Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
The showcase was just beautiful and I couldn't help but think that the single player fantasy RPG Dark Ages might be nearing an end.

I know there is a pinned thread about turn based or not, but that has gone south. The last company to get the turned based system mechanics right was SSI in the 90s. This is the first 5e game that looks like 5e (5e is like over 5 years old...why?). Table top D&D is at an all time high and growing, so this coming at the right time. I really hope Lurian stays their course and puts their efforts into making the game as awesome as it can be and not waste man hours trying to please everyone. That's not to say I don't enjoy the pause based D&D games like Eye of the Beholder series, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, ice Wind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, or DDO online, because I very much do. Tactically the 5e has a rule set that has been specifically refined for turn-based game-play and has thus far failed miserably at an attempt to convert it to pause based play, ie the Sword Coast Legend disaster.

I absolutely love this engine! It looks very polished. Finally a modernized D&D platform and good riddance to 1990's graphics! If I were to make a positive suggestion, it would be to sell a tool set for modding. The best of Skyrim was made by moders, and moders love fantasy settings.

From what I have seen so far with the story, I am fairly confident that I will see an enjoyable story. This is where I hope Lurian continues to concentrate their efforts. The story is everything to an RPG. Now my idea of a AAA fantasy story line (not title) would be something like Planescape torment, the KOTOR series, Mass Effect series and odd man out: Vampire the Masqurade Bloodlines. Skyrim was more about build your own story (which should always have a place in RPGs), and I would put Dragon Age and Baulder's gate in like a AA category...completely awesome in their own right. The "AAA" story lines just had so many great characters that it becomes amusing to hear how people would argue over who was the best companion...I mean it was obviously Visas Marr and Tali'zorah (Part joke and part confession). Now Planscape Torment was the first game I ever finished and thought how I was going to miss the characters, it was groundbreaking that way. I had never seen a romance in game, and when Anna opened up and spilled her heart I was like wow...didn't see that coming. At the end I expected all my companions to storm the gates of Hell to come rescue me...and its hard to pick a favorite in that game. All of these games had great soundtracks to set the mood of the story too. Not that I am expecting anything even close to any of these titles, rather just pointing out the North Star.

Like I said looks solid so far! This makes me believe that the days of new quality fantasy titles coming out every year could come back, and trust me, my expectations are modest.

Thank-you very much for your efforts.

P.S. Hexblade Warlock, Swashbuckler Rogue, Divine Sorcerer, and Nature Cleric (+Feats) for the win.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, a NWN 3 with a tool-set for module creation would be great.

journeyman
journeyman
Thank you for sharing your story, adventurer.

Originally Posted by Van'tal
I really hope Lurian stays their course and puts their efforts into making the game as awesome as it can be [...]

I hope so too, and I'm sure they will.

Originally Posted by Van'tal
If I were to make a positive suggestion, it would be to sell a tool set for modding.

Larian made the Editor available for their last game, so chances are pretty good I guess.

stranger
stranger
I thought we were all supposed to hate this game because it's not real time and using the same engine as DoS2?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Quadsword
I thought we were all supposed to hate this game because it's not real time and using the same engine as DoS2?

Don't try to derail the thread, please.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
OP is probably right.
It's been a long Time since the laste good D&D video game and things we saw in the gameplay video showed many new usefull mecanics.
I think no one could disagree with this, whatever is your opinion about BG3.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
apprentice
Hopefully the success of this game might give us many more D&D CRPGs, and sequels to Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale which would be amazing grin

Last edited by deserk; 10/03/20 09:16 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by deserk
Hopefully the success of this game might give us many more D&D CRPGs, and sequels to Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale which would be amazing grin

I hope we do get another Neverwinter Nights game I judge every DND video games by Neverwinter Nights do to the fact that you can do lots of things in Neverwinter Nights and the lifespan for these games was about 10 years not many games can do that the only game that has even comes close to Neverwinter Nights in my opinion is Pathfinder Kingmaker

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
addict
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

I hope we do get another Neverwinter Nights game I judge every DND video games by Neverwinter Nights do to the fact that you can do lots of things in Neverwinter Nights and the lifespan for these games was about 10 years not many games can do that the only game that has even comes close to Neverwinter Nights in my opinion is Pathfinder Kingmaker

NWN lived on so long thanks to the amazing toolset. Frankly for me at least, the game wasn't so great, but having been a member of various very long running Servers, including helping to run 3T (for anyone here who knows it), I can attest to overall how good a D&D experience it provided at the time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Riandor
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock

NWN lived on so long thanks to the amazing toolset. Frankly for me at least, the game wasn't so great, but having been a member of various very long running Servers, including helping to run 3T (for anyone here who knows it), I can attest to overall how good a D&D experience it provided at the time.

Well Neverwinter Nights was my first ever pc video game and Neverwinter Nights 2 was what got me into DND I have not played tabletop DND yet but I am planning on going to a adventure league ones I get the right books

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
veteran
veteran
I would love a NwN3 game so long as it is anyone but Larian making it so that it won't also be TB. Obsidian would be a great choice.

addict
addict
NWN lived on so long thanks to the amazing toolset.

I so very much hope the same for BG3. So much potential here.

veteran
veteran
Toolset + GM Mode plz.

veteran
veteran
There is another game that did it right.
I tried the kickstarter trial version of Solasta: crown of the magister of the french studio Tactical adventures, and they made a very good job too. You cannot play that version anymore, they erase it after the kickstarter because they are improving it and din´t want to show an old version of the gameplay, but it gave me hope about the game.
They have actions, reactions, the shield spell, shield protect, etc... and you play in 3d, with jumps, high ground, feather spell too... all the features of the few classes you have available in the trial version (You also play low level characters) but you had almost everything you can find in the a PNP game.

I agree with the OP, the gameplay showed a lot of things you want to see in a videogame version of D&D5e. I missed some (like reactions, etc) but I hope the devs will improve it in during the alpha period.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
I have not played tabletop DND yet but I am planning on going to a adventure league ones I get the right books[/quote]

Fantasy grounds is a really good platform. As long as the DM has the ultimate license, you can use the free client to connect to the host game. Everyone uses discord for voice (that I know), and sessions usually run 3 hrs. As long as you find a good circle of people, then you tend to meet even more good people. To start you can either do a looking for group thread or check out local resources and (like a store) and ask word of mouth who does table top online.

Best dnd interpretation was temple of elemental evil with the coe patch. Personally I think larian are taking to many liberties such as the hulk jump and mage hand that acts more like a big bys spell then a simple cantrip

enthusiast
enthusiast
Swen says the jump was helped by the Tadpole... Mindflayers have psionics and this is a special tadpole.

I am assuming the tadpole is assisting the mage hand also. We will have to wait and see if that is the case.

Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
Swen says the jump was helped by the Tadpole... Mindflayers have psionics and this is a special tadpole.

I am assuming the tadpole is assisting the mage hand also. We will have to wait and see if that is the case.

so only the pc can jump that far or every npc you get is infected.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by wpmaura

They all could from what I saw.
In some instances it wasn't necesary because unlike a certain Vampire wannabe, they could walk through the water, but all could jump with the same slightly goofy animation (hope they improve it and have an alternative should we be rid of the tadpole and want to jump)

Originally Posted by wpmaura

They all could from what I saw.
In some instances it wasn't necesary because unlike a certain Vampire wannabe, they could walk through the water, but all could jump with the same slightly goofy animation (hope they improve it and have an alternative should we be rid of the tadpole and want to jump)

so the plot is we only find tadpole npcs to help us that way they can justify the hulk super jump and all the other crazy enhanced abilities. I really hope thats not that case. its weak ass writing to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard