Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
Player convenience? You mean like battles not taking 3 days to kill 5 rats?

AUTO RESOLVE BATTLES FOR THE WIN YAY

smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eguzky
There's a line drawn for player convenience over realism, even in an RPG.

But I'm aware that many people do enjoy that effect. Me? It mostly drove me nuts in Kingmaker.
"I want to walk to that town' *EXHAUSTED*
'Ok, I have one more fight in this cave' *No! Go camp! NOW!*
'Man, I'm doing good in this fight" *Now you're exhausted IN the fight!*

Again; I'm not against it being an option for players to pick and choose, but I know I would not enjoy it. I like resting to replenish my HP and spells. Or because I want to give my party a bonus of some kind. NOT because the game forces me to rest based on its internal clock.

Oh man, have you really ever played Baldur's Gate ?
Please don't tell me you know anything about the game and his "rest / exhausted" mecanics. What you're telling is totally not what's happening in the game.
I'll bet you did a mistake and choose the 3 worsts exemples...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 08:42 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman

But I'm aware that many people do enjoy that effect. Me? It mostly drove me nuts in Kingmaker.

Again; I'm not against it being an option for players to pick and choose, but I know I would not enjoy it. I like resting to replenish my HP and spells. Or because I want to give my party a bonus of some kind. NOT because the game forces me to rest based on its internal clock.

I mean 1 level in exhaustion only gives you disadvantage on ability checks (out of combat stuff such as persuasion, perception, thieves toolts etc.) so it's really not that bad. The bigger problem is spell slot management, which if you're for removing as well you might as well play a cooldown based game instead

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kungfukappa
I like Pathfinder for this. You can set up camp anywhere, and it is just some bedrolls and a little fire that your party actually uses.

Wow, I agree with you! ;-)

Hope that resting in a camp isn’t always the same screen.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Please don't tell me you know anything about the game and his "rest / exhausted" mecanics. What you're telling is totally not what's happening in the game.

..I gave my opinion. Why am I being snarked at? Yes, I played BG back when it was new.

I don't like exhaustion in games. It's a mechanic to slow down the game by pumping the brakes & forcing the player to run away and find a place to rest.

And AGAIN; I'm not against it being an OPTION. One I can TURN OFF and you can TURN ON.
I just don't want it forced on me. It adds nothing to the game but subjective enjoyment, or annoyance, depending on your opinion of it.

It does not help the story be a story 'And the hero vanquished the dragon after he got a full eight hours of sleep!'

It's just a mechanic that be taken or left. I chose to leave it.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ugmaro

I mean 1 level in exhaustion only gives you disadvantage on ability checks (out of combat stuff such as persuasion, perception, thieves toolts etc.) so it's really not that bad. The bigger problem is spell slot management, which if you're for removing as well you might as well play a cooldown based game instead

He was talking about the exhausted mechanic, not the long rest mechanic.

He was talking about Kingmaker, so...

journeyman
journeyman
Exhaustion is not only a BG1 and BG2 mechanic, it's part of D&D, and Larian is committed to being as close to 5e D&D as possible. IMO, if you're playing a Role Playing Game, you should expect a level of resource management. Would it make sense if characters were able to fight and fight for days on end without sleep? No.

The longer you go without sleep, the more exhausted you become. At first your skill-checks suffer, then your combat ability. Go too long without sleep and you die. It's not an arbitrary condition. It's meant to provide a sense of verisimilitude (realism).

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gmazca
Exhaustion is not only a BG1 and BG2 mechanic, it's part of D&D, and Larian is committed to being as close to 5e D&D as possible. IMO, if you're playing a Role Playing Game, you should expect a level of resource management. Would it make sense if characters were able to fight and fight for days on end without sleep? No.

The longer you go without sleep, the more exhausted you become. At first your skill-checks suffer, then your combat ability. Go too long without sleep and you die. It's not an arbitrary condition. It's meant to provide a sense of verisimilitude (realism).

If you are forcing your players to go without sleep, it is a setup you choose as a GM. And the debuff you get from it should be considered in any encounter you set up after that.

There is absolutely no reason for players to get exhausted in a session other than the GM decides that they will be.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Cirolle

If you are forcing your players to go without sleep, it is a setup you choose as a GM. And the debuff you get from it should be considered in any encounter you set up after that.

There is absolutely no reason for players to get exhausted in a session other than the GM decides that they will be.

This is why I'm fine with it being a toggleable option.

Why do people seem to want to force it down everyone's throat?

journeyman
journeyman

Who is forcing the players to go without sleep? The idea of player agency is that they decide when to sleep. They decide when it's a good idea to rest; and they decide if they want to push their bodies to the limit. If a player character wants to try and scale a mountain I will let them...if they don't roll good enough Athletics, they suffer exhaustion (or fall depending on the scenario).

Exhaustion is a D&D mechanic. It's not designed to be a punishment the DM inflicts on players, but rather a consequence to a player's own actions. "You want to try to catch up to the horde of villains by traveling through the night without sleep? Ok, but you risk exhaustion."

It's not the DM's responsibility to take a player character's exhaustion into account. If they risked exhaustion and became exhausted, that's just the way it is and they have to find a creative way around it.

Not only that, there are items, spells, and monster effects that render a player exhausted without the DM's say-so.

Last edited by Gmazca; 06/03/20 09:47 PM.
veteran
veteran

..I gave my opinion. Why am I being snarked at? Yes, I played BG back when it was new.

I don't like exhaustion in games. It's a mechanic to slow down the game by pumping the brakes & forcing the player to run away and find a place to rest.

And AGAIN; I'm not against it being an OPTION. One I can TURN OFF and you can TURN ON.
I just don't want it forced on me. It adds nothing to the game but subjective enjoyment, or annoyance, depending on your opinion of it.

It does not help the story be a story 'And the hero vanquished the dragon after he got a full eight hours of sleep!'

It's just a mechanic that be taken or left. I chose to leave it.

Slow in what ? It takes 2 sec in BG... And you don't have to "find" a place to rest, because you can rest wherever you want...
No problem with your opinion but I'd really like to understand it because what you're saying looks totally different as what it is.

EDIT : oh OK, it's because it looks more like a "tabletop role play session" sleep
It looks it's the end of your arguments...

EDIT 2 after your next answer : Oh, finally it's not because of tabletop role play session...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 09:52 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast

Who is forcing the players to go without sleep? The idea of player agency is that they decide when to sleep. They decide when it's a good idea to rest; and they decide if they want to push their bodies to the limit. If a player character wants to try and scale a mountain I will let them...if they don't roll good enough Athletics, they suffer exhaustion (or fall depending on the scenario).

Exhaustion is a D&D mechanic. It's not designed to be a punishment the DM inflicts on players, but rather a consequence to a player's own actions. "You want to try to catch up to the horde of villains by traveling through the night without sleep? Ok, but you risk exhaustion."

Not only that, there are items, spells, and monster effects that render a player exhausted without the DM's say-so.

Ok, I should have been more clear. You are correct; I'm against exhaustion on a timer; IE, being forced to camp every 5 minutes because an in-game day passed. I understand it as a status effect from items/monsters/abilities.

Last edited by Eguzky; 06/03/20 09:47 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

Ok, I should have been more clear. You are correct; I'm against exhaustion on a timer; IE, being forced to camp every 5 minutes because an in-game day passed. I understand it as a status effect from items/monsters/abilities.

I would argue that, if you went 24 hours without resting, exhaustion should be on the table. While this is a video game, and a fantasy one at that, having physical limitations on your characters only increases the immersion imo.

journeyman
journeyman

This is why I'm fine with it being a toggleable option.

Why do people seem to want to force it down everyone's throat?

I don't know. Maybe they sit and have conversations with themselves while the forced rest plays out.. or something? I really don't understand it.

journeyman
journeyman

It's not the DM's responsibility to take a player character's exhaustion into account. If they risked exhaustion and became exhausted, that's just the way it is and they have to find a creative way around it.

It is the GM that makes the story.

If the GM tells the players "You want to try to catch up to the horde of villains by traveling through the night without sleep? Ok, but you risk exhaustion." that is entirely up to the GM. It is his story.
What is he going to do if the players say "Nah, we sleep"? Let the story die?
All choices in any game are completely arbitrary. They are completely up to the GM. The GM is not forced to do put anything on his players that she doesn't want to happen.

So, it is always the GMs choice what he puts on players.
(There are a few systems where this is not true, but none have anything to do with DnD)

Edit: Sorry missed the last part of your post. Well yes, there are effects that will make you exhausted. Those play very well into crpgs actually, and I think these are ok. I am not against the mechanics of exhaust at all actually, I just find it unnecessary in a crpg and kind of a waste of time in most TT games *shrug*

Last edited by Cirolle; 06/03/20 10:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm sorry to say that... you'll have to rest in BG3, even if you don't like it wink

journeyman
journeyman

If the GM tells the players "You want to try to catch up to the horde of villains by traveling through the night without sleep? Ok, but you risk exhaustion." that is entirely up to the GM. It is his story.
All choices in any game are completely arbitrary. They are completely up to the GM. The GM is not forced to do put anything on his players that she doesn't want to happen.

So, it is always the GMs choice what he puts on players.
(There are a few systems where this is not true, but none have anything to do with DnD)

This is simply not true. The GM facilitates the story, yes, but the players influence it. It is the GM's responsibility to adapt. If the players say "Nah, we sleep," the story doesn't die, it changes.

The GM is responsible for realistically playing out the choices of the player characters. The players decide to rest? Fine. The players decide to forgo rest? Fine. They must deal with the consequences of whatever they choose. But in the end, it's their choice. The GM cannot predict which way the players will decide to go, so he/she must adapt the consequences to fit.

A GM creates the world and the basis for the plot, but the story itself is shaped by the players and their decisions.

Last edited by Gmazca; 06/03/20 10:06 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'm sorry to say that... you'll have to rest in BG3, even if you don't like it wink

Alright, trying to ignore your nonsense posts, but you just keep going out on tangents.
Would you please stop?

Banned
Banned

I must say, if this is your view of the GM/player relationship, then you have played with some very horrid GMs.

@Gmazca is correct, the purpose of the game mechanics are to allow player choice. The GM referees those choices, and tells the story as the players play it, if the players choose to go after a horde of villains, that is their choice. If they choose to chase so long that they risk fatigue, that is their choice. The point of the rules is to explain the consequences of choice.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I would argue that, if you went 24 hours without resting, exhaustion should be on the table. While this is a video game, and a fantasy one at that, having physical limitations on your characters only increases the immersion imo.

It increases the immersion FOR YOU.
For ME, it's just an annoyance.

Hence why I don't mind it being a toggleable option.

What the hell is with people and this game having an all-or-nothing attitude? It HAS to be RTwP or it's not BG. It HAS to have timed exhaustion for ALL players!

Just make it a choice, so people can chose to have timed exhaustion or not. My method of playing without it won't ruin your enjoyment, will it?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard