Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Madja Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Just wanted to let everyone know that the senior writer of the game did an interview recently in case people haven't seen it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/baldurs-gate-3-writer-take-21600314

apprentice
apprentice
Good interview.

addict
addict
Yes. Linked to at the bottom of page 16 in this thread yesterday

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=653471&page=16

M
Madja Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Ah okay. Sorry for double posting then smile

veteran
veteran
Thanks for the link.

It's just an opinion but it really looks Larian's will for BG3 is to fit with D&D and they have not much considerations about BG1 and 2.
They said in other interview they all read the book with the rules and things like that, but they didn't remember BG1 and 2.

The mistake is to consider Baldur's Gate is D&D... What it's not for many players.
I'm sure "nearly" everyone could be pleased if they considered more BG as a video game (first RPG ever for many players) instead of only a D&D computer experience (it obviously is also, but not only).

But anyway, I'm nearly sure the game is going to be a success but not a part of the legend we'll talk about in 20 years smile
(I like to speak about legend, because it's really what it is for lots of video game players).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 10:56 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Nice thank you, I hadn't seen this (even if it is a link at the bottom of page 16 in another thread)

I liked reading this very much

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Thanks for the link.

It's just an opinion but it really looks Larian's will for BG3 is to fit with D&D and they have not much considerations about BG1 and 2.
They said in other interview they all read the book with the rules and things like that, but they didn't remember BG1 and 2.

The mistake is to consider Baldur's Gate is D&D... What it's not for many players.
I'm sure "nearly" everyone could be pleased if they considered more BG as a video game (first RPG ever for many players) instead of only a D&D computer experience (it obviously is also, but not only).

But anyway, I'm nearly sure the game is going to be a success but not a part of the legend we'll talk about in 20 years smile
(I like to speak about legend, because it's really what it is for lots of video game players).

I know it is a mistake to engage with you, but...

BG2 is done. The story is finished. Let it rest in peace instead of digging it up and trying to resurrect it. That would be far worse than anything else.
It was a really fun story and game to play and you can go back and play it anytime you want.

20 years have passed, 100 years in the game world. Things change, for some it is for the better, for some it feels like its for the worse.
One thing is certain. You do not like this game at all, and nothing will make you like it. And that is ok. It doesn't delete BG2 or the fond memories you have of it at all.

With that being established, I am wondering what you think you are going to get out of you relentless attacks on BG3?
To an outsider it simply looks like you just want to piss some people off or maybe even have a hope that BG3 will not be made at all. But I don't know.
What is your endgame here, once you are done laughing at people that get upset about your posts?

veteran
veteran
It's not, I can have conversations with people that have differents opinions than I.
Of course the way you bring things looks like "I'm on the right way, things have changed, your opinion and your thoughts are false, you're just here to cry" so it's obviously difficult to start any serenely discussions whith people so patronizing wink

Anyway, my goal is this game looks a bit more like Baldur's Gate, because there's reasons why players still talk about these games 20 years after their release. Please can you tell me the name(s) of other(s) franchise/licence that had NO new opus since 20 years we're still talking about ?
Maybe you don't care about such things... It's your right, such it's mine to care about.

I warmly invite you to read and comment this thread if you are interrested about "my" feelings and my ideas ("" because I'm not the only one that had created this list) :

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=661738#Post661738

EDIT : Oh, and you probably noticed EN is not my native languages. Sorry for the spelling, probably sometimes wrong words I use and so on, I'm doing my best.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/03/20 11:59 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
It's not, I can have conversations with people that have differents opinions than I.
Of course the way you bring things looks like "I'm on the right way, things have changed, your opinion and your thoughts are false, you're just here to cry" so it's obviously difficult to start any serenely discussions whith people so patronizing wink

Anyway, my goal is this game looks a bit more like Baldur's Gate, because there's reasons why players still talk about these games 20 years after their release.
Please can you tell me the name(s) of other(s) franchise/licence that had NO new opus since 20 years we're still talking about ?

I warmly invite you to read and comment this thread if you are interrested about "my" feelings and my ideas ("" because I'm not the only one that had created this list) :

EDIT : Oh, and you probably noticed EN is not my native languages. Sorry for the spelling, probably sometimes wrong words I use and so on, I'm doing my best.

That would be going in circles, since the reason I even responded to you here is because of how you acted in that thread.
You seem like you just want everything to burn, and honestly I have a hard time understanding why anyone would waste their time on something they are so negative about.

I have no problems with your English, it's not my first language either.

addict
addict
Thanks for the link.

Link to said article please, because nowhere has that been stated as far as I can tell, only that certain staff members hadn’t played it as much.

Also BG1&2 are very much AD&D games for many people, because we played the TTRPG before BG came out and loved it because it was an awesome game and an awesome D&D game to boot. I’m old enough to have played others prior to the BG series on pc or older systems.

It’s faaaaaaaaar too early to say anything about BG3 other than commenting on the few systems we have been demo’d and the confirmed placeholder assets. To even speculate on how good or not this game is or will be regarded going forward is rather absurd.

Commenting on a direction or a feeling is totally fine.

Your Thread on things to make it feel more like BG is a positive one!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cirolle

Anyway, my goal is this game looks a bit more like Baldur's Gate, because there's reasons why players still talk about these games 20 years after their release.
Please can you tell me the name(s) of other(s) franchise/licence that had NO new opus since 20 years we're still talking about ?

That would be going in circles, since the reason I even responded to you here is because of how you acted in that thread.
You seem like you just want everything to burn, and honestly I have a hard time understanding why anyone would waste their time on something they are so negative about.

I have no problems with your English, it's not my first language either.

Oh then sorry, but I really don"t understand what's wrong in that specific topic wink

Originally Posted by Riandor
Thanks for the link.

Link to said article please, because nowhere has that been stated as far as I can tell, only that certain staff members hadn’t played it as much.

Also BG1&2 are very much AD&D games for many people, because we played the TTRPG before BG came out and loved it because it was an awesome game and an awesome D&D game to boot. I’m old enough to have played others prior to the BG series on pc or older systems.

It’s faaaaaaaaar too early to say anything about BG3 other than commenting on the few systems we have been demo’d and the confirmed placeholder assets. To even speculate on how good or not this game is or will be regarded going forward is rather absurd.

Commenting on a direction or a feeling is totally fine.

Your Thread on things to make it feel more like BG is a positive one!

I never said they don't played BG or not.
I could have been more accurate. I'm saying they said their main ressources is the D&D rules book, that every employees have on their office, and some of them don't remember well BG1 or 2.. I really won't find a link now, maybe tomorrow if you insists (a lot^^).

About it's too early... I agree for many things. That's why I still have no opinions about tones and color, UI and such things.

The other things is all about feelings. I'm not so positive as you are according to what we see and what I feel Larian's want for this game.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 12:18 AM.

journeyman
journeyman
Thanks for sharing, wasn't aware.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith in Interview
Baldur's Gate wouldn't have existed unless a few brilliant people hadn't said 'we want to make our own game'. We want to make our own story. If we were trying to copy, we're trying to be too beholden to [the previous games], we wouldn't be doing the game because BG 1 and 2 are wildly different. That's important to us, that we say we know the core values of what the name Baldur's Gate means: to do something innovative and to do something that feels fresh.

That is a very good attitude. Stay true to your vision.

There's lots of people that you'll meet, some of them you'll think of as the villain of the story and then later on you find out" No, no, that was a puppet of the villain of the story". He actually isn't necessarily a villain.

And also, what is good and what is evil?

Now THAT is a question I like to think about.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LaserOstrich
Thanks for sharing, wasn't aware.

Baldur's Gate wouldn't have existed unless a few brilliant people hadn't said 'we want to make our own game'. We want to make our own story. If we were trying to copy, we're trying to be too beholden to [the previous games], we wouldn't be doing the game because BG 1 and 2 are wildly different. That's important to us, that we say we know the core values of what the name Baldur's Gate means: to do something innovative and to do something that feels fresh.

That is a very good attitude. Stay true to your vision.

There's lots of people that you'll meet, some of them you'll think of as the villain of the story and then later on you find out" No, no, that was a puppet of the villain of the story". He actually isn't necessarily a villain.

And also, what is good and what is evil?

Now THAT is a question I like to think about.

Yeah liked this but SPOILERS

smile

addict
addict
[quote=Cirolle][quote=Maximuuus]

I could have been more accurate. I'm saying they said their main ressources is the D&D rules book, that every employees have on their office, and some of them don't remember well BG1 or 2.. I really won't find a link now, maybe tomorrow if you insists (a lot^^).

About it's too early... I agree for many things. That's why I still have no opinions about tones and color, UI and such things.

The other things is all about feelings. I'm not so positive as you are according to what we see and what I feel Larian's want for this game.

I’m hopeful, yeah.
I think there is a lot that needs to improve, but I think there’s a ton of key things in relation to feel, story and setting that we just haven’t seen and as a result this whole argument about it being big or not is hinging almost entirely on the combat system.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Riandor
[quote=Cirolle][quote=Maximuuus]

I’m hopeful, yeah.
I think there is a lot that needs to improve, but I think there’s a ton of key things in relation to feel, story and setting that we just haven’t seen and as a result this whole argument about it being big or not is hinging almost entirely on the combat system.

You're wrong with me about combat system.
It's a big part of my deception because, even if I really like TB, it's not what I expect playing a BG.
But anyway, it looks I'll have to live with that... (Or an alternative RTwP game mode but I really don't think they'll plan it).

Of course, if I can't find the basics gameplay elements of the games I love so much, it will be very very more important than other things are here... Because I couldn't like this game as a BG if it's just about D&D, about the city (I don't care about going to Baldur's Gate, I never was in BG2) and about a far link with the story.

(RTwP), D&D rules and Bhaal story is just a part of the game, not the main éléments that makes the experience (see the other topics for details).

Again, this is my point of view.
I know some players that loved BG hated TB. For them it's over.
It's also over for those who would like to see an oldschool isometric view.
It's still not over for me, but I really fear wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/20 12:51 AM.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madja
Just wanted to let everyone know that the senior writer of the game did an interview recently in case people haven't seen it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/baldurs-gate-3-writer-take-21600314

Thanks for sharing.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
journeyman
journeyman
So can we deduce that the game will take place within a 7 day time frame? Or will the tadpole be just the beginning? It would be quite interesting if the game would take place in a week with you trying to get the tadpole out. Definitely a new take on D&D games.

BTW I'm a huge horror buff and especially love Cronenberg, so I'm pretty psyched by him referencing body horror. Very promising!

Last edited by anjovis bonus; 07/03/20 09:05 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus
So can we deduce that the game will take place within a 7 day time frame? Or will the tadpole be just the beginning? It would be quite interesting if the game would take place in a week with you trying to get the tadpole out. Definitely a new take on D&D games.

BTW I'm a huge horror buff and especially love Cronenberg, so I'm pretty psyched by him referencing body horror. Very promising!

The tadpoles have their 'upside' somehow as well, maybe this mind melt-thing could be quite a feature worth keeping, if there was a way to render the tadpole harmless and learn to use it in our advantage. Like using their own weapon against those who...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LaserOstrich
Originally Posted by anjovis bonus

The tadpoles have their 'upside' somehow as well, maybe this mind melt-thing could be quite a feature worth keeping, if there was a way to render the tadpole harmless and learn to use it in our advantage. Like using their own weapon against those who...

I can see the great old one warlock being able to do this or the aberrant mind sorcerer I mean the tadpole is going to have a hard time trying to use it's psychic powers on you when you already have psychic powers to begin with

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard