Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#663154 10/03/20 02:01 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In the gameplay video you could see a white icon over a char if they succeed in a perception check and a red icon if they fail.
Swen said in an interview that this was intended.

I dislike the idea.
The point of a failed perception check is that you do not realize something hidden is there.
If the game tells you that you did not see something it feels kind of strange, plus it invites save scumming a lot.

I think the game should not inform you about failed passive checks.
Of course nothing that is needed to finish the main quest should be behind such a check, else an unlucky dice roll can prevent you from finishing the game.
In some cases they could cheat and the game does not roll but you detect things automatically if your skill is high enough.
It is OK is you miss some extra loot or a way to finish a quest when there are already 5 different ways to finish it too.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
It's kind of a grey area for me. On the one hand, you want to know that the world is full of secrets, but on the other, the roll breaks immersion in a way.

It's kind of like a DM saying "Roll a Perception Check" and the player rolls too low. Every player at the table knows that they missed something, but now they have no recourse to find out what it was. In that way, the way BG3 handles it is similarly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well this is why I love cheating in video games by putting a lot of points in skills so that way I will not mess out on anything I am probably going to cheat with the dice rolls also no hating me on cheating if you don't like cheating that's fine do you but I love cheating in video games and I will not stop cheating smile

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
In the gameplay video you could see a white icon over a char if they succeed in a perception check and a red icon if they fail.
Swen said in an interview that this was intended.

I dislike the idea.
The point of a failed perception check is that you do not realize something hidden is there.
If the game tells you that you did not see something it feels kind of strange, plus it invites save scumming a lot.

I think the game should not inform you about failed passive checks.
Of course nothing that is needed to finish the main quest should be behind such a check, else an unlucky dice roll can prevent you from finishing the game.
In some cases they could cheat and the game does not roll but you detect things automatically if your skill is high enough.
It is OK is you miss some extra loot or a way to finish a quest when there are already 5 different ways to finish it too.

Agreed. Same with the lack of a fog of war. You see on your map that the dungeon continues beyond the wall, so ... must be some way in. Why even have secret doors and such?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm not too fond of the failed checks being visible either. There's a host of abilities, feats, and spells to boost perception checks if necessary, so no need to game it really. The passive check is a 'take 10' plus modifiers at the outset.

veteran
veteran
I do agree with OP, except it’s a multiplayer game first - it’s there, so if you fail, you can drag a buddy or two over. I thing savescumming in multiplayer is unlikely, unless you get a bunch of like-minded souls. In singleplayer you will probably drag your entire team with you, so most likely, most of the time, you will pass plenty of checks.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard