Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2 [Re: kungfukappa] #662576
07/03/20 09:39 PM
07/03/20 09:39 PM
Boeroer Offline
journeyman
Boeroer  Offline
journeyman

With "potentially" longer I also mean encounters with a lot of combatants. Naturally those take way longer in TB mode - that's why those usually get avoided then. Check out Belranga in Deadfire with Turn Based mode I guess... wink
Which is ok. One doesn't necessarily need LotR-scale battles in every RPG.

Re: Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2 [Re: kungfukappa] #662580
07/03/20 10:16 PM
07/03/20 10:16 PM
DaKatarn Offline
apprentice
DaKatarn  Offline
apprentice

IMO it's the heart of all problems, the goal is making Baldur's Gate 3 not just a Dungeon and Dragons game.

This is an essential nuance.

Re: Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2 [Re: Boeroer] #662590
07/03/20 11:55 PM
07/03/20 11:55 PM
Belfast
Wormerine Offline
enthusiast
Wormerine  Offline
enthusiast

Belfast
Originally Posted by Boeroer
With "potentially" longer I also mean encounters with a lot of combatants. Naturally those take way longer in TB mode - that's why those usually get avoided then. Check out Belranga in Deadfire with Turn Based mode I guess... wink

First of all, hello Senpai Boeroer.

When playing though Deadfire in turn-based I think there was a clear distinction between main game, and post release content (DLCs, mega-bosses). In RTwP I found core game, to be usually to brief to enjoy and I found DLC balance to be right. In turn based I felt every single DLC fights dragged on. Megabosses were on another level, taking 30min-1h in Turn based mode.

I did like what I saw in BG3 demo. Encounters seemed to be punchy, with every hit being quite impactful. Whenever it will hold up in person (not too easy to explot) remains to be seen.

Re: Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2 [Re: kungfukappa] #662600
08/03/20 02:37 AM
08/03/20 02:37 AM
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Offline

Duchess of Gorgombert

The Frog & Hounds
Guys, I shall remind you again, TB/RTwP discussion in the pinned topic, please. One discussion about the subject is more than enough, we don't need another one in every other topic.

J'aime le fromage.
Re: Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2 [Re: Wormerine] #662606
08/03/20 03:24 AM
08/03/20 03:24 AM
A
Archaven Offline
Archaven  Offline
A

Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Boeroer

First of all, hello Senpai Boeroer.

When playing though Deadfire in turn-based I think there was a clear distinction between main game, and post release content (DLCs, mega-bosses). In RTwP I found core game, to be usually to brief to enjoy and I found DLC balance to be right. In turn based I felt every single DLC fights dragged on. Megabosses were on another level, taking 30min-1h in Turn based mode.

I did like what I saw in BG3 demo. Encounters seemed to be punchy, with every hit being quite impactful. Whenever it will hold up in person (not too easy to explot) remains to be seen.

The punchy part is what i hate the most. Together with the audio effects... it seems like a funny hilarious Baldur's Gate game. i kinda like the fun jokes from characters like jan jansen more than this funny punching BG3.

Since "dice rolls" is a thing.. i'm not sure how Larian will make the bosses more difficult. I much appreciate tactics + min level + gear level + buffs + consumables to take on bosses. Rather than said.. bloated HP bosses where 10000 magic missiles won't kill it.

Re: Senior Combat Designer Hasn't Even Played BG1 or 2 [Re: Emrikol] #662779
08/03/20 08:20 PM
08/03/20 08:20 PM
Razorback Offline
apprentice
Razorback  Offline
apprentice

Originally Posted by Emrikol
Originally Posted by Wiborg Sturmfels
Larian Studios primarily wants to make their player base happy and don´t care much about the old, hard to please, old-school fans but hope that a few them will also buy their game because of the name.

Old school didn't start in 1998. I'm in the old school group (AD&D 1st and 2nd editions) and I'm all in.

QFMT / (Mostly) lol. Yes I know that BG was base on the 2nd edition ruleset but my reply was based upon "Old school didn't start in 1998". I'll move on to the next thread as this one is feeling like slogging through a sewer in Waterdeep.

Last edited by Razorback; 08/03/20 08:45 PM.

Thanks for reading...

Razorback aka Daevin Aruth
"Nullius Pavet Occursum" = "He fears not meeting with any one"
Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves...
https://discord.gg/jxA5AvA
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Freddo, vometia