn't present, you are not at all giving love or respect to the series, IMO.

I could get behind TB given the following:

- fixed-isometric camera with zoom, able to rotate in fixed increments (90 degree for tile, 60 degree for hex), but a free-cam that is not bound to a player
- the grid must be part of the underlying design of the environment such that exploration always keeps you on your toes and looking for advantage
- proper range for ranged weapons, none of this 13m crap
- proper D&D cover mechanics

veteran
veteran
Yeah. Your TB list would be better but I think we will need to wait for BG4 for that. Again, the PoE turn based mode is great . . .

I also want to underline the OP's quests / non linear element. In both BG and BG2 you could completely ignore the main plot and do side quests . . .

enthusiast
enthusiast
Npc romances Pathfinder Kingmaker did this so I can't see why Baldur's Gate 3 can't do the same thing

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
veteran
veteran
Good list. Some of the things are really luxuries (for example I don't think 4 or 6 party members is the difference between good and bad, and not even between good and great), but about some of these I strongly agree (I really don't want all my companions to be origin characters... it is really lazy honestly).

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
stranger
stranger
How about NPC having lives of their own like Kingdom come? :) Enemies chase after you and put bounty on your head and territories and environment change base on what is happening! Like make a dragon angry? And he will fly over and destroy towns and those towns will want you dead base on relationship you had with them, etc but majority of town will be negativity towards you and you got to build their trust again.

Also a friendly mod editor to set up quest so the journey can continue? Players can upload many types of quest to enjoy for a long time.

Last edited by Lucy Pevensie; 06/03/20 01:17 AM.
No super jumps automatic pushes all those should be skills tied to stats.

Def roll dice for stats

More then 4 party members atleast 5

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I think I miss the tilte and I can't edit.
I probably would have call it "Ideas to find the spirit of BG1 & 2"...

This first list was made by BG fans and that's for them some points that made the games so attractive, so unforgettable, so different as many other RPG.
There are great ideas here (or not, point of view) but some are really not in this philosophy.

I'll edit the first topic only with those kind of ideas, but of course everyone can discuss new ideas here.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 08:14 AM.

S
veteran
veteran
S
>story about CHARNAME
i dont know bruv, i wouldnt even say baldurs gate was that for a good chunk of it. especialy 2.
Im personally a bit burnt out on gamesl ike skyirm that treat you special from the get go.
I want a comfy adventure with comfy friends, i dont want a chosen one plot from the get go.

>Unique companion story
t.hasnt played OS2. Red Princes story is about the Red Princess and dragons. beasts story is about stopping his sister, lohses story is about beeing posessed and music, fanes story is about SPOILERS, Ifans story is about beeing lame.
the source thing is the main story of the game so its not like the companions gonna ignore it, but every one of them has one major goal that supercedes the others.
Of all the games i can think of, OS2 is certainly not one where you can complain that the companions are tacked on.

>more companions
agreed.

>dice roll at character creation
No.
Point buy is fine. Dice rolling is for OSR types where you roll ONCE. If youre not rolling exactly once then youre missing th epoint of this mechanic. Beeing allowed infinite rerolls is one of the stupidest fucking things in old CRPGs, and if they would limit you then people would sperg out about the game gimping their characters.
Also theres gonna be a mod for that within the first two weeks i guarantee you that.

>more complex char creation
obviously. Anyhting fromPHB better be in this. at the bare minimum.
Also iw ant some proper slider based character creation given that the game is gonna zoom in your face every 5 minutes.

>Side quests
its an RPG so obviously.

>Music
speak for yourself.

>More maps
aperently were not gonna be limited to the swordcoast so thats probably already confirmed.

>free exploration
sure. id like that. i dont see why it wouldnt be there either.

>Fog of war
idk mang. its not the most interresting thing in the world.
I prefer dicerolls to spot whats ahead, simmilar to NWN2 storm of zehir

>party of 6
agreed.

>Night and day cycle.
Probably wont be in, but should be. Together with Nights that are actually fucking dark.

>RTWP
just stop aleady, its not gonna happen.

stranger
stranger
A lot of things have been covered, but I would like to see:

- the option to create an entire party, like they added in the EE's of the old games.
- options in character creation such as height, weight/build, left handed or right handed, stance/posture and walking/movement animations.
- option to use custom portraits for character.

Last edited by H0RSE; 07/03/20 09:14 AM.

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out."
- Bill Hicks
veteran
veteran
You could play with a custom party in the original game too.
Start a multi player game, than create and control all chars yourself.

I did this in BG1 once, but playing with companions made the game more fun for me.
It would not be the right BG2 feeling if I do not hear "Butt kicking for goodness." or "Go for the eyes Boo." every now and then.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
enthusiast
enthusiast
everything is dice rolled, it just isnt always dice rolled in the middle of the screen

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
S
stranger
stranger
S
Unarmed combat and grappling. I had a barbarian character based on that and it was the most fun I had still. ("No horse, you are not running away !")

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sordak

>Music
speak for yourself.

>RTWP
just stop already, it's not gonna happen.

This!
Also I really liked the music for BG3 distinctly different from DOS2 music, and obviously different from DOS music (rip Kirill <3 you are missed)

Last edited by dwelfusius; 06/03/20 10:53 AM.

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
addict
addict
A good list...

I'll add my opinion (though some of these became generic RPG wishes vs spefic BG wishes):

Day/Night & Weather +1 from me

Compelling Story
That's always a must, but whether I am the main focus? I too prefer the approach that I am just another cog/adventurer, I am not important AT FIRST. But that's a preference.

Companion story
Where possible I would like that to apply to custom companions through selection of pre-determined background choices, but I am equally ok with that being done via the Origin characters. It's just if I play solo or with friends and all characters are custom built, I don't want to miss out on missions personal to each of us beyond the main story. Obviously less so in Multiplayer, but for cmpanions not cotrolled by players, i want to care, one way or another about what happens to them. Give me tough decisions (the feeding vampire one was quite cool), that shape our relationship. Does Shadowheart find out? Does she "like" it and want to become a vampire? Or does she forever mistrust me and look to double cross me at some point?

Dice Roll at Character creation
Didn't NWN get rid of this? Was that due to D&D 3.5 or a game decision... can't remember, either way, I'm happy to spend hours in Character Creation and don't mind re-rolling until I am more less happy, but it's not a must.

Fog of War
In a 3D game I am unsure of how this feels. In Isometric, yeah I guess, but seeing as we can move the camera to a more 3rd person approach, I think it would look odd. Maybe at the right range.. meh, not a big deal for me. Plus FoW was something to easil exploit in the original games with a well placed spell :hihi: so, other than the very first time I go somewhere or play, i somethng goes wrong I will reload right, so what does FoW give me? Plus if there is a castle or large structure in the distance surely I can see it?! I might not see if anyone is there, but the scenery?!

Companion quantity
Prefer 6, ok with 5, 4... maaaaybe. Not a fan of companions hanging around at camp. Why are they hanging around twiddling their thumbs whilst I venture out with my prefered X companions? Send them off, make them be doing stuff and then meet up even in specific locations at key points, swap in and out at that point if wanted or If I bump into them and only if I choose too (unless good story reason), but not by going back to camp and selecting a party composition for a particular quest or mission. Doesn't feel organic.

Side Quests
Interesting side quests, side quests that can be as equaly memorable as the main quest. See Witcher 3 for details, but in essence quests that at first glance appear uninteresting, but you know, sod it, xp. Yeah yeah, fetch this, do that and BAM, you're caught up in this whole other thing and it has consequences within itself. Equally, given the rating, don't be afraid to creep us out (Spoons - W3). Quests can be tricky I appreciate due to party composition and perhaps not having the required skills, but I am heartened by the discussion of not locking interesting outcomes behind success. Just lead me down a diffrent rabbit hole, but one just as interesting as the other.

I think the key here though is it happening organically. You don't want it thrust in your face the moment you enter a new area and it should be part of players travelling around and exploring. Also give me the choice to interact or not, don't interrupt my exploration (at least not ever time) with an in engine cinematic or unskippable conversation. Prvide me with visual or audible clues to pique my interest,or pull at my heart strings (crying child asking for help in the street), but I should be able to rush on and ignore it and perhaps have consequences later on, or not.

Real Party composition choice
This ties into something I mentioned in another thread. If the game is too combat heavy, then I am going to want combat heavy stats, gear, classes. I often felt (and that might just be faulty memory) that BG1&2 turned failed checks into another fight and another and that was fine, I like combat, but I like choice more.

Useful & Interesting Towns
Diablo 3 wanted to specifically keep you in the field Going back to Tristram for example was only useful to sell & repair gear and pick up quests. For me that sucks. Totally different game & genre and an extreme example, but the point stands that I would prefer shops to actually have gear that piques my interest or allows me to fill my party's needs. I might find 1x cloak of protection +2 out in the wilderness, but not a 2nd 3rd or 4th. Being able to buy useful items is key and bumping into interesting encounters whilst I am at it is a must grin - I don't see how this wouldn't be in this game, it already was in BG1&2, but it's important to me that loot does not make towns useless. I like shopping.

Last edited by Riandor; 06/03/20 01:15 PM. Reason: Formatting
stranger
stranger
Shopping with need to make a meaningful choice.
Would I buy this or that? Better dagger or cloak of protection?
Or would I save money for 8 more hours/quests to buy a plate mail?

That I like hehe

stranger
stranger
I agree with most stuff except rtwp. If it is an option that's ok if they make it work but that is a won't buy for me if it is required.

For me I also need to see feats and multiclassing and most importantly the removal of the bonus actions seen in the gameplay reveal, the limiting of the reactions to attacks and the team initiative. As much as I am really excited for this game, the changes in bonus actions and reactions will probably be a deal breaker for me as they are a really big part of the action economy 5e d&d.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
>story about CHARNAME
I can re-write because I'm not saying main character should be "the special one".
What I mean is that in Baldur's Gate, you and your companion just have differents story. No one is the one, there are only stories that leads companion to travel together (or not) for a reason or another but everyone has it's own otivations doing what the team is doing.

>Unique companion story
I really fear with the origins characters because wathever you take one or another, the adventure is the same except that one is now the leader and other are just companions. I'm not talking about their "origin side quest" or their background story, I'm talking about the feelings your character has his own main quest in the event of the world.

I really think origins character should not be playable as main characters because they seems to be very involved in the story and companions shouldn't be written the same way as main characters. It looks important for the player to feel he's an important part of the party story.

But I also don't really like the way they introduce them as companion, because it's again all about only one thing (everyone has a thing in the eye).
If you have 5 origins characters and 15 others recruitable characters well written ok, I can live with that. But I think it's not gonna happen.

>dice roll at character creation
Can't understand why you say "no".
It's probably not complicated to add, it's an easy reference to BG and it's a choice for players to cheat or not.
I think many tabletop role playing game won't cheat... I will smile

>fog of war
Maybe you can change the way I call it but I really hate you can easily spot everyone on the map before you're seen (except if you hide of course).
In the video Swen can see ennemies he shouldn't with humans eyes. So he can stealth and start the fight with a huge advantage. That's too easy.
If you can see them, they could see you (not always, dependings on the situation of course).
This looks like you can move were you want without danger, except scripted events...

>side quests
Not a popular opinion but I hate TW3's "side quests". It's too much for me.
I like having interresting and long side quest but not only... here it looks the game is nearly only side quests...
I don't think you have to add hundreds of side quest in a RPG if they are well integrated in the environment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard