Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#661956 06/03/20 12:04 PM
Madaras Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So I'm wondering, and I'll go so far as to say suggesting as well, if BG III will have New Game Plus.

Gaining Bonuses I think would be a good way to do it. An additional attribute point plus a perk for each origin character you beat the game with.

As an example.
First play through
If you beat the game with a vampire spawn you'd get an attribute point and +10% resistance to fire

Second Playthrough
Play as the wizard and you get an an additional attribute point and you get +10% to your magic shield

Third Playthrough
Play as the dark cleric and get an additional attribute point and +10% to your magic damage or +10% to HP recovery through spells or items.

As a few possibilities. I think this sort of system works best as retaining all your money an items would be lame in my opinion. I find it hard to replay an RPG, especially a long RPG, without retaining some sort of perk for the achievement. So this is something I would very much like to see introduced.

Madaras #661966 06/03/20 12:44 PM
veteran
veteran
Interesting concept. Why not simply the "export character" function then?

Madaras #661983 06/03/20 01:30 PM
addict
addict
In Game perks present possible balancing issues, but I know what you mean about starting completely from scratch and rehashing the whole beginning section, which in games is usually the least interesting until you get out of the hand holding area and into explore mode.

Madaras #661992 06/03/20 01:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Sorry, but I do not understand: First you finish the game and then you get options to make the next playthrough easier?
The first playthrough will be the hardest because you have to learn everything.
The next one will be easier because you already know the basics and some details about areas and quests, even if you take a different route.

PoE2 did a similar thing: You could unlock bonusses by getting achievements in the game.

I think that all options should be there from the start.
There is a default difficulty but you have other options too.
If some players think they need some bonusses to get through the game they can get them. Though players cannot know how hard it gets before they start playing.
If players want to play solo with no reload and some extra challenges from the start, they should be free to torture themselves as much as they want.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
Madaras #663561 13/03/20 12:54 AM
Madaras Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I just finished Divinity Original Sin II Definitive Edition. Aside from being woefully disappointed at the ending both in terms of content and boss battle. I was extremely disappointed that after obtaining divinity the game is over. There could have been 2 more acts where you pursue the god-King or at least, as I was saying in this post. Being able to start a new game with even something as benign as permanent Spirit Sight and your pet Phoenix. Perhaps even a halo and the ability to pass the Lucian Statute test in the path of blood. There are plenty of soft ways one could reward the player for spending all that time through the game which would add to the replayability and make up a little for the disappointing ending. Preferably though there wouldn't be a disappointing ending with so many loose ends.

Madaras #663562 13/03/20 01:00 AM
veteran
veteran
Admittedly I never liked a single "NEW GAME+" mode in general, I'm really not a fan of the idea at its core.
That said, I think it would be an exceedingly poor fit for a game based on D&D, where the struggle for progression is basically the point of it and where most creatures are supposed to have a certain pre-established set of stats and abilities, so inflating numbers for the sake of it wouldn't make too much sense.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #663564 13/03/20 01:11 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
Admittedly I never liked a single "NEW GAME+" mode in general, I'm really not a fan of the idea at its core.
That said, I think it would be an exceedingly poor fit for a game based on D&D, where the struggle for progression is basically the point of it and where most creatures are supposed to have a certain pre-established set of stats and abilities, so inflating numbers for the sake of it wouldn't make too much sense.

The way I could see it is that a NG+ mode puts you back at level 1, maybe lets you keep your gear, but ALSO allows you to re-make your character, but also REMEMBERS your dialogue/moral choices.
It greys them out or otherwise marks them so you know 'I did that already', so you can make different choices without trying to remember every little thing you did.

Eguzky #663569 13/03/20 01:22 AM
Madaras Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I like the idea of denoting choices you made before. Not so much keeping your gear. That would make you majorly OP. If you take Divinity II as an example If you had end game level 20 year you'd be one hit killing almost everything.

Madaras #663570 13/03/20 01:24 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Madaras
I like the idea of denoting choices you made before. Not so much keeping your gear. That would make you majorly OP. If you take Divinity II as an example If you had end game level 20 year you'd be one hit killing almost everything.

The gear idea was for people who wanted to zip through and just see the different choices.
Of course, other people could sell the gear to buy more level-appropriate gear for a smaller edge, or just dump it all.

Madaras #663648 13/03/20 01:21 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Wouldn't this just discourage replaying the game with different companions.

Schuesseled #663699 13/03/20 05:02 PM
Madaras Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
If you're talking about what I proposed. Then exactly the opposite. As the more playthroughs you play as using different companions you unlock more benefits.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard